My conure died this morning

planetlover89

Jun 13, 2013
Hi everyone I'm Nicole I'm new to this site I'm trying to figure out what is going on with my birds I have had 2 die in the past week. We got them from a breeder that we have known for a long time and his birds have always been healthy. We got just a standard green cheek first he was so loving he loved to cuddle and play then one morning we woke up to hand feed him and he was just laying at the bottom of his cage so we called the breeder he said sometimes that happens he might have had a respiratory infection. He said it would be fine for us to get another bird we did clean the cage and perches. anyways we went and picked up our half moon Monday and he was amazing to he was a little firecracker last night he had some veggies played with my kids gave everyone a kiss goodnight he acted completely normal. Again this morning we woke up to say good morning and he was laying at the bottom of the cage. idk whats happening we had sun conures before and they were fine. Should I take him to the vet to see what happened does anyone have any ideas as to what could be going on. We really love birds and want one in our home but I'm not going to get another bird until I know whats going on and how to fix it. I feel terrible please if anyone has any ideas that would be great.

MissyMe83

Nov 29, 2011
Indiana
Parrots
Tate ~~
White Capped Pionus -
Violet ~~ Yellow Naped Amazon - Jupiter ~~ Baby B&G Macaw (coming soon)
I assume that the bird was not yet weaned? Sounds like the first one may not have been as you said you woke up to hand feed. How many feedings were you giving and how often? Could be so many things....

forbey

Apr 26, 2013
Media
That is terrible! I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. Just as ou had before, clean (and sanitize) the cage and accessories. Consider pitching all of your food supply. Are there any changes in cooking utensils. Air quality can sometimes change overnight in a house (radon, CO2, etc.) If you are considering calling the vet to do an autopsy, ask them if there is anything you need to do to the bird(s) to preserve them (zip lock bags, refrigerate or freeze, etc.)

To have two pass so quickly and in the same manner, to me, seems like too much of a coincidence, It may be something you might have never looked to check.

I hope you discover what happened.

Forbey

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I am so terribly sorry for your loss and heartbreak over losing 2 precious babies. :(

PLEASE take your baby to an avian vet and have him/her perform a necropsy, so that hopefully you'll get answers as to what happened.

OP
P

planetlover89

Jun 13, 2013
he was hand fed 3 times a day he was learning to crack seed. I will call my vet as soon as they open in 10 minutes to see when I can get him in there thanks for all the help as soon as I find out what happened I will let you know thanks again it really means a lot!

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
So sorry for losing your two little ones. Let us know what you find out. Hopefully you can get a clear answer from the vet.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
If you hand feeding improperly you can kill them easily!

Abigal7

Jun 17, 2012
United States of America/ Kansas
Parrots
Captain Jack (Hahn's macaw)

Clover (green cheek conure)
I would call a avian vet and have a necropsy done. I am not an big expert but I will tell you from my research it is advised not to wean a baby bird since a mistake can kill the bird. It is advised to have someone experience to wean the bird.

MissTaz

May 11, 2013
Utah
Parrots
Rory ~ A male turquoise green cheek conure ~ Hatched 02-12-2013
I'm so sorry for your loss! God Bless you!

mimi88

Feb 23, 2013
Australia
Parrots
Margarita (Scaly Lorikeet) Boo (Musk Lorikeet) ChiChi & KoKo (GCC) Sooky & GiGi (Fischer Lovebirds)
If they are or were (by the breeder or you) fed at the wrong temperature, that can cause bacterial infections in their bodies. A good rule of thumb is to take unweaned birds (not that I recommend purchasing them) to an experienced avian vet and request tests for any bad bacteria. It usually builds up in the crop and continues on from there. I'm very sorry for your loss. The avian vet should also test the birds feces.

forbey

Apr 26, 2013
Media
I'm not a Vet.

I just ran across this article on Polyoma. The description indicates this is most common in baby birds and should be checked whenever young birds die with no apparent cause.

When you talk to your Avian Vet about these two birds, include questions about Polyoma Disease.

Forbey

Polyoma - Bird and Parrot Diseases

Most Reactions