My Conure Pulled One Over On Me

jamerson0199

Mar 7, 2013
Johnson City, TN
Parrots
Sun Conure
I noticed that my Sun Conure would knock pellets out of its bowl so that it would fall into the bottom of the cage. I have had it for two weeks and I have been trying to get it to eat fruits and vegetables but so far it will inspect it and take a nibble but not really eat. It would rather wait until I put the pellets back in to eat. So now I noticed that while the fruits and vegetables are in the bowl, it will go to the bottom of its cage and fish out the pellets and eat them. Smart bird! Now I will have to do him one better and make sure I clean the pellets out of the bottom of the cage every day.

Customcasket

Aug 24, 2011
Media
New Jersey
Parrots
Female Dusky Conure (Kayak) Female Sun Conure (Carlisle) Female Budgie (Meister) Male Budgie (Spooky Burd)
I noticed that my Sun Conure would knock pellets out of its bowl so that it would fall into the bottom of the cage. I have had it for two weeks and I have been trying to get it to eat fruits and vegetables but so far it will inspect it and take a nibble but not really eat. It would rather wait until I put the pellets back in to eat. So now I noticed that while the fruits and vegetables are in the bowl, it will go to the bottom of its cage and fish out the pellets and eat them. Smart bird! Now I will have to do him one better and make sure I clean the pellets out of the bottom of the cage every day.

Too smart for their own good! I always try to explain this kind of stuff to non-bird people and they just do not understand how a bird can be so smart.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Sounds like you would benefit from having a bowl with an "inverted lip" so it would be harder to throw pellets around, and being more creative in providing fresh foods! LOL

Sneaky guy!

thermodynamic

Apr 13, 2012
Stillwater, MN
Parrots
Rosie = Rescued Pineapple GCC,
Rusty = bought Cinnamon GCC,
Scooter = bought Normal GCC,
Tybbi MacGuyver = Rescued Blue Crown Conure
You're lucky.

My Rosie, for every time I replenish the water in the bowl and return it, will peer over and look within the bowl. If the bowl contains water beyond a certain level, she will tip up the bowl and pour out the excess level of water. Then she'll drink from the bowl. I have no concrete explanation as to why...

Perhaps it is because Scooter, upon seeing the bowl, wants to dive right in and - amongst other things - bathe in it. Now that's reasoning, if that's why Rosie is dumping out excessive water... but she's bathed in there as well (just never as frequently and I only saw her hop in twice...)

Bandit

Mar 9, 2013
Bathurst, Australia
Parrots
1 normal grey cockatiel, 1 green cheek conure
That is amazing, haha, what a smartie pants! I tried to explain to DH just how smart they can be and he just doesn't seem to get it.

Most Reactions

Latest posts