My bird got sick while boarding

manu1304

Aug 5, 2015
Hi, I boarded my 2 cockatoos for 3 days at a local bird store. One was sick when I picked them up. The store doesn't require a vet certification that the bird is healthy. Anyway, I have huge vet bills now. What do you think, should the bird store pay my vet bills?

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
My first instinct say that boarding birds in a store that requires no prior health checks is always "at your own risk" unless otherwise stated in the contract.

I might contact a lawyer for further legal advice though, as this is the type of issue (should you pursue it/be legally allowed to pursue it) that will likely be resolved in court. I hope your birds are ok and will fully recover.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Did you have your birds checked before dropped them off at the boarders? If not then i don't think you have much of a case.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
What is the bird sick FROM? It might actually be you who owes the store money if you bright a bird in carrying an illness. I doubt you have a leg to stand on if you can't prove they were healthy, and the stress of boarding can cause or bring out illness.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Also I would say that boarding your bird somewhere that doesn't require a bet check is never wise, and this is exactly why.

jasper19

Supporting Member
Aug 13, 2014
North Dakota, USA
Parrots
Congo African Grey "Angel"

Muloccan Cockatoo "Bahama"
This is a fear of my if i ever have to board my bird.

I ask a lot of questions in my screening to find out what procedures they use to help combat this issue of contamination and spreading illness.

Mattroma

Oct 22, 2013
Ma
Parrots
Quinn- Harlequin
Lemon and Blueberry Budgies
The few times that I've boarded my bird, a prior vet check is required. I was also required to sign a contract releasing them from illness and injury.

Most Reactions