My Bald Lovebird

agk

Dec 20, 2023
Parrots
Red neck, Love bird, parakeet (budgies)
hello all,
i am new in forum. i want to discuss regarding my Lovebird. he is bald from body.i get it from my friend. he don't know about his age etc. the bird is very playful and very enjoying in cage, properly eating. anyone help me about his baldness from body. picture is also attached. any cure any solution?

waiting
AGK

Attachments

• LOVE-BIRD.jpg
    LOVE-BIRD.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 19

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Welcome and be welcomed. Congrats in your lovebird! THere are 2 causes for this type baldness. One is medical, which is rare, and the other is called plucking. Plucking means the bird is doing this himself. There are many reasons they do this, some mental (yes mental!) and some from stress and others. So I would, if possible, take him to a Certified Avian Vet (no dog & cat vet!), but I see in your area that might not be possible. That would rule out a medical cause. The other cause, self plucking, is really , really hard to prevent. Let him settle down in his new home for a few weeks. Try to observe him actually plucking, note when he does it. After he has settled in, and you are a good long way to establishing a strong bond with him, tr and provide him with toys that will allow him to possibly take out his urge to pull feathers out on the toy, rather then himself. Another way is to get a small flexible collar for him (much like a dog shield type collar) which would prevent him from being able to reach his feathers. Using one has its own downsides (he will not be able to preen his feathers at all, so he will need help keeping clean) and getting to food bowls may be a bit challenging. Getting him used to a collar has its own stresses.

But take heart! Many parrots that are pluckers live long, and happy lives, with owners who love them! PLease search the board here, using the search function, to get more info on plucking and its causes and ways to deal with it.

OP
A

agk

Dec 20, 2023
Parrots
Red neck, Love bird, parakeet (budgies)

Wrench13 (moderator) my love bird is recoverd , Thanks to ALLAH almighty. he is covered with feathers. you may check the pictures. i also got female love bird for him. he is very happy now :) . thank you so much again.​

Attachments

• RECOVER.jpg
    RECOVER.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 14
  • RECOVER2.jpg
    RECOVER2.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 14

Most Reactions

Latest posts