My cockatiels refuse to eat non-seed food??

CYNToronto

Banned
Banned
Dec 25, 2014
I've served up nothing but cooked rice, chicken, and eggs, and freshly cut watermelon, apples, tomatoes, bananas and cucumbers for TWO DAYS, and they've opted for starvation.

Of course, once I've placed the seeds back, they went crazy over it. But after tapping the food I've laid out for them, they just lose interest, and scream all day complaining about hunger.

Is there ANY way these idiots will start eating healthy??

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
Zilla 29 Y.O. Orange Wing Amazon
It's all about patients and trial and error (and lots of wasted food)

Try different ways of serving the veggies, chops, mashes, cooked, frozen, warm, cold, in birdie breads, there are lots of great recipes in the diet and nutrition section of the forum. Plates, bowls, skewers...

I use a combination of chops with pasta, beans, rice and veggies grated and cooked in, some veggies chopped, etc... Also you can add seed to some mashes and when they eat the seed they get some of the veggie mash.

EAI

Jul 25, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Parrots
Budgerigar: Arrow, Esther, Kratos, Cora, Ducky.

Lovebird: Izzy, Gizmo.
Transition is the key. You can't really "force" new things onto them, birds are a creature of habit and will retain to their usual routine. Try leave their seeds in and add hanging fruits and veggies above. As they begin to have more interest in the new food, reduce the amount of seeds.
This is easier said than done, and so it might take a bit more time than you expect.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Parrots are not idiots, but they are programmed to be suspicious of any and all new foods being introduced for the first time. In the wild, it's a survival skill.

Nothing wrong with your menu except, "TWO DAYS". Be patient, two days is nothing on a parrot's calendar. Birds that have only eaten seed are usually not willing to give up the familiar in exchange for items they don't recognize as food. Sometimes it takes weeks or months. The good news is, if you keep trying different ways of preparing the food, eventually they will start liking it.

EdwardH

Dec 23, 2012
Sydney
Parrots
Eclectus
cockatiel
red rump
Plenty of good advice has already been given so the only thing that I would add is try making them little rissoles using veggie mash with seed in it. The birds will pick out the seeds and in the process they will inadvertently eat some of the veggie rissole. Over time (days, weeks or even a month or three) they will recognise the veggie as food and start to eat it. When this happens then reduce the amount of seed whilst increasing the amount of veggies. Try corn, peas, snow peas, broccoli, pumpkin etc.

mh434

Oct 28, 2014
BC, Canada
Parrots
Yellow-naped Amazon "Sammy"
Love birds (4)
Green-cheeked Conure "Skittles" - now, sadly gone from my life
Blue-Crowned Conure "Tequila"
African Grey "Reno" - sadly, now gone from my life
If it helps, even our pickiest birds went nuts for cooked Quinoa the very first time they encountered it. We now use it as a special treat, with calcium, vitamins, veggies, etc. added to it. They all gobble it up on sight, like it's the first meal they've had in months.

It certainly breaks the seed-only cycle!

Most Reactions