Must haves for bringing a new baby home..

kimberleyanddarren

Jul 27, 2012
I am getting an African grey (although he wont be ready to come til the end of July).

I have been trying to buy a few bits and start getting ready for his arrival, but I have been looking around at various stores and I think I run the risk of bankruptcy!!

So... I was hoping some existing grey owners would be able to advise me on what is necessary and useful things to have?

Last edited:

Katiejayne

Sep 30, 2013
Parrots
African grey
Green cheek conure
They are expensive, however I would say have a look on the DIY section on this forum there's some great ideas for making your own toys and you don't have to be great at creating things.
Um I'm sure others will be along to help out more but I'd say you want to ensure you've got the cage ready for when you bring her home with various perches and some calcium/ mineral perches. At least one foraging toy. Some sort of treat so you can start training her I use walnuts as it's my bird fav.
I found a stand for another room is a really good thing, although don't have to cost a fortune again I made mine.
Sorry I'm sure there's more but having a mental block
Congratualtions too

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
1-2 preening toys; 1-2 chew toys, preferably something with a pipe bell. The best ones to get are the ones where you can just reload and re-use them.
1-2 non-dowel perches, and some sort of forraging toy.

A playstand of some sort, preferably a portable/wheeled perch for outside the cage time.

ChasUGC

May 14, 2014
I raised and feed my grey as soon as she could barely perch. I use to feed her baby food through a syringe. I was told that it helps with bonding. The most important thing is attention and entertainment. Just don't put the bird in a cage and leave her. I got a cage with a play pen on top, and I left the door open when I was at home. I also got some good mind toys for my Grey. Grey's seem to like using their minds more than the "chew toy" Cockatoo's. I got a spinning wheel with peanuts inside, and my grey would just love spinning it. She started using her feet to spin it instead of her beak, like us. And, she would chuckle while doing it. You will have years of enjoyment with your feathered friend.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Good suggestions already, but the 2 things people always seem to forget (and are essential IMO)- A cage cover for nighttime and a emergency/travel cage. You should also schedule a visit with an avian vet for a wellness checkup (if the breeder doesn't provide it) soon after you bring him home. This both establishes your bird with the vet and identifies any health issues right away (yes, even babies can have health issues).

I know the initial investment of cage, toys, play stand, accessories, vet ext.... not to mention the bird itself, is very expensive. However, once you have him home, the actual cost of upkeep on one parrot isn't too bad.Especially if you get crafty with making toys (they do go through A LOT of toys). Personally, I buy baby toys at garage sales or the goodwill and wash them up and make them into parrot toys. *SO* much cheaper than store bought toys or even store bought toy supplies specifically for birds. Kiwi likes them just as much. I would say in an average month, Kiwi costs under $50. But getting all the things he needed when we brought him home was pricey! The one other thing I suggest is saving up (or a setting aside if you already have it) $1000-$2000 as an emergency vet fund. That way if the bird gets sick or injured at some point, you don't have to scramble to come up with the money for a very expensive vet bill (or at least have a good start towards paying). Just set the money aside and forget about it until you need it. My mom's DYH had probably been to a vet less than 3 times in well over 30 years (she's a very healthy bird), but she broke her foot somehow one day, and it was almost $2000 to fix it properly. She hasn't needed to go back since either, but it wouldn't have been good if there was no funds to pay for her vet expenses when she really needed it. Best of luck, and look forward to seeing your new baby when he comes home:)

Most Reactions