My bird is aging :(

Lydikiti

Apr 16, 2020
Parrots
Click and Qwerty (both cockatiels)
earlier this year i adopted two male cockatiels a one year old, and one roughly around 21 years. I have been noticing some stuff going on with him. I had been trying to teach him how to fly but now any time he does he lands weird and damages his tail HIS TAIL IS RUINED his feathers are completly rough and stringy and he has two broken ones but he doesn't let me touch it to help him fix it as he was never hand raised and has been left in his cage for the past 10 years, and yesterday he started keeping one eye closed when he is resting! he can open it fine he just rests with it shut and there is nothing in it or any leaking happening. do you have any tips to deal with an aging bird? should i still let him out or should i be worried about his tail?

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Aw, well, 21 is old for a cockatiel (36 is the documented record, reportedly)...but they can go to 25 without smashing records. I would think of him as a 95-year-old who is just trying to be have
joy in his life. I am not sure that a super boring and restricted life is worth much, so I would do my best to let him live out his final days/months/years with some joy, but also with precautions. Not sure if that helps...

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
It can take a lot to teach an adult bird to fly. It took me a year with around a ten year old quaker.

But the important thing to remember is they can really hurt themselves. Not just the tail, but internally when they land wrong. Also can break their keel....

So taking them into a bedroom with carpet and trying to let them practice on a soft bed...helps.

But st this age, I do not think I would be trying to teach flight. And for now , keep him quiet and resting with food and water in easy reach. If he has bruises Hopefully he will heal.

Thank you fir taking care of them

Jottlebot

Aug 29, 2012
Shropshire, UK
Parrots
Orange-winged Amazon - RIP Charlie,
Spock - Common Mynah,
McCoy - Alexandrine
It's a lovely problem to have really. I wouldn't be encouraging him to fly, but I'd make sure he still gets oit of his cage and has plenty of things to do, walk and climb onto just outside his cage and lots of interesting things inside his cage too. Physically he might be winding down, but mentally he can still be as active and playful as ever :)

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
As parront of a 36-year-old conure, I really feel your concerns.
My avian vet of many years, and this site, have seen me through many trying times.
I'm so glad you're here, reaching out, listening, and joining all of us in our journeys.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I don’t know how old my first Cockatiel :yellow1:is but he must also be at least 21.

I found him flying around my work local in 2001 or 2002. He could talk and whistle and he must have learned that somewhere.

He is slowing down and it’s noticeable. Mostly when he molts it takes a lot out of him. Takes longer to bounce back. He can fly just fine so I don’t have that problem.

I would also recommend not to fly (or try to).
Some of my younger Tiels can’t fly due to damaged wing feathers. They just have to stay in the cage unless/until the feathers grow in.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
Now y'all got me sentimental!

Here's a poem I wrote for my darling a few years ago. I hope you like it.

Old Bird
Dedicated to the Rickeybird, and to Old Birds everywhere, and to the people who love them.

Old Bird. My bird. My bird, forever.
Time finds such meaning in our time together.

Mi vínculo con la Verdad (My link to the Truth).
And to Nature. And to youth.

And age.
And ages.
We have both had cages...
Of work and wages, loss and rages, dark back stages.
But we've turned the pages.

We've cut through the mystery.
Of life, love and history.
For us, it's just chemistry.

This morning, you greeted the dawn with your usual screams. Animation, jubilation, exultation!
Mid-day, I caught you in an unexpected nap. It's late afternoon now. Need another quick rest, my little rooster?

Someday our play here will draw closed its curtain.
We'll stay together, though. Somehow I'm certain.

That's what Eternity's for!

Old Bird. My Bird. My Bird Forever.

Most Reactions

Latest posts