My beginnings with birds

WharfRat

Jul 3, 2012
Central Tx
Parrots
2 Bolivian Green Wings-ReaRea & Miri,
2 Yellow Naped 'Zons- Shiloh & Halo,
Hahn's Macaw-Kalani
Feeling a little introspective today and was thinking back to my first bird.....

I was very young but was always an animal lover, I had a good friend in high school that was a fanatic about wildlife so I guess he introduced me to animals other than dogs and cats. He had more snakes than I could count, he also had ferrets, an Akita (Japanese fighting dog heritage) and even an Arctic white fox (which was stolen).

I really don't remember why I bought my first bird but GAWD I loved him! He was a male cockatiel, very young....... being ignorant (and very young) I named him "Dummy". Now after typing this I remember why and where I got him.:eek:

I was about 21 at the time (about to turn 53 in 6 days) I was a pipeline surveyor in Texas, we pretty much worked 7 days a week, 10-14 hours a day and traveled constantly. I basically lived in hotels year round, but the pay at the time was astronomical for someone my age and just a high school education. Funny thing about being a surveyor back then, they didn't have a very good reputation I found out down the road. (I learned to quit putting "occupation" on the hotel registry to avoid getting turned away!). I literally worked in small towns that I actually hid my long hair under a hat to avoid trouble! :eek:

Obviously it was a pretty lonesome life at the time for one so young. I was at a pet store in a mall one day/night when I saw first saw "Dummy". I thought to myself; "What a perfect companion for my traveling". (Yea, I know, not a good "stable" environment for a bird :rolleyes:) Man did I get lucky!!! Dummy was AWESOME!!! We hit it off immediately and to me it was a Godsend at the time, at least it was for my mental well being, he ended up going everywhere with me except work. I was working in Laredo once and was in the parking lot for something and as always I had him on my shoulder, a loud noise scared him and he flew off and out of sight over the 2 story hotel. I was in shock, he had NEVER left me before!!! I just stood there numb, not knowing what to do........ before I knew it there he was flying back and he landed in a nearby tree. I walked over and called him and he flew right down! :11: I immediately took him to my room and clipped his wings! (I had bought several books on raising and caring for them).

Flash forward to about 4 years later, I quit my job (boss from HELL) and headed back home (between Houston and Galveston on the Tx. coast) to Clear Lake. I ended up getting a job months later selling motorcycles of all things. :rolleyes: (I still had connections back home) and was renting a house in Bacliff, Tx (on the coast). Soon after that my mom called me, she knew how much I loved dogs growing up, I ended up with my 1st solid black GSD! :) I named him "Leto", after the "Dune Trilogy" books, he was just a tiny thing at the time. I was obviously worried hoe him and Dummy would get along.....They got along GREAT!!!! Dummy ended up being the "dominant" of the 2, I would give them scraps from dinner and they would eat fron the same plate even, although Dummy would reach over and nip Leto on the nose for being a pig. :D They ended up fantastic friends and I never worried about Dummy 'cause I knew Leto would protect him. (Leto was a VERY good guard dog!).

Now y'all know this was coming, the day my heart was broken for quite some time and unlike anything I'd been thru before (women included!). Dummy was really never caged at home and had free reign of the house along with Leto.

I always kept a glass of water by my bed forever and I never thought about it. I came home from work one day only to find Dummy had slipped and drown in my glass of water. :( I was devastated, I mean totally and utterly devastated, I cried uncontrollably for days if not weeks, I broke down at even the mention of him, it was like a part of my soul had been ripped from me. I think the only reason I held together was Leto.......He definitely knew what my emotions were and would not leave my side for anything.

So there it is, my introduction into the world of birds, I had a few since but it wasn't the same. Now, some 30 years later I can actually talk about it without it killing me. My ReaRea is healing some very old wounds that I thought would never heal but she has done it. I hope y'all appreciate my "soul baring", I have my reasons for doing so today but that's another story altogether..........

God Bless......

birdbrainzz4me

Dec 22, 2012
michigan
Parrots
former m&f si Eclectus
that was a beautiful, and touching story of how you got started on birds. i can relate to you on how you felt when you lost ur tiel. your story kinda reminded me of mine with andrew the bp2 i helped raise. i hope i can find a gw that will heal my missing pieces like rea rea has done for you. she's so lucky to have you as a daddy! :)

plax

Banned
Banned
Jun 29, 2012
United States
Parrots
'Jack' (Blue & Gold),
'Maynard' (Military),
'Zaffer' (Hyacinth),
'Salsa' (Green-wing)
Sooo, WharfRat... YOU were that long-haired pipeline surveyor guy who used to walk through parking lots in Texas 30 years ago with a cockatiel perched on your shoulder who I've heard so much about, ay? (just kidding ;))

That's a truly touching story, WR :(. So many folks can't seem to imagine how people like us can have such amazingly powerful bonds with our birds, or how incredibly devastated we feel when something happens to one of them. I personally try to have as little to do with such folks as possible. I've long held the opinion that you can judge the quality of someone's character by whether or not they're inclined to connect with and bond to a companion bird. Those who find this particular quality frivolous... are frivolous individuals themselves in my view. You, on the other hand, are in the other group... the group of special people who know and deeply appreciate the friendship, love and dedication that so many great parrots have to offer :).

Your story is heartfelt and genuine. Thanks so much for sharing it with us :)

LoryLover

Jan 1, 2013
Southern California
Parrots
Chattering Lory, 18yrs old (Sweet Pea)
Thanks for sharing, I really enjoyed reading your story, and I feel your pain at the loss of your beloved pet. I also lost a beloved little birdie about 15 years ago, and it was one of the saddest times in my life.

I currently have one chattering lory and a salt water aquarium. I've loved sea life forever, when I was 12 yrs old I ordered 2 miniature seahorses through the mail. When I was 19 I got a pair of finches. A year later my neighbor needed to find a home for her two peach faced lovebirds, so I happily took them. I had lovebirds for the next several years. My husband, daughter and I had such enjoyment from them ... once we had 5 of them at one time.

During the time with the lovebirds I got a small 5 gal aquarium and a couple seahorses. That was an interesting adventure because I was also hatching my own brineshrimp to feed them.

When I was about 32 I took a vacation from birds (our last lovebird had died). But when my daughter was 14, she begged and begged me to get another bird. Finally I gave in and she picked out a Red Lory as our new bird. Now, 20 years later and I've been into lories ever since. About 12 years ago we bought a house that the previous owner had installed a 150gal tank inside a wall between the family room and office. We have enjoyed the tank and still have one of the first fish we bought for it that we named Wanda - she is a naso tang and very beautiful.
Here's a vid of the fish tank:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qq5fn4pdBbE]Home Aquarium - Niger Trigger Swims - YouTube[/ame]

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
That was a powerful, yet incredibly gentle and touching story. :( Thank you so much for opening up, Scott. HUGS!!!

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fargo- Blue and Gold Macaw
Just like everyone else has said, that was such a touching story :( Thank you for sharing, only someone with a bird can understand the bond that is created.

OP
WharfRat

WharfRat

Jul 3, 2012
Central Tx
Parrots
Hahn's Macaw-Kalani
I personally try to have as little to do with such folks as possible

That pretty much sums it up in a nutshell for me as well. I spent many a year trying to be a "good guy" and all I got was screwed in return. Even people in the past that I got along with have asked me; "why are you such an a$$hole to everyone?"

The answer is simple, they can't "take" anything from me. I have my wife, my son and the birds (and here for conversation/camaraderie/knowledge). I really don't don't need more than that.

Well, besides a boat, I really miss all my go fast boats :D

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
I grew up with birds and in the topics of central America everyone had birds, i've seen so many of my friends lose birds to Tall drink glasses.I guess i've been lucky and Jake has survived it. I don't let my birds drink from glasses and they don't show any interest. can't tell you how many times after a party i've seen a dead bird in a glass. Please don't let your pet drink from a glass.Didn't mean to steal your thread Rat.I can also say my zon has been the "rock" in my life.She's been though high school , college, 2 wives, 3 kids, several dogs, car wrecks, boat sinkings, hurricanes, fires, you name it, guess I'm just a lucky guy.

OP
WharfRat

WharfRat

Jul 3, 2012
Central Tx
Parrots
Hahn's Macaw-Kalani
I can relate Richard..........you left out being shot at though. :D :eek:

I am not the same person as I was then obviously, I've had some really close calls in life and am fortunate to be alive.

I've had a really bad day today emotionally, ergo the start of the thread, I'm ok as always as I tend to be emotionless on the outside.

Life sucks and then you die

as opposed to:

Tis vastly better to have loved and lost than to have never known love at all.

I lost someone very close to me today and it hurts.

Birdlover11

Aug 23, 2012
Long island
Parrots
Pepsi and sprite, both are American male budgies
A really heart felt and touching story, I really feel for you and what you've gone been. It's kindev like a trap. You see a bird, think " it's really cute ", back then it was just a bird,buy it. After the years go by, isn't just a bird,it's a friend and companion . Afte something terrible happens, you grieve, cry. You want that feeling of security and loyal friendship and get another one. I don't mean it in a bad way, just what I think. I actually like to be in that cycle, without the grieve and terrible part.

Sherry

Sep 26, 2012
Maine
Parrots
African grey
Sun conure
B&G Macaw
It's kind of funny but whenever I'm grieving or sad I would rather be with my animals than with other people. They just know the right thing to do. People tend to try to make you feel better but sometimes you don't need to feel better you just need to deal, does that make sense? I know my animals (some alive most whom have past) have helped me through the toughest times. Your story is very touching and reminded me of my friends and pets whom I had the pleasure of sharing time with.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Scott, I am SO very sorry for the loss of your loved one. :( I know too well how such a loss can trigger many, many emotions.

Hey, go hug Deb...then your son...and then ReaRea!

plax

Banned
Banned
Jun 29, 2012
United States
Parrots
'Jack' (Blue & Gold),
'Maynard' (Military),
'Zaffer' (Hyacinth),
'Salsa' (Green-wing)
Rat: I, too, am so sorry for your loss :(. I still begin tearing up when I think of the sudden passing of Salsa's mom back in May. Sals is kind of a double-edged sword in that respect: he soothes my emotions, yet he reminds me of her all the time :(. Zaf, OTOH, just cuddles and coos :). Unfortunately, I suppose, I can't really disagree with the "Life sucks and then you die" statement :( ...other than to say thankfully all of it doesn't suck!

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
What's the saying. life's a ***** and then you die. I just deal with it, just like you. Hang in there rat , we love ya. What a blessing it is to come home to a good zon. My Jake is the rock in my life.

Last edited:
OP
WharfRat

WharfRat

Jul 3, 2012
Central Tx
Parrots
Hahn's Macaw-Kalani
Well Richard, I can't say the Zon's are a "rock" for me. :rolleyes: But I love them regardless, hopefully one day they'll come around, but they are the "rock" for my wife. :) My ReaRea is my solace now, and Miri is a close second. Lani is included as well.

This week will be very rocky due to other circumstances, I can only pray and hope for the best....

If I seem to drop from existence or disappear, it will hopefully be short lived and I'll be back soon.

ConureCrazy

Jun 13, 2012
Media
California
Parrots
Senegal: Oliver ~~
Yellow-Sided GCC's: Bella and Zora ~~
R.I.P Tweeters the Cockatiel<3
HUGS Wharf!!!!!! [And I'm truly sorry if this is off topic, but just like you, can't seem to call you your actual name] Life can, and will, suck sometimes. :( Hope you feel (emotionally) better, soon.

Most Reactions