My 4 mth pineapple greencheek doesn't talk

bollywoodhollywood

Aug 16, 2011
Our beautiful little bird doesn't talk. She makes noise when our dogs bark like them. She doesn't really say anything that we can understand. Is this normal? I thought they didn't speak until they were older. :green:

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
I don't thing they're particularly good at talking human. I could be wrong though. My caique is 4 years old (new to me though), and the only thing I can understand is his name from his previous owner.

emilye2

Aug 13, 2011
NY
Parrots
Moxie-GC
give it time, they will pick up phrases as they go. But it will be hard to understand. A lot of what I get from my GCC is the WAY he says stuff, not the actual sound of the words.

Rio Mom

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
River - Green Cheek
Conure/
Pepper - Congo African Grey/

Rest in Peace Rio
Green Cheeks aren't really known for great talking abilities. What they do say is often in a pretty gruff kinda voice. I THINK River has been trying to say a few things, but it's really hard to understand right now.

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Crillcket is a good talker at 5 months. It is hard for me to believe it as Rosie did not talk until she was 9 months old. He is saying "Hey Cricket".

Conurekidd

Mar 30, 2011
Southern Calif
Parrots
YC Amazon Sampson

Sun Conure Bella

Cinn Green Cheek Conure Rexx
Bella my sun conure talk alot. She was alot. Hard to understand but clear enough to oviously know what she's saying. Rexx picked up everything she says. So both are little chatter boxs. :). Rexx was def under 8 months when he learn "what Bella, stop it, what's up, hugs and kisses, and the smoochy sound". The smoochy sound is clear as day!

Lokums

Jun 25, 2011
Colorado Springs, CO
Parrots
B&G, Senegal
Your birdy may never speak any human understandable words. Depends on the bird. At 4 months old it is unsurprising they aren't saying any words. GCCs are not known to be big talkers in general anyway.

Garnet

May 27, 2011
Media
Silver Springs, Florida
Parrots
5 Green Cheek Conures; 1 Blackcapped Conure; 2 Sun Conures; 3 Cockatiel; 1 Quaker; 1 Whitecapped Pionus; 2 Peach Fronted Conures; 1 parakeet
The most any of my green cheeks say is whats up, good night, good bird and hello. It is only understood by us and most people cannot understand what they are saying. I repeated phrases over and over until they finally picked up a few words. They do have a voice only a mother understands much like a human child when they are learning to talk. It is gravely in nature, but so sweet.

Most Reactions