My Amazon Is Sick HELP

Facex2

Nov 25, 2010
Ok so I do have a vet appointment tomorrow that is as soon as I could get him in. I live in southern Michigan and if you can't eat it or milk it most vets won't deal with it..

My Jackie is a 25 plus year old yellow nape Amazon that started actin funny on Sunday.. he is not eating or drinking much and his poop is real dark green (was told to look at the poop it can tell you alot) so today I notice his nose holes are all clogged up what do I do so he can breath?? All he wants to do is sleep and lay on me he is puffed up all the time sleeps with both feet on his perch and is not as active as normal.. So I need help what can I do to make him comfortable until tomorrow we have a hour plus drive to the vet...:(

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
aww i am sure some 1 with more experiance will be along soon, an keep us up dated, hope all goes well tomorrow with jackie

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
Seems like he may have an upper respriatory infection. You will have to keep him warm in a hospital cage temperature around 28 to 30C (82-86F) should be a moist humid warmth or you will help dehydrate the bird more quickly, try to get him to have some electrolytes even. Aim for about 70% humidity.

Give food & water close by if sitting on bottom of cage. Give an Electrolyte in his water to boost his energy. If not eating he may have some peanut-butter on toast. If he won't eat you may have to syringe some handrearing food into his beak he may swallow some of that. The sooner you can get him to the Vet the better chance of survival. Good Luck

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
First of all....I'M NOT A VET...i'd do what Pedro suggested.Keep the bird 80 F (warm) I think you might have a bacteria infection,we give our birds Batrel as an antibiotic for infection like that .ASK YOUR VET ,if he thinks it might be a infection. I wish i could help more , but i'm not a vet. PS lot's of liquids ,we use pedialyte mixed 50% with water.

Last edited:

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
This seems like an emergency situation, birds don't generally show signs of illness until it has progressed to the point that they can no longer hide it, if you started to notice on sunday that she was acting sick I really don't think it's a good idea to wait another day to see a vet, it's already tuesday which means she has been showing signs of illness for atleast 2 days already. If your vet doesn't understand the importance of this situation maybe you should consider changing vets? Or maybe you could find an emergency vet close to you? I really hate recommending emergency vets to people with birds or reptiles though, because more often than not, they are not well educated with how to treat exotics and I have gone to few with snakes already, only to realize I know more about them than the emergency vet does and end up paying hundreds of dollars for them to do give a basic exam and suggest I go to my regular vet! I'm sure not all of them are like this, but the ones near me only seem to know anything about cats and dogs. If it were me, I think I would call around and see if there are any vets that are trained in avian medicine that could see her tonight. Good luck and I hope she pulls through whatever has her feeling icky. If it is a respiratory infection she will need to be put on antibiotics and the sooner you start them, the better.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
What city are you near? have you checked out ,,, Avian Web,com ?

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
I fully agree a pet ER is what is needed here. I have gone to one for less than that. A vet in an ER will see birds.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
If your vet gives you Batril we use dog pills 12mg and break them into 1/4, In other words 3-4 mg for a YN once aday for 10 days, if you use the pills ,grind them up and put on wet fruit that bird enjoys(we use orange slice). Taste is an issue,the liquid is bitter too,best results for us are to sprinkle on fruit. If you use the liquid try putting it on bread.

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
If you still have to wait to see the Vet. If your bird is heavy breathing & tail bobbing & it's likely having trouble breathing you could set up a tempory nebulizing chamber if you can get your hands on a nebulizing unit. Use F10 antibacterial solution in the machine & cover his cage with plastic. Only need to nebulize twice a day for 20 to 60 minutes.

If you need further help with this PM me.

mele

Jul 26, 2011
California
Parrots
Lotty- Umbrella Cockatoo,
Scarlet- Scarlet Macaw,
Paco- Lilac Amazon, Josh-blue front amazon
Any updates on your amazon?? Please keep us posted. I hope he feels better soon

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
So what's up with Jackie? What did the vet say? Did you find a good vet?

OP
Facex2

Facex2

Nov 25, 2010
Well took him to vet they took blood and swiped his mouth and but gave him a shot and I got 2 kinds of meds to give him now when I got him home on wednsday he was doin good but now he will not eat anything he is weak I am scared I am going to lose him I spoke with the vet this morning and he said he shoudl turn around but how do I get him to eat?? should I try a dropper with food in it I am in tears I also have to work tomorrow so husband will have to take him and Jackie is not too fond of the husband I am sick with worrie

merlinsmom13

Jul 27, 2010
Beckley, WV
Parrots
Merlin a Red Crowned Amazon
Do you have handfeeding formula to feed w/a syringe? I'm not sure where you can buy this locally, a vet hospital or big pet store? Have you tried pedilite, the sports drink for children, that is something you can buy @ the grocery. I would go to the grocery, now & get some. It might help keep up his strength until you can get a better solution.

The handfeeding formula could you use human formula? Someone w/more experience can answer this.

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
This bird needs intensive care now, if you can get hold of handrearing food & a syringe & try to feed it about 5mls of prepared formula every 1hour or so. His meds can also be given in the rearing food. Failing that he may have to be taken back to the Vet to be crop fed. Meds alone will not save this bird he also needs food.

It is also very important to keep him warm.

Most Reactions

Latest posts