Multiple birds

Shrub

Nov 30, 2018
Netherlands
Parrots
Giggles - Red Crowned Kakariki
Just curious if I end up wanting more birds But I do not want to breed them, I think for me personally it would be irresponsible to even try. Would I have to get same sexed birds or would it have to be different species. On that can different species breed together? (I know might seem like a stupid question) But I mean 2 little parakeets can't cross breed? Like if you get dogs, different breeds of dogs can cross breed and have babies. Honestly I wouldn't know if birds or some birds can do this with the same bird family even though they are different species.
I do understand they would need their own toys, their own cages and spaces if I ever decide to have multiple birds. If that happens would wait til I buy a new house, then there would either be a bedroom turned into like a large aviary or build an outdoor one.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Just curious if I end up wanting more birds But I do not want to breed them, I think for me personally it would be irresponsible to even try. Would I have to get same sexed birds or would it have to be different species. On that can different species breed together? (I know might seem like a stupid question) But I mean 2 little parakeets can't cross breed? Like if you get dogs, different breeds of dogs can cross breed and have babies. Honestly I wouldn't know if birds or some birds can do this with the same bird family even though they are different species.
I do understand they would need their own toys, their own cages and spaces if I ever decide to have multiple birds. If that happens would wait til I buy a new house, then there would either be a bedroom turned into like a large aviary or build an outdoor one.
It's not a silly question, parrots of totally different species can and do interbreed! Take my varied lorikeet rooster and princess parrot hen for example. You could hardly get two more diverse species, yet they have fallen madly in love, and my bird vet tells me he's seen hybrid chicks produced by the (unintentional!) pairing of a scaly breasted lorikeet and a superb parrot, not vastly different from my two. I've already told him he will NOT be seeing any such thing from mine, but all sorts of hybrids occur in captivity, and often enough in the wild too. Plus even if my two don't actually successfully mate, there's always the chance that my hen might get herself into such a hormonal state over that handsome little rooster that she goes and lays infertile eggs anyway :rolleyes:

So, apart from all of THOSE considerations, and irrespective of whether you have all roosters or all hens, you do have to be prepared for all other possibilities as well. Will they actually get along or will they fight? My lorikeet and one of my 'tiels have decided they hate each other and fight all the time! Will your birds love each other so much that they want to spend all their time together and shut you out completely? As the old adage goes, only get more birds because YOU want them, not as a buddy for an existing one as that may not work out at all, or it might work out just a little TOO well.

I wish you the best of luck!

OP
Shrub

Shrub

Nov 30, 2018
Netherlands
Parrots
Giggles - Red Crowned Kakariki
It's not a silly question, parrots of totally different species can and do interbreed! Take my varied lorikeet rooster and princess parrot hen for example. You could hardly get two more diverse species, yet they have fallen madly in love, and my bird vet tells me he's seen hybrid chicks produced by the (unintentional!) pairing of a scaly breasted lorikeet and a superb parrot, not vastly different from my two. I've already told him he will NOT be seeing any such thing from mine, but all sorts of hybrids occur in captivity, and often enough in the wild too. Plus even if my two don't actually successfully mate, there's always the chance that my hen might get herself into such a hormonal state over that handsome little rooster that she goes and lays infertile eggs anyway :rolleyes:

So, apart from all of THOSE considerations, and irrespective of whether you have all roosters or all hens, you do have to be prepared for all other possibilities as well. Will they actually get along or will they fight? My lorikeet and one of my 'tiels have decided they hate each other and fight all the time! Will your birds love each other so much that they want to spend all their time together and shut you out completely? As the old adage goes, only get more birds because YOU want them, not as a buddy for an existing one as that may not work out at all, or it might work out just a little TOO well.

I wish you the best of luck!
Thanks, I am a planner so I like to know all possible out comes if I decide to do something, the good and bad so I can handle it if need be.

LilyElizabeth

Oct 29, 2023
United States
With birds of any species, owners can discourage breeding by not providing the ideal conditions. We don't buy any toys or accessories that look like boxes, houses, huts, etc. Nothing that a bird could climb into and create a cozy hiding place for a nest. This is another reason to avoid those bird "fuzzy huts"/tents (those have also killed many birds).

LilyElizabeth

Oct 29, 2023
United States
As the old adage goes, only get more birds because YOU want them, not as a buddy for an existing one as that may not work out at all, or it might work out just a little TOO well.
This is good advice - a bird should never be a gift for another bird(s).

One possible benefit is that a bird might learn from observing other birds. Our two Cockatiels began to climb and sit on us more after watching us interact with our Sun Conure. Two of our Budgies will also perch on our hands (for food and treats) since they've watched the other Budgies do it.

LoveMyFids

Aug 19, 2023
Yes, they can cross breed as mentioned above. ALWAYS get them sexed so you know, because it's important & needed if something happens & you need to take one to the vet. For example, if you know you have a male, you won't need to xray for possible egg binding. A lot of times, when a bird is acting off & is ill, you really can't tell what it is that's wrong & there needs to be blood tests & such. Knowing the sex of the bird will save you some cost in emergency & rule out certain things. Be aware that if you have birds of different sexes together (whether in separate cages or not), when they become sexually mature, it will stimulate their hormones. I have one male bird that gets totally hormonal simply because I have 2 female birds too (totally different species). He obviously knows they are females though & just having them in the same room can make him get hormonal. Birds don't always get along & sometimes when they have gotten along, one day they may change, or hormones make them not. The males can tend to get aggressive sometimes when they get hormonal. Especially w/other males. So, those are all things to keep in mind. Also, if you keep them out in a room together (using a room like an aviary), I would make sure you can keep an eye on them always in case something happens. I've heard so many stories from bird rescues where toes & even a beak was ripped off a bird in a split second in the blink of an eye, leading to an emergency vet visit. One lost it's beak completely & then had to be fed mash with a spoon as a result. You never know-they always have to be supervised & watched.

Most Reactions

Latest posts