my Blue Front died

Iannis

Dec 29, 2010
Hello

I am from Greece, where things are medieval concerning tropical animals etc...

we had a blue front amazon parrot, her name was Bubu. About 3 weeks ago she started having a strange saliva-like thing which got us concerned. We called the guy where we bought her from, and he told us that this is normal and it has to do with reproduction.

In this time she was not eating as she did before. Then, after a week or so she started vomiting big portions of blood. We hardly found and called one doctor who is in Athens (About 400km distance from here) who advised some medicines. It helped to stop blood but she was still vomiting and refused to eat. If we gave her baby-creme or mashed fruits from the blender with a syringe (as the doctor said) then she would vomit it out.

Yesterday we decided to get her to Athens because she was really weak. She was breathing really hard and About half way there, she gasped as if she had no air then died. It was very sad because she was member of the family, and it will be really hard to get over it

The only thing in our mind now is what happened to her.

I know now it has ended now but an answer would possibly give us closure.

That was Bubu

tumblr_le5dsmwDtE1qcz3aro1_500.jpg

Von1983

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
Media
I am so sorry to hear of your loss :(

You are in the right place here with people who understand your pain.

It would be very difficult to hazard a guess as to why Bubu passed away. The only way to know for sure would be to ask an avian vet to perform a birdy post mortem.

There are too many possibilities to mention and I am no expert. I have read a lot about metal poisoning which can cause saliva, blood, vomiting and if not caught early, death. But then, I am sure there are a lot of other things with similar symptoms.....

Maybe another more experienced member can help.

Again, you have my upmost sympathies. :(

greycloud

Mar 21, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Parrots
Sammy-Umbrella Too-rescued,
Dexter-CAG-rehomed handicapped,
Sterling-CAG-rehomed retired breeder.
Sunshine-12 yo CAG-adopted
I am terribly sorry for your loss. Bubu was very beautiful. It is so very difficult to lose a member of your family. The symptoms you describe could be many things. The only way to find out would have been a necropsy.
Fly free sweet Bubu, fly free.

izmail1215

Sep 12, 2010
Media
Houston
Parrots
Yellow Naped Amazon-Sam
So sorry for your loss. I know how it feels I have lost 2 myself. you hae no reason to blame your self you did everything you can. hope things work out for you.

nofearengineer

Sep 8, 2010
Parrots
Gandalf - CAG (1997-2010) R.I.P. my baby boy.
Bitty - CAG (2 yrs old? and working on spoiling her rotten)
I am sorry to hear about poor Babu. She was very beautiful.

She will live forever in your heart and memories. Please remember she was with the people she loved when she passed, the only way to go.

You have my sympathy.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Sorry for your terrible loss Bubu sure was a beautiful bird...
You will always have wonderful memories to cherish for ever
Take care

Ratzy

Apr 7, 2010
Media
Hamilton, Victoria, Australia
Parrots
See siggie :)
I'm sorry to hear of your loss. I'm sure that the guy who told you it was 'normal' is going to die a very horrible and painful death.
Maybe there was a crop problem with organ problems?
RIP Babu :(

OP
I

Iannis

Dec 29, 2010
Thank you all for your support... my parents are still devastated because she lived with them, so you can imagine... I am very sorry they don't speak english and they cannot enter themselves the forum to get some closure, and support.

As for the necropsy... the idea crossed my mind but my mother was very emotionally attached with Bubu and she didn't want something like this.

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
I'm so sorry for your loss! You did the very best you could for Bubu. I wish I had some insight for you as to what happened, but unfortunately, I don't.

cariad

Dec 31, 2010
Media
warwickshire/worcestershire
Parrots
Jasper cockatiel
Louie blue fronted amazon
Poppy quaker , and hp and bertie budgies
so sorry for your loss i have a blue fronted amazon who has worked his way into my heart pets are so precious im new to amazons so can offer no explanation of why she died

Most Reactions