My 2 yrs sun conure sleeping with me since baby

Francinna

May 30, 2017
Puerto Rico
Parrots
Sun Cornure
I know may be unusual but DOROTHY my 2 years old princess sleeps with me under my blankets since two months old. She usually goes to sleep around 7pm between two pillows that are positioned triangular as a camping tend, wish she loves!!! Then moves with me voluntary whenever I go to sleep usually around 11 to 12pm I always wondered if this will do some harm in her development in some way, specially the strengh of her legs do to the nature of them to sleep stepping in a stick. She lives a cage free life since day one. Her big cage is always open and she goes in whenever she pleases. Mostly she flys around and plays with her toys hanging in differents points or in her gym. Im telling all this to make the point that she excersises her body with plenty of space everyday.
But I really need to know about this. Thank you all for your unconditional help
ALWAYS!!!! Blessings!!!!!

itchyfeet

Nov 1, 2014
Middle Earth
Parrots
Ethyl the cockatiel, Henry & Clarke the IRN's, and Skittles the lovebird (my daughters)
You sound like you have an awesome relationship!
Do you worry about rolling on her at all?

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
As sweet as that sounds, please stop. It is so common to hear about this sort of close loving relationship ending with the death of the bird by crushing or suffocation :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Francinna

Francinna

May 30, 2017
Puerto Rico
Parrots
Sun Cornure
My dear Friends thanks for your quick response and your concern. She sleeps over my belly and when I change positions to my sides she moves with me and sleeps over my ribs. We have a perfect sychronization and I dont think Ill ever be able to crushed her, believe me, she will let me know with anticipaton with her letal beak. But thank you anyway for the advice, is something to take under consideration. My major concern is if this modality of sleeping flat for many hours and not stepping in a stick as suppose to can affect her somehow in the future in her extremities, though I see her perfectly healthy and active

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Please I honestly think she would be better in a sleep cage of her own, near you. With all the moving around her rest will be interrupted. If you search on here there are stories of birds dying in this way, please, please desist for both your sakes.

DoubleTake

May 31, 2017
South Orange County, California
Parrots
2 Sun Conures.

R.I.P Lily 3/1/2018 - You were my sweet baby.
I will take 30 mins naps with my guys laying on my chest but never the full night. As plum stated it can be dangerous for the bird if you ever decide to roll over on a restless night. My 3 conures do not sleep in their cage at night. I have them in a little cat bed cave next to my nightstand at night.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Love the idea of the little cat cave thing (those sunnies must think they're all bedded down in a tree:D) or perhaps a co-sleeper designed for infants to keep birdie safe?

https://www.wayfair.com/Summer-Infa...TPh1l3KsPoJe1XcHkuVN-GL3GG37sPJhoCxtwQAvD_BwE

On weekend mornings when my husband is sleeping in, I often take Kiwi upstairs in his pak-o-bird and sit it on my side of the bed, which he really enjoys but also keeps him safe from being rolled over on and then both men can snooze and be out of my hair for a little extra while:D

There have been people who have rolled over much larger birds than a conure by accident and the bird had no time to respond/nip as a snapped neck kills instantly. People kill human infants accidentally rolling over on them, and babies are much bigger than any parrot. It just isn't safe to sleep with anything that is significantly smaller than you unless they have some barrier of protection against them accidentally being rolled on top of. I've seen a few posts over the years about people who have accidentally killed their birds by rolling over them in their sleep. Please do not become one of these posters in the bereavement section. There are several wonderful options to keep your bird safe and still sleep right by you:)

Last edited:

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
I've had birds since I was a child. Unfortunately several have died because of things I thought were perfectly safe and had done for years. I personally know the pain of losing a pet because of my own actions. We know how deeply you love your bird and none of us want to see you suffer like that. Our birds are our lives.

rita1

Jul 28, 2017
Media
I will take 30 mins naps with my guys laying on my chest but never the full night. As plum stated it can be dangerous for the bird if you ever decide to roll over on a restless night. My 3 conures do not sleep in their cage at night. I have them in a little cat bed cave next to my nightstand at night.

your birds are so pretty.

Kendar

Mar 17, 2017
Victoria BC Canada
Parrots
1 female green cheek conure (Bailey)
1 female pineapple green cheek conure (Loki)
You're not even supposed to sleep with babies in the same bed, because of the chance of them being smothered. I know you love your bird and you love sleeping with it, but the risk is really not worth it. Please, for the sake of your bird, even just a small sleeping cage beside your bed.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
birdy go sleep in cage. One nightmare or even just a rough night and they could be dead in the morning

bright_eyes

Jul 28, 2017
Parrots
Yellow-sided conure named Mazzy
As much fun as it is, please stop! You probably will find it very hard to even consider stopping a habit that is so central to your relationship, but it'll be much much more painful when you smush her.
This happened to me, even though he slept in my bed all the time. Actually what happened was someone came and sat on him while I wasn't paying attention for just a minute because they didn't see him. And when I went online to look up the story of what happened to me, I found pages and pages and pages of people reporting the exact same story, and how they have never been able to forgive themselves. There were all kinds of stories, people who said they'd been doing it for years. If one day something unusual causes you to roll over a little fast, then it's very possible your little friend might not have the time to give you a warning. She might get suffocated so she can't breathe or yell. Naps even can be pushing it, but all night...! I know you're doing it for love and pleasure but it isn't likely to end well at all.

Last edited:
OP
Francinna

Francinna

May 30, 2017
Puerto Rico
Parrots
Sun Cornure
Guys, you are 100% right. Thank you for you advices. You truly make me realize how risky and serious this is. Ill never be able to forgive myself if something happens to her while sleeping together or other kind of negligence.
Im rookie in this mom matter, though I take time to read and get informed,
I need to learn from all of you, experienced parents. All your advices, tips, links are so valuable to me and very appreciated. Thanks again.

Blessings to all of you!!!!!

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
We all learn together around here :)

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
I'm grateful you have seen the dangers and are going to correct them.

Sunnies are notorious for cuddling in burrows and snuggling under covers is incredibly tempting for them.

I get how sweet and adorable it is. What I do for Skitty is I let him climb inside my shirt during the day and he will often sleep inside my shirt while I am on the computer. I rarely move, so he likes it, yet I am awake and alert and can watch him.

There are plenty of safer ways to get your 'cuddle fix'. What I do is just one of them.

On a final note, Skittles has a separate sleep cage that is RIGHT beside my bed. I can literally touch the side of his cage without stretching. I sleep better knowing he is right there and I think he does too.

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
Also, in case you feel bad about the 'change', let me reassure you of something.

Skittles used to have a 'happy hut' that he LOVED, but he chewed on regularly. He had one for nearly five years without incident. But then I read horror stories and I decided better safe than sorry. But the hardest thing for me was removing it knowing how much he loved it. But he adjusted just fine. What I do now is put fresh plain paper towels and unscented tissues on the bottom of the cage every night and routinely will play empty tissue boxes (plastic and glue parts removed) and he will make his own little bed. He's just fine now. The funny thing is, I think that change is what led him to start climbing into my shirt as it started shortly after I removed the cuddle hut. So I am so happy I removed it! I'm not tempted to put it back either cause I don't want him to stop climbing in my shirt while I do work. Its just soo cute how he presses his head against my heart and goes to sleep while I'm either working on the computer or watching tv.

PickleMeDickles

May 17, 2015
Southern California
Parrots
SassyByrd (DYH Amazon) JoJo (GCC) Betty (GCC) DEARLY LOVED fids lost to “Teflon Disaster� 12/17 RIP Pickles (GC),RIP Winston (Sun), RIP Lady PLEASE TAKE 5 MINUTES &TOSS OUT ALL YOUR TEFLON NOW!
What about putting her in a super comfy bassinet right by your bedside When my children were little I let them sleep with us for years. The transition into their own room was perfect. There is not a doubt in my mind that my subconscious knew when my child was at ALL times. Perhaps you have that mommy alarm clock with your bird? Regardless, although I can see everyone's concern and see the validity in it, I think anyone who has slept with their bird as long as you have probably has it down. If you are at all like me though, you will get a much better sleep having the little feathered diva in a bassinet!

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
Really good you've seen it's a dangerous practice, despite being cute. I'd try getting a sleep cage to keep in your room or even right next to the bed so they don't feel suddenly left out

Most Reactions

Latest posts