My bird only want veggies and fruit

sandy101010

Dec 28, 2023
Parrots
Plum headed parakeet.
I have a strange problem, my plum head is refusing to eat its seeds and pellets and will only eat veggies and fruit. I feel as if most people have the opposite problem where they can't seem to get their birds to eat veggies. I was extremely worried because he randomly stopped eating his regular seed mix and his stool was way darker than usual and watery so I took him to the vet. She said that she didn't know what was wrong and put him on 2 types of liquid medication and said to put probiotics in his food. He wouldn't eat his seeds so I made his usual veggie chop to put the probiotics in (I added fruit to try and mask the taste of the probiotics but it's usually just veggies)and he ate the whole thing (about 2-3 tbsp which is quite a lot for his size). Im very relieved that he is still eating but now he completely refuses to eat anything else and Im worried about how long this can last. His veggie chop is quite healthy (broccoli, celery, carrots, blueberries, and apples) and im planning to get a larger variety of vegetables to make it even better but am I wrong in thinking that this isn't sustainable? I havent heard of a bird who solely eats veggies and fruit. He is acting completely normal, very active and flying everywhere, a little grumpy but besides that nothing out of the ordinary. His stool is now 80% water which I was also worried about but now im contributing it to the fact that veggies have a very high water content. Has anyone experienced this?

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Hi and welcome.
Like you said most of us have a hard time getting our birds to eat fruit and vegetables. Yours is opposite and it's wet stools indicate a problem in my opinion. Maybe someone here has had the same issue

Vampiric_Conure

May 16, 2022
Media
Albums
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Parrots
Charlie (M) - 23 yrs - Peach Front Conure
Redshift (M)-22yrs - normal Cockatiel
Moon (M) - 2 ys - wf pied cockatiel
Chara (F)- 1 yr - wf pied cockatiel
More than likely his watery stool is from the higher water content of his veggie diet, but if you're worried, you can always take him to the vet again.

Most Reactions

Latest posts