My Boy is Home!

OutlawedSpirit

Apr 12, 2016
Northern Illinois, USA
Parrots
Bo - DYH ~ Gus - CAG ~ Twitch - Linnie ~ Apple - Pineapple GCC ~ Goliath - Quaker ~ Squish - Peach face Lovebird
So since moving into my mother - in - law's house due to some financial difficulties at the beginning of August, my boys Willie and Tiki have been staying with a friend of mine. With the boys in a very large double stacker and the other birds to consider as well, we just didn't have the space to accommodate everyone. It was definitely not ideal, but it saved me from not having to permanently rehome the boys. (I did rehome Chicken, but that is for another post and there was more involved in that then just our financial situation.)

It seems that we will be staying with the in- law's quite a bit longer than anticipated, so we rearranged things and my mother- in - law was even willing to get rid of her couch in the sitting room to make extra room so I could at least bring Willie home. We are choosing to leave Tiki, our almost 30 year old male eclectus, where he is for now because we all feel that with him being completely blind, that where we are at now is too noisy and chaotic for him and will cause too much stress that he doesn't need and can be avoided. He has settled in pretty well with my friend an d she is okay with him staying there as long as necessary. In the end, when we get back on our feet, we will decide whether he has settled in so much there he's better off staying with her permanently or coming back home with us. I do not want to lose Tiki by any means, but I also want to put his needs and comfort first. I know it isn't fair to let him get settled in with her for so look he thinks it's his permanent home then tear him away again. But we will all sit and talk when that time comes and decide what we think is best for him.

There is something amazing that has come from her having my boys, however. Willie is a blue front that never made any noise really, barely ate, and was severely depressed after losing the only home he had for his first 20 years when his first mom became to ill to care for him anymore. The friend that took them also has a blue front, and an absolutely stunning one too I will say. Apparently he taught Willie how to be an Amazon.

Now that he is back home, Willie is chattering and screeching (while somewhat annoying I am enjoying it much more than the depressed silence he presented us with before.) I did go to get him out today while he was chattering to something outside the window and he nailed me pretty good. I guess I really have to keep inn mind that he is an Amazon and is prone to Amazon overload. Something he never even came close to before, since it would have meant he needed to get excited about something. I will take every bite and bruise since it means that he finally remembers he is an Amazon and remembers what that means. All it took was to give him an Amazon buddy to give him back his thirst for life. That makes everything else we're going through that led up to him being taken in by my friend for a few months worth it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Thanks for the update!

Happy that things have at least bottomed-out and every step forward is toward a better day!

So, your Amazon has found his intern Amazon! Neat!

Best Wishes, Good Friend! We are all thinking of you.

Last edited:

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Holy Crap!! REHOME Tiki AND Chicken!!!???? :eek::02:
Man...does my heart hurt for you right now!! sighhhh...:eek:

Jim

OP
OutlawedSpirit

OutlawedSpirit

Apr 12, 2016
Northern Illinois, USA
Parrots
Bo - DYH ~ Gus - CAG ~ Twitch - Linnie ~ Apple - Pineapple GCC ~ Goliath - Quaker ~ Squish - Peach face Lovebird

Jim
Well Jim, I don't know that Tiki will necessarily be rehomed yet. As of right now he is basically being fostered long term by a friend of mine while we are staying with my in - law's. I think it's too chaotic of a household for him and it would stress him out too much being here. He doesn't handle a lot of noise and activity well due to his blindness. We are just going to see how things are when we are back on our feet and in our own place again. If he has settled in there to the point where it seems like he has accepted her house as his new home, then she may keep him permanently just to avoid uprooting him again. I don't want that to happen, I want my boy to come back home. However, I am putting his best interests ahead of my own desires. If we all think he's going to be better off staying there, then that's what will happen. He didn't ask for any of this, and I'm cautious of stressing him too much because he's almost 30 years old and a recovered plucker that used to just scream constantly because he wasn't happy. He's come so far and I don't want to set him back by bouncing him around every time he gets settled. Trust me, it breaks my heart to even consider telling her to keep him, but in the end I just want what's best for him even if it's not with me.

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
My heart goes out to you, the changes you have had to make and bless your Mom in Law offering to get rid of her couch. Hoping life sends you something truly wonderful soon, you deserve it!

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.

Jim
Well Jim, I don't know that Tiki will necessarily be rehomed yet. As of right now he is basically being fostered long term by a friend of mine while we are staying with my in - law's. I think it's too chaotic of a household for him and it would stress him out too much being here. He doesn't handle a lot of noise and activity well due to his blindness. We are just going to see how things are when we are back on our feet and in our own place again. If he has settled in there to the point where it seems like he has accepted her house as his new home, then she may keep him permanently just to avoid uprooting him again. I don't want that to happen, I want my boy to come back home. However, I am putting his best interests ahead of my own desires. If we all think he's going to be better off staying there, then that's what will happen. He didn't ask for any of this, and I'm cautious of stressing him too much because he's almost 30 years old and a recovered plucker that used to just scream constantly because he wasn't happy. He's come so far and I don't want to set him back by bouncing him around every time he gets settled. Trust me, it breaks my heart to even consider telling her to keep him, but in the end I just want what's best for him even if it's not with me.

Gosh...you're home has been blessed with so many loving fid's,when you do get back on your feet..it'll be so empty :15:
Even though you folks have been putting up with my frustration over Amy, I don't know what i'd do without her.

My home is being forclosed on..because of the economy and what I was doing as far as employment,living alone here I just can not afford it any longer. I grew up in this house,lived here most of my life ( except for the years I was married).
However,it is a SAD home...my Dad passed away here when I was 12,and my oldest brother Tommy fifteen years ago.
Even when I bought this place back from the bank ( Mom did a reverse mortgage when she retired and we were all married at the time) this place never seemed to be mine. I expect to walk in the door and find Mom on her recliner,with Smokey on her hand helping herself to Mom's lunch :rolleyes:

So I'm going to stay here as long as possible. I am lucky to the point where my other brother David,has room for me and the kids. Amy has lived here all her life..whats a new place going to do to her? Luckily,with all the socialization she has gotten from a very early age,she does very well with different situations,and as for Beebs..well he is a carefree spirit :)

I feel for you,honestly,and pray things work out all around!

Jim

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
[/QUOTE]Gosh...you're home has been blessed with so many loving fid's,when you do get back on your feet..it'll be so empty :15:
Even though you folks have been putting up with my frustration over Amy, I don't know what i'd do without her.

My home is being forclosed on..because of the economy and what I was doing as far as employment,living alone here I just can not afford it any longer. I grew up in this house,lived here most of my life ( except for the years I was married).
However,it is a SAD home...my Dad passed away here when I was 12,and my oldest brother Tommy fifteen years ago.
Even when I bought this place back from the bank ( Mom did a reverse mortgage when she retired and we were all married at the time) this place never seemed to be mine. I expect to walk in the door and find Mom on her recliner,with Smokey on her hand helping herself to Mom's lunch :rolleyes:

So I'm going to stay here as long as possible. I am lucky to the point where my other brother David,has room for me and the kids. Amy has lived here all her life..whats a new place going to do to her? Luckily,with all the socialization she has gotten from a very early age,she does very well with different situations,and as for Beebs..well he is a carefree spirit :)

I feel for you,honestly,and pray things work out all around!

Jim[/QUOTE]

Jim very sorry :( to be reading this, not all change is bad, another chapter in your book of life so to speak. Keep your options open in case what you think will happen doesn't as that has a habit of putting you in sh$t street. Your fids will be fine I feel, you have done marvellously well with both of them and will accept change with you. Sending you my best Jim. :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts