Mustache Parakeet

miloslave

May 17, 2010
South Africa - Cape Town
Parrots
Mustache Parakeet - Milo
CAG - Charlie
Hi there

Does anyone here know at what age the mustache parakeet's bill changes colour to red to see if it is a male or female? I have searched all over the internet but can not seem to find this information. Anyone knows?

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Quincy - Blue Throated Macaw, Skittles and Dusty - Rose Breasted Too's,
Joey - Yellow Crown Amazon, Ashley - CAG
I called a breeder friend and he said on average you can tell between 1.5 to 2.5 years old, but can be as early as a year old to as late as 3 years old, don't know how helpful that is but there ya go.....Bob.

saurabh.gharat

Sep 1, 2010
India, Mumbai
Parrots
moustached parrot female
cockatiel pair
Hi there

i have a female moustache parrot who is somewhere around 2 n 1/2 months old with no pink / salmon colour.i had brought her home thinking it was a ****. it had an orange beak but within a month the beak started getting dark till it finally turned black all this with in a month

deepak

Jul 6, 2016
India
Parrots
Mustache Parakeet
please tell me if you know the answer now

Hi there

Does anyone here know at what age the mustache parakeet's bill changes colour to red to see if it is a male or female? I have searched all over the internet but can not seem to find this information. Anyone knows?

please tell me if you know the answer now

OP
miloslave

miloslave

May 17, 2010
South Africa - Cape Town
Parrots
Mustache Parakeet - Milo
CAG - Charlie
Hi there, it goes dark, almost black and then at around a year and a half it turns red if it is a male, and stays black if it is a female. Hope that helps!

Mom to Charlie and Milo

BIRDIGIRL

Jan 25, 2016
Mayo Ireland
Parrots
Rodney Blue Fronted Amazon
RIP Mr Biggles White Fronted Amazon , Elsa and Little Nellow the Lutino Budgies, Lady Primrose a Pied Budgie and English Budgies Houdini Popeye and Olive
U
I called a breeder friend and he said on average you can tell between 1.5 to 2.5 years old, but can be as early as a year old to as late as 3 years old, don't know how helpful that is but there ya go.....Bob.

The above information seems to go along with this article but there are also other differences like the males are more brightly coloured than the females...I found this an interesting read and full of information

Moustached Parakeet | ParrotFeather.com

Last edited:

Most Reactions