My crazy pet house and a Conure

Sabbath

Apr 26, 2011
Media
Well as most of you know, I'm getting a baby conure soon. Now I will most defiantly not let any of my pets near the baby for a longtime but I plan to have this bird for a long term and these pets will be with me till I choose to move out.

I have 1 Cat(rougly a year old, still hyper)
2 dogs(8 year old, basid/beagle mix and a malamut husky)
2 ferrets

that pretty much it, the ferret I won't let around the bird anytime as they are always playing rough, the 2 dogs are calm all the time unless*especially for the basid/beagle* food is involved and the cat just likes to play.

Now any advice on keeping my bird safe but at the same time not sucluding him from the rest of the family?

Forgot to add! What do you feed your conure normally?

Last edited:

Parrot Parent

Feb 22, 2011
My house
Parrots
R.I.P. Linius, my Sun conure
Tapa and Tio, Parakeets, Xander 3 month old sun conure
My dogs are scared of my birds. My cat hears flapping and runs in the other direction. With the dogs we started off letting them be around the cage, they can sniff it bt if they touched it we made them go away with a strict "No!" . Teaching them touching the cage early on will prevent them from touching it when your not home. Them we let my dogs meet the bird. They could smell but if they got too close my conure would nip their noses, they quickly lost interest in the birds lol. :)

The cat can be tricky, but we have one thats less than a year herself. She is never allowed in the room with the birds by herself, end of story. The parakeet arent allowed out of the cage when she is roaming the house because they take flight at the most random moments lol. She is not allowed to touch the cage and has to stay away from Xander when he is out. We mostly just keep her occupied somewhere else.

And with ferrets, I dont have any, but I would never trust them with birds. I've heard before that they like to eat birds and rats. So that would just be a flat out bad idea I think. Hope this helps~

OP
Sabbath

Sabbath

Apr 26, 2011
Media
My dogs are scared of my birds. My cat hears flapping and runs in the other direction. With the dogs we started off letting them be around the cage, they can sniff it bt if they touched it we made them go away with a strict "No!" . Teaching them touching the cage early on will prevent them from touching it when your not home. Them we let my dogs meet the bird. They could smell but if they got too close my conure would nip their noses, they quickly lost interest in the birds lol. :)

The cat can be tricky, but we have one thats less than a year herself. She is never allowed in the room with the birds by herself, end of story. The parakeet arent allowed out of the cage when she is roaming the house because they take flight at the most random moments lol. She is not allowed to touch the cage and has to stay away from Xander when he is out. We mostly just keep her occupied somewhere else.

And with ferrets, I dont have any, but I would never trust them with birds. I've heard before that they like to eat birds and rats. So that would just be a flat out bad idea I think. Hope this helps~
It does :) I'd never let the ferret near the bird as they pretty much "attack" anything they can. I'll have to see what I can do with the cat. I'm not really worried about the dog to much besides sniffing at most but it mostly the cat that worries me as he can be hyper at one point, then mellow at another.

I think I might try your method of introducing them to the cage then when they get to close to tell them no.

Parrot Parent

Feb 22, 2011
My house
Parrots
R.I.P. Linius, my Sun conure
Tapa and Tio, Parakeets, Xander 3 month old sun conure
Also loud clapping helps that no with the cats. Mine can look but if she gets into a pouncing stance its usually a clap and a loud no! :)

Most Reactions