My first Cockatoo! Questions/Comments/Thoughts

ClaireBearx3

Feb 20, 2012
San Diego, California
Parrots
Congo African Grey, Dexter (RIP); Breeding pair of Green Cheek Conures, Bonnie & Clyde; Three Budgerigars, Joe Jonas, Taylor Swift, and Bruce Willis
Sorry about the long post!

Okay so a little background info: My African Grey, Dexter, passed away in March. It has been extremely difficult, especially since I'm home most of the time (I model part-time but I'm usually only gone for maybe 1 full day a week, or possibly one full weekend out of the month, so I'm pretty much a house-wife I guess) and everything brought back memories of him. My hubby and I finally got to a point where we wanted to try to get another larger bird again, we've had smaller birds (Parakeets and Green Cheek Conures) for a very long time.

Anyways, we researched several different species of birds, we tried looking at Greys again but it was really upsetting for both of us, I don't know if either one of us will ever be able to have another. We really liked Amazons and Cockatoos so we started looking at both at our local bird shops. One had a Bare Eyed I was in love with but my husband wasn't a fan. Since Dexter was mostly "my bird" we really wanted something to be more of "our bird" and not so one sided. At the other shop they had an older Blue Fronted Amazon that we fell in love with so we decided to put down a deposit and visit with him for a few days to make sure he was the perfect fit for us.

In the store? he was a little angel. So we ended up paying him off and taking him home... well once we got him home his whole demeanor changed. He was literally a different bird. He LOVED my husband, which is strange because he's not as much of a bird-person as I am, and couldn't stand me. In the hour we had him home he attacked my hand pretty badly and tried to lunge at my face... clearly this wasn't going to work out.

So we sadly took him back to the shop where they said they would let us get 100% of our money back since it was the same day as long as we put the money towards another bird, otherwise we'd only get a percentage back as store credit. We looked through their bird room again but honestly we were both scared of bringing an older bird home again. I feel like I'm very experienced with smaller birds, I got my first pair of budgies when I was 7 years old and I still have the first baby from their first clutch! (He's almost 13 now!) But I really don't feel comfortable trying to work with an older bird with bad habits I guess you could say. We decided to look at their nursery and fell in LOVE with a baby Umbrella Cockatoo they have there. We decided to use our credit as a deposit towards him.

I know it sounds rushed but we have researched Umbrella Cockatoos (along with Bare Eyeds, Galahs, Goffins, and even Moluccans!) beforehand so we aren't going into this totally blind. I just feel like maybe we rushed into it a little bit TOO quickly, and some of the research I've been doing lately and some of the comments I've seen from U2 owners have been anywhere from "they're amazing" to "they're psycho crazy things", so I guess I'm just a little nervous now. I visit with him (Zeus!) daily and every time I see him I get super excited and I already love him to death, but I can't shake the nervousness! We won't be able to bring him home for another 4-8 weeks depending on when he's fully weaned so I have plenty of time to prepare thankfully!

When looking for a bird we were looking for something that won't necessarily be a one-person bird like Dexter was, one that would be my companion when I'm home alone or even one I could take with me while running errands, something that won't be loud ALL the time but we're okay with some outbursts (when Dexter and the 6 GCCs + the 3 Parakeets were going at it it would be a MAD house in here so we're alright with daytime noise), obviously something friendly, doesn't necessarily have to talk but definitely a bird that likes attention... cause let's face it, I'm going to want to show my bird affection all the time haha!

I was nervous like this about getting my Grey as well, but I didn't even think to talk to any other owners I just went for it and everything worked out lol! I'm probably just being paranoid, but I'd just like to know what yours are like? I've heard you have to train them a little differently from other parents from the beginning, and I've heard about a million different answers where food is concerned. So I'm just wondering what is daily life like for you and your Too's? What kind of quirky body-language should I look out for? Any tips on limiting the loud screams/calls? Anything else I might want to know?

Thanks for your input!

Our baby Zeus!

295271_2969591404354_117861587_n.jpg

triordan

Sep 1, 2010
Maryland
Parrots
Remington~ GW Macaw
Ollie/Olivia~ CAG
your baby Zeus is adorable! I'm sorry I don't have any experience with cockatoos, but plenty of people here do~ Good luck!

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
Sully-2 year old cinnamon and Bella-3 year old normal
breeding pair of gcc, Scooter & BeeBee-Sully and Bella's normal son's, Rosey- Bella and Sully's cinnamon daughter, Ella & Sunny-American budgies
I can't help you but he is so cute!
I am also in so cal and I breed green cheeks too!

greycloud

Mar 21, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Parrots
Sammy-Umbrella Too-rescued,
Dexter-CAG-rehomed handicapped,
Sterling-CAG-rehomed retired breeder.
Sunshine-12 yo CAG-adopted
He is adorable! U2s are not for everyone. Owning one is very different then other parrots. It is important to remember that these babies are such cuddle bugs and very easy to fall in love with. Teaching your baby to learn to play on its' own, spend time in and out of its' cage on its own with out having to constantly snuggle is very important. As he matures he will learn that it is OK to not be on his humans all the time . If their needs and desires are not met they resort to screaming and biting out of frustration. So setting up a snuggle schedule is good.
My U2 is in his 30s. He has gone through changes all of his life. Some easy to get through others a real pain. Screaming is one reason most U2s end up in rescues. Males also tend to be a bit more aggressive and hormonal then females.
Sammy is a dear heart though. He only lets me hold him. Others can pet him through the bars but I do not allow others to hold him as he becomes very excited. These are birds that can do lots of damage in the blink of an eye. So always be aware of his body language. For now, as a baby he should be a sweet little cotton ball to love on, but as he matures be aware of body signs that he is on alert.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Where do I begin with a U2....lol.....mine gets hormonal and frustrated, then he bites hard! Draw blood 100% of the time if he bites. Other times he can be a angel. I don't think he was brought up properly and he was allowed to do as he pleases in his previous home. So I have more issues in training him....

OP
ClaireBearx3

ClaireBearx3

Feb 20, 2012
San Diego, California
Parrots
Congo African Grey, Dexter (RIP); Breeding pair of Green Cheek Conures, Bonnie & Clyde; Three Budgerigars, Joe Jonas, Taylor Swift, and Bruce Willis
Yeah that's why we decided against going with an older bird... at least with a baby it'll be kind of like our "clean slate" so to speak. Our breeding pair of GCCs are rescues and whoever had them before us must have REALLY abused them cause they can be borderline evil little devils! It's bad enough when they bite off little chunks of flesh from our fingers (then they laugh about it!!) so I couldn't imagine the damage a U2 could do, nor would I want to find out!

RescueMe

Mar 28, 2012
King George, VA
Parrots
"Sparky" the Blue and gold macaw, "Jax" Red fronted macaw, and "Little Bird" peach faced lovebird
U2s are capable of being a great companion, however, a parront has to be the best parront 100% of the time. Some toos are relatively quiet, while others are nonstop earsplitting screamers. Check out All About Cockatoos - MyToos.com they have a lot of great info and warnings for these guys. Start early on with not encouraging hormonal behavior as this will undoubtedly lead to trouble. Good luck with your new bird.

PortaPerch

Apr 28, 2012
SurfCity, SoCalif
Parrots
Chewbaca, F. Galah, h10/10;
Greybeard, M. Congo AG h03/09
Have you ever thought what a large too could do to your face? Almost the first time J-bird the 19yo U2 saw me, she jumped from the ground onto my shoulder and nearly bit my ear off. It bled, and was sore for three weeks. She bonded immediately with my wife, and would not let me near the bed when wifey was in it.

portaperch-albums-perch-picture4350-coffeeholic.jpg

A Galah or Goffin will give you a better home life.

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
Sully-2 year old cinnamon and Bella-3 year old normal
breeding pair of gcc, Scooter & BeeBee-Sully and Bella's normal son's, Rosey- Bella and Sully's cinnamon daughter, Ella & Sunny-American budgies
Yes if your too bonds to someone else he will not like you because he will try to protect his "mate" which can lead to vicious attacks and you may never be able to handle him without something getting bit off.
Just something to think about.

Mare Miller

Banned
Banned
May 14, 2011
Media
sierra foothills of central California
Parrots
13yr. old male umbrella cockatoo,
we call him Amigo!

7yr. old Goffin cockatoo, she IS Sassy!!
Eeeks! I'm warning you right now girl, only from experience, a male umbrella cockatoo should not be your "first", cockatoo.

This happened to me, just by happenstance, and it was the worst and best thing that ever happened to me. Just be aware that once they are in your home...it should be a forever commitment. Are you prepared to deal with their demands for attention? His wanting to kill your significant other, only because he is sitting next to you? Oh my gosh, there are so many scenarios that could happen and would happen,,you don't even have a clue, until it happens.

I love my male umbrella cockatoo, Amigo. I love him for all that he is. His beauty, his bravery, his commitment to me, his mate, (as far as he's concerned).

After four years of living with this bird, I can (only now), say...he's been worth the time and energy, the blood, pain and commitment. I am totally committed to being an umbrella cockatoo owner. I hope you can be too!

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
His wanting to kill your significant other, only because he is sitting next to you?

Mare,

I couldn't stop laughing at this comment.....ROFLMAO....I'm sorry...I know this is serious as I personally know it's true, but it's funny....lol

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
Trying an older bird out for one day, and deciding it's not for you, could be the biggest mistake you ever made...

Getting a baby umbrella cockatoo will probably be the second biggest mistake... He will, when he's older, bond to one person only... He'll be screaming for attention, which is cute in the beginning, but it will be ongoing, if you don't teach him to be independent...

I would have gone for the Corella... They are great birds, but some people don't like the look of their 'bare' eyes...

I do wish you all the best with your U2... He's gorgeous...

OP
ClaireBearx3

ClaireBearx3

Feb 20, 2012
San Diego, California
Parrots
Trying an older bird out for one day, and deciding it's not for you, could be the biggest mistake you ever made...

Getting a baby umbrella cockatoo will probably be the second biggest mistake... He will, when he's older, bond to one person only... He'll be screaming for attention, which is cute in the beginning, but it will be ongoing, if you don't teach him to be independent...

I would have gone for the Corella... They are great birds, but some people don't like the look of their 'bare' eyes...

I do wish you all the best with your U2... He's gorgeous...

As far as the older bird comment goes, I wanted to give him at LEAST a few days for a test run but my husband didn't feel safe leaving me alone with a bird that was behaving that viciously towards me and immediately took him back. I've met several possible older birds we considered adopting but out of all of them the Amazon seemed like the best fit... until we brought him home. I honestly feel horrible about not giving him more time but then again, *I'M* the one that is home all the time, not my hubby, and if I can't get a bird in and out of his cage by myself then he'd have to be locked up all the time. It wouldn't be fair for him, he deserves to find a family (or a single male!) that can give him what he needs... we clearly weren't that family.

After reading everyones comments I'm now even more worried that we made the wrong decision picking a U2 =/ I was told that they usually didn't bond to one person, at least not to the point where they'd attack someone else... THAT definitely worries me. Of course like I said before, I'm the one that spends more time with our pets so they are typically closer to me... that definitely wouldn't be good for my hubby in that case. I really really want Zeus, but I don't wan't to be one of those people that has to give him up one day because we can't handle it. I'm starting to wonder if I should just keep my store credit and let him go to a different home (which really kills me to even think!) =/

greycloud

Mar 21, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Parrots
Sammy-Umbrella Too-rescued,
Dexter-CAG-rehomed handicapped,
Sterling-CAG-rehomed retired breeder.
Sunshine-12 yo CAG-adopted
I understand your confusion and worry. As I have said in my first post, U2s are definitely for the experienced bird owner. Having a new baby makes you see them with rose colored glasses. Cute, sweet, cuddly birds. As with ALL parrots when they mature you will see personality changes. This is normal. Some will be good and some terrible. The terrible can definitely outweigh the good at times. It will be you responsibility as a parront to shape the baby into a well mannered companion. If you fail it will follow that baby throughout its' entire life and any homes to follow.
If you have reservations my advice is to not do it. My second bit of advice is to find a shelter near you and spend time in their cockatoo room. You will see the good and the bad.
On that note, I have owned parrots for over 30 yrs now. My Sammy U2 is a very loving, sweet boy. I wouldn't trade him for the world. He is never to be trusted with anyone. He has never bitten me but would nail my hubs or anyone else in a split second if out of his cage. His screaming can be a pain in the a$$ but it only occurs at dusk and the odd occasion when he wants extra attention. On those days that this occurs you feel like you could run for your life! :)
IMHO, I do not feel that Cockatoos belong in homes as companions. I know this thread has taken a downward spiral for you. I just suggest you take a few hours and visit a rescue and see why Toos are rehomed. They are birds that can be truly misunderstood. We cause their problems, they do what comes naturally.

PortaPerch

Apr 28, 2012
SurfCity, SoCalif
Parrots
Even if you have $$$ invested at another bird store, I suggest you have a detached look at the re-homes at Fran's Exotic Birds in Cypress.

portaperch-albums-perch-picture4359-img-1942-small.jpg
portaperch-albums-perch-picture4353-img-1935-small.jpg

OP
ClaireBearx3

ClaireBearx3

Feb 20, 2012
San Diego, California
Parrots
Even if you have $$$ invested at another bird store, I suggest you have a detached look at the re-homes at Fran's Exotic Birds in Cypress.

portaperch-albums-perch-picture4359-img-1942-small.jpg
portaperch-albums-perch-picture4353-img-1935-small.jpg

They're beautiful but honestly, we can't afford to just forfeit the almost $700 we spent at the shop. We've been saving and researching our "next feathered companion" for some time now, I just never saw all the negatives with cockatoos until recently.

I talked to my hubby last night and we agreed we are going to go to the other shop the same people own (they said we could use a store credit at either location) to talk to the employees there, see what other birds they have, and most likely take back our deposit on Zeus... which is really going to suck cause we're still going to lose almost $100 just by saying we want to keep the store credit with them (yay for only getting a percentage of your money back? grr) There's absolutely no way we can get our money back to use elsewhere so our next companion is going to have to be from either Our Feathered Friends or Bird Haven.

PortaPerch

Apr 28, 2012
SurfCity, SoCalif
Parrots
Sorry, I wasn't suggesting you buy a bird from Fran; just go there and look at some more birds, to get more exposure. Her ex-, Omar, has a couple of bird stores in OC. We haven't been to those, however.

RescueMe

Mar 28, 2012
King George, VA
Parrots
"Sparky" the Blue and gold macaw, "Jax" Red fronted macaw, and "Little Bird" peach faced lovebird
I would suggest that you take a look at a few other species. Some of the other smaller parrots make great family pets. The blue crown conure, the mini macaws, some of the smaller cockatoos are easier to handle. A goffins or a rose breasted are less likely to have major issues. There is no perfect bird, but many other species may be more suitable to your lifestyle and desires. Many people find that the well chosen rescue are much easier to own, they have usually gone through the tough adolescent stage, have been evaluated by professionals or experienced handlers. If a rescue is really good, they will not place you with a bird that will not have a good chance of success with you. They want a bird to have the best chance of a great life and so rarely sugar coat the good, the bad, and the ugly of any bird. This may be something that you can look into, the other great thing is that they allow fostering which gives you time to evaluate the bird at home for a period of time before any commitment is made. I know you are pretty set on a baby, but remember what it means to be solely responsible for the shaping of a personality which is usually done by an entire flock of birds over many years. I would suggest that you take a step back and don't rush into anything even though you are excited to have a new companion. Good luck, and feel free to ask many many questions.

OP
ClaireBearx3

ClaireBearx3

Feb 20, 2012
San Diego, California
Parrots
I think the problem is that to me, there is a perfect bird, and it's an African Grey. Everything we've looked at, researched, played with, whatever... I always compare it to Greys. My husband doesn't think it'd be a good idea to get another one but the more I look into other species the more I can't see myself with anything else. The shop in San Diego had an 8 year old Grey last time we went for the same price as the U2 and he was a little darling, we're planning on going to that shop tomorrow so maybe they will either have him still or other Greys (young or old!) to see.

RescueMe

Mar 28, 2012
King George, VA
Parrots
I have to say, that if you want a social bird that is willing to go to others, a grey is not that bird, usually. I know you loved your bird, but you maybe need to reevaluate your expectations if a grey is to be your next bird. It is not fair to you or the bird to have expectations that the species is not capable of giving. That is not to say don't get a grey, but you need to look at what you really want out of a bird. I personally know that a grey is not for me, no matter how they look, sound, ect. I also am not a small conure person they are adorable and funny and energetic, but the noise is too much for me. Each of us has to consider what we want and need. My macaw is my lifetime companion, it was a happy accident but I love her dearly. She was not what I was looking for, I was looking for a too, but we just really clicked. Sometimes that is all it takes.

Most Reactions