My fid jealous of my kid??

Arlospet

May 2, 2016
Australia
Parrots
Arlo, Jenday Conure, Master of the house, dog terroriser.
Hi all, new to the forum & looking for some insight, everytime I am feeding my 11wo human baby my 5 month old Jenday conure baby attempts to bite her! He will attempt to stealth mode down to where he can reach her ears, nose, fingers or he toes. Its at the point where I cant feed her with him on my shoulder & he screams the whole time she's feeding from his cage until I put her down. Does this sound like he's jealous to you? He doesn't carry on that way if my 2yo is sitting with me, just her.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Oh yeah. Major jealousness. Not safe jealous. Can you feed you baby in another room? Cage the bird while doing it too. Eventually try to socialize your fid with your kid!

OP
A

Arlospet

May 2, 2016
Australia
Parrots
Thank you for your reply, he lives in the lounge where I spend most of my time because it has a big bay window I can watch my toddler play outside while I feed his sister. I could move his cage into another room I'm just worried taking him out of his usual spot will upset him more. Do you have any suggestions on why he's like that with the baby but not the toddler? I've been caging him to feed her now but he just screams & bangs against the door the whole time. I got him when she was 2 weeks old so it's not like I've just introduced him to her. They've lived together for 9 weeks. This behaviour has been going on for the last 5 days.

Last edited:

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
Hate to say it but it's most likely going to be a problem.I'm sure the birds not going to be quiet when you need it.I wouldn't trust it around the baby.Most birds "bond " with one person.Then can maybe learn to like the rest of the family. What you can do? Make it work :) Learn what tricks will work .You are your birds whole world :)

OP
A

Arlospet

May 2, 2016
Australia
Parrots
Lol I will not be nursing Arlo anytime now or in the future but thanks for the laugh! He's happy if she's on the ground, he'll nick off with her dummy or try to steal the buttons off her suits its just the minute I pick her up he's a little hell bird. I'm his people, my toddler only associates with him when he's training (offers him treats etc) & my other half isnt a bird person so at most lets him out of his cage. You're right I'm his whole world. I'll keep working on caging him when she's feeding. Could I maybe divide his meals up & give him portions when she's being fed to keep him occupied?

Most Reactions

Latest posts