My Alex demands treats when he steps up

Mrs_peters

Mar 15, 2016
Hi,

My Alex has been with me for more than a month now and he finally steps up and steps down. I read somewhere that it's good to give them treats when they step up and stay on your hand to indicate that it's good to be on the hand. He now DEMANDS for treats. If not, he bites hard on my hand. The guy who sold him to me did mention that he bites for food so I am guessing he gave in to that habit and now Alex (which is his name too) thinks that that works for treats too?

I am new to birds so I freak when he bites and I just give it to him as well! So now I'd him to stay on me for the sake of being with me and not just for the treats! How do I break this habit?

Thanks!

Ps: his bites are pretty hard!

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
Big Bird _ Blue & Gold Macaw
Hi sorry you are having trouble. I do not use treats for actions. BB responds well to excitement and scratches.

Treats I save to give just because :)

I am not sure how you would break the habit . Hope someone will come along soon to help

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Hi you are rewarding a negative by giving in and I can see why.

So if he's good he can stay if not back to his cage. If you do the step up and down's right by his cage it will involve less pain on your behalf as quicker to get him back.

Be focused and decisive when doing these exercises so he cannot take advantage. Possibly change the reward time to when you return to the cage, that being the end of exercise. So up 'good boy', down 'good boy', return to cage, treat.

Mix it up if you can so he doesnt expect a treat everytime, sometimes a fuss or head scratch instead and of course loads of 'good boy's.

Last edited:
OP
M

Mrs_peters

Mar 15, 2016
Hi plumsmum2005! Thanks again for your valuable tip! Yes, I stand right beside his cage and I have been treating him for stepping up on me and stepping down onto his perch on top of his cage. Perhaps I'd now put him back when he tries to bite for the treat. And treat him when he's put back? And I say a lot of 'good boys' but I haven't yet mustered enough courage to scratch his beak. He doesn't like to be touched but off late I've been been touching him when he's inside the cage and giving him treats soon after so he doesn't seem to mind too much.

OP
M

Mrs_peters

Mar 15, 2016
And would you recommend I don't let him go to my shoulder yet? Also, he doesn't like to move anywhere away from his cage looks like. Cuz when I took him to a window so he can see outside he didn't like that cuz he won't step up later. I am kinda tired of meeting him just near his cage.

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
And would you recommend I don't let him go to my shoulder yet? Also, he doesn't like to move anywhere away from his cage looks like. Cuz when I took him to a window so he can see outside he didn't like that cuz he won't step up later. I am kinda tired of meeting him just near his cage.

It needs lots of trust and good behaviour to earn this privilege IMO. Even then you still get a surprise or two LOL. My feeling you a little way off yet.
You could try moving (if poss) his cage about to suit so he gets used to going places ha ha. Have wheels will travel! Perhaps this will give him some confidence and you can then maybe introduce trips! As in introductions to new rooms in the house, talking to him all the while. My Plum takes himself on them now! I sense a possible need to increase your trust in him also?
Keep going you will get there! :)

OrnithAudrey

May 26, 2015
Katy, TX
Parrots
At home: Clover- Alexandrine, Sage- Moustache parakeet
At work: Rio- Hyacinth macaw, Major- Major Mitchell's cockatoo, Fruit Loop- Keel-billed toucan, Bayju- Black palm cockatoo
A month is really not long at all to establish trust, but it sounds like you are making good progress. In my experience, especially with my own Alex, they are very cage territorial. Clover was very aggressive and cage bound when we first got her and taking her away from her cage in another room to train was the first step that led to the much friendlier girl she is now. Have him step up onto a perch if you're uncomfortable using your hand, go into another room for 5-10 minutes and then allow him to go back in his cage. He will likely be uncomfortable to begin with, but gradually increase the time increments and that will get him used to and much more comfortable being away from his cage. As for shoulder privileges, they need to be earned, so I would definitely not recommend it as long as he is still biting. I know first hand how much their bites hurt on the hand, I'd hate to feel one on my face!

OP
M

Mrs_peters

Mar 15, 2016
Hey guys! Thanks so much! I took his cage into the room and brought him out and he sat with me on the bed, climbed onto my thigh and was so comfortable! He didn't want to go back to his cage! Ha! Wow, that was quick progress!!

Mekaisto

Jan 8, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Zookeeper who has worked with many bird species, and owner of a cheeky red-tailed black cockatoo (Ash)
Have you tried getting him to step up onto a perch/pole/branch/stick rather than your hand?

Give him a treat every time he steps up, then reduce it to one treat occasionally, and eventually not at all. If he bites the stick, he won't get any reaction!

OP
M

Mrs_peters

Mar 15, 2016
Hi again! Alex and I were doing pretty well. Today when I gave my (still gloved) hand to step up, he bites! He stepped up just this morning!

GracelynNBirds

Nov 24, 2015
Texas
Parrots
Pearl, Female, Cockatiel: Penelope
Is it possible to try clicker training? Clicker training can help with A LOT of issues with parrots, and their trainers. And it's something fun and rewarding you BOTH can do! While clicker training you can introduce your bird to random treating. There is a lot of books, videos, YouTube videos, ect to help with clicker training. I hope this helped, and good luck for you both! :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts