My electus has been sick for 3 months and vet cannot determine the problem

Donovanwyld@

Jan 3, 2024
Parrots
EkkieX1
CAGX2
Hi All.

I have a Solomon electus (male) we unsure of he's age,we baught him two years ago,3 months ago he got sick early hours of the morning,we rushed him to a emergency vet,wasn't a avian vet,as our avian vet was closed,they kept him the night on oxygen,we went to collect him the next morning and took him to our avian vet,which kept him in for the weekend to monitor him and supply him with all medication required,Monday came we went to fetch him,x-rays were done,he had a respiratory infection,weeks went by,no recovery,we took him back,they gave us new medication and tested for beak and further,he seemed to be getting better,until a few weeks passed,medication ended,back were we started,loud breathing,congested badly,we toke him back,they told us to buy a nebulizer and gave us saline solution and a antibiotic for the nebulizer,no change,23rd of December,he started becoming weak and he's feet swelled up,they advised the infection has spread to he's feet and has a nasal infection,new medication,no change,almost 15k later our baby is no better than when we first took him in,maybe use could offer some advice which my avian vet couldn't advise?

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
I’m very sorry to hear about your Ekkie. My heart breaks for you as I had something very similar happen when I adopted my Ekkie. Luckily with diet changes, medication, and rest his situation really changed for the better.

The things I did to help my Ekkie were diet changes (Ekkies are well known to have sensitivity when it comes to diet). If I were to feed Nico only seeds, and nuts for a week or so he’s going to start to show neurological symptoms. Falling off his perch, toe tapping, wing flipping, and shaking. I have a night time room for Nico. I make sure to cover him every single night. He gets 12 hours of uninterrupted sleep. Rather he sleeps that entire time is another story. I hear him get up at the crack of dawn, and eating his pellets. I do spray baths with him about every other day. I put a sound therapy machine in his night time room. It lights up, and has a bunch of different nature sounds. I take him out, and give him a ton of attention. I also very thoroughly clean his cage. I use hydrogen peroxide, and I use a pressure washer afterwards to clean his cage. I purchased him a stainless steel cage as well. They are much easier to keep clean. Nico had a bunch of bacterial infections when I first got him. When he is sick I check on him but I just open his cage door, and generally he’ll just perch, and not come out. He has a heated perch I use in winter. I just do my best to provide a good environment for Nico. It’s all I can do, or change.

Nico also goes to the vet. Vets should be involved with parrots that are ill. Avian vets aren’t cheap. They are also very hard to come by.

I hope your Ekkie gets better, and that the source of the problem is found.

OP
D

Donovanwyld@

Jan 3, 2024
Parrots
EkkieX1
CAGX2
Hey,thanks for your response 🙂any advice is good advice right now,we have 3 parrots,2 African Grey's and 1 ekkie,for years there diet consists of pellets,fresh fruit for breakfast (between 5-7 fruits every morning) supper is fresh vegetables. No one smokes in the house,no non stick equipment used in the kitchen,they all go for regularly checkups,just this one condition that flared up 3 months ago that we cannot seem to get through. But we will continue to do what we can,the vet advised us we might need to come every week so he can get a additional injection,hoping and praying something works as we won't ever be ready to say goodbye to him. He's part of the family,a big baby forever. 😄

Most Reactions

Latest posts