My first Cockatoo! Questions/Comments/Thoughts

jaimmorr

Jul 21, 2011
USA
Parrots
Ricco - Goffin's Cockatoo
Hi, Claire. I have a few things to add...

1. Umbrella Cockatoos are... out of this world. I had the pleasure of growing up with one. Not in my home, but in my best friend since second grade's home. Yes, he was hilarious, comical, adorable, fun, playful, and cuddly. But he was also EXTREMELY loud, very hormonal and "bi-polar", and all around insane. One minute he would be playing with you on the bed, the next moment he would be cuddling under your chin, and two seconds later he would freak out, start screaming, hissing, and lunging for no apparent reason. He took a chunk out of my friend's wrist and was only a few centimeters away from a main artery. She had to have stitches and that was NOTHING compared to a lot of the U2 bites I have seen. HOWEVER; Since that day, he has never bitten anyone. He's very sweet and since they moved him into an enclosure instead of a cage, he doesn't scream anymore. But that's exactly what they need. An ENCLOSURE, not a cage. A big Cockatoo, IMHO, cannot be happy or even satisfied in a cage, no matter the size, unless you stick two double macaw cages together. They really NEED an enclosure. Also... the noise. Have you ever heard an adult U2 scream? If you haven't... I wouldn't suggest acquiring one. It's literally ear shattering. It will make you jump out of your skin if you're not expecting it. If the bird is on your shoulder and it screams... Good luck with your busted ear drum. And I'm not exaggerating. Having a U2 scream in the same room as you feels like you just endured a 3 hour concert. Whew...

2. Getting a BABY U2 especially is not the wisest decision. This is because a few reasons. There are WAY too many 'toos in rescues. There just are. I understand that you don't want to be out $700. I totally understand that. I'm just saying, there are way too many in rescues for ME personally to even consider purchasing one. Also, when a 'too is a baby, they are very sweet, cuddly, quiet, etc. When they hit hormones... They do a COMPLETE and total 180. Usually, at least. They become LOUD, violent, aggressive, etc. Most of the time it's BECAUSE the person got them as a baby. So they don't teach them to play on their own. Also, some people aren't going to agree with this, but: The reason I opted to get an OLDER bird is because think of them in the wild. When they're babies and young adults, they are with their parents all the time. Then they mature and go off and find a mate for life. When you have a bird as a baby and young adult, it's most likely going to look at you as it's parent(s). Then, when it hits maturity, it's going to want to go off and find a suitable mate... Well, that can't happen when it's in your house with only you or your family all the time. Know what I mean? That's one reason I think that getting an older bird is important, because even though we don't want them to think of us as their mates, it's better than being stuck with their "parents" forever.

3. Your last post makes me reeeally think. I really think you should opt for a Grey instead. It seems like, to me, that you are set on one. If you think a Grey is a perfect bird, by all means, get a Grey. Although, I think you should really think of this and take some time in this decision. It's not going to be good for anyone if you get a Grey and just continue comparing it to Dexter. I know that's really tough and if you don't think you'll be able to appreciate a different bird for just that (different), it might be best to reconsider a different species.

I hope I've helped and not hindered your decision. :) It's a big one. If you like Cockatoo personalities, perhaps look into a G2 or an RB2? Or even a BE2. I just got a G2 last weekend and he is absolutely wonderful. I love him to pieces already and haven't even had him a week yet. Definitely check out All About Cockatoos - MyToos.com if you're interested. :) Good luck, dear!

melissasparrots

Feb 15, 2012
Iowa
Parrots
Greater Sulfur Crest Ariel
Goffin's Cassie
Cosmo Hyacinth
Diva, Gremlin, Sprout, Ellie and Oscar Yellow Naped Amazons
Daffy, Mama and Papa Quakers
Linnie the lineolated
+5 parrotlets
Cockatoos and amazons are both species prone to attacking. They also happen to be my two favorite genera. The cockatoo has potential to be a little less one persony than the amazon. Personally I'd feel a little more comfortable recommending a cockatoo for you if it was a girl cockatoo. The screaming is highly variable and depends on how you raise it. If anyone says the bird WILL be screaming for attention, they probably didn't raise their own bird right. My cockatoos scream, but not generally for attention. If they scream, I ignore them. They don't even get acknowledged for screaming and often times I will close the door on them and leave the room if it looks like they are screaming because they are mad about something(my goffin's does this once in a long while). For the most part now mine just scream for a few minutes periodically to blow off steam and strut around which is normal for cockatoos.

As for biting, honestly it can be as easy as just don't let the bird close to your face. Watch body language. Male cockatoos can be difficult. Don't let it lull you into a false sense of security and snuggle up under your chin. Always assume that if your face is in range, your vulnerable to a facial bite. I adore my large cockatoo, but she's got a wicked sense of humor and she's a lousy kisser, so I just don't let her around my face. Some umbrellas can tend more on the side of aggressive than my sulfur crest. I guess, don't let people scare you away from a cockatoo, but don't assume it'll be a cake walk either.

Chances are excellet as he matures he will pick one or the other of you as the favorite and the other person will have to be careful while he's out. A lot of this is true of any other species, but a little more so of boy cockatoos. Cockatoos have a bad rap. Some of it deserving and some not so much. A lot of it really comes down to human expectations and attitutde. You can't change the bird's nature, but you can change your own attitude. If your capable of loving a cockatoo for the inherently wild, intelligent, powerful and alternately sweet/aggressive emotional species that it is and accepting the ultimate goal of giving it a worthy home even if things don't turn out as you wanted, then your probably cockatoo ready. If your still thinking along the lines of I WANT then your probably not ready. If your thoughts are something like I want a bird that loves attention, I want a bird that will love both of us, I want a bird that won't bite, I want a bird that won't scream a lot. Things like that probably mean you might not be ready for most large parrots.

If a male cockatoo scares you, you might talk to the store about credit toward the next female cockatoo they get in. They overall tend to be less one persony at maturity than males and less prone to attacking. You probably will with a female still have the occasional episode of aggression, and probably want to keep it away from your face. But they tend to be a little less volatile overall. They will probably still pick a favorite at maturity, the less favored will probably still have to be careful when the bird is on its favorite person. Just the huge dramatic concequences and emotional swings are less with a female. Cockatoo owners in order to be worthy of the birds really have to have their heads screwed on straight to do them justice. If the bird bites you and you have massive feelings of resentment, insecurity or anxiety, then I would not recommend a large parrot for you and almost certainly not a cockatoo. Cockatoos somehow make everything feel very strongly emotional and personal and some people just can't handle the intensity.

I have 2 female cockatoos, a greater sulfur crest and a goffins. Both will bite my face if given the chance. That said, I do not have any facial scars after 11 years of cockatoo ownership. I know when they are in a mood to do that and I keep my face away. I don't get emotional about it when they get aggressive with me. I don't take it personally. Naughty birds go back in their cage to cool off and they can come back out when they can be decent. If I have company over and I know the bird doesn't like that person, I either keep the bird caged or I'm very careful and don't take my eyes off the bird for a second to protect the other person. In multi human households, sometimes that means the favorite person takes the bird out while the less favored person isn't in the room. They make sure the bird has a large cage and in extreme cases where the bird is outrageously aggressive to other family members a nice 8X8' plus sized outdoor aviary to put the bird in decent weather would be nice for everyone. The less favored person can often handle the bird when the favorite isn't around. I do not have major problems with my girls. But, I have girls, and I always remember the basic nature of a cockatoo and I don't let them catch me off guard. Yes, I do get bit once in a long while but usually its not a seriously bad bite and its generally to the hands because I keep them away from my face. Its easier emotionally to get over a bite to the hand than the face. Neither of my girls have drawn blood in quite some time.
Melissa

Last edited:
OP
ClaireBearx3

ClaireBearx3

Feb 20, 2012
San Diego, California
Parrots
Congo African Grey, Dexter (RIP); Breeding pair of Green Cheek Conures, Bonnie & Clyde; Three Budgerigars, Joe Jonas, Taylor Swift, and Bruce Willis
3. Your last post makes me reeeally think. I really think you should opt for a Grey instead. It seems like, to me, that you are set on one. If you think a Grey is a perfect bird, by all means, get a Grey. Although, I think you should really think of this and take some time in this decision. It's not going to be good for anyone if you get a Grey and just continue comparing it to Dexter. I know that's really tough and if you don't think you'll be able to appreciate a different bird for just that (different), it might be best to reconsider a different species.

I hope I've helped and not hindered your decision. :) It's a big one. If you like Cockatoo personalities, perhaps look into a G2 or an RB2? Or even a BE2. I just got a G2 last weekend and he is absolutely wonderful. I love him to pieces already and haven't even had him a week yet. Definitely check out All About Cockatoos - MyToos.com if you're interested. :) Good luck, dear!

Well, I'm about 99% sure after reading everyones comments and doing some real in depth research that a cockatoo is not for us.

I know I'll never replace Dexter, but as far as Greys as a whole go in general they really are more fitting for our family. Even at their loudest they aren't nearly as bad as cockatoos/macaws, so the noise factor is much more comforting. They aren't cuddly like my husband wants, but they tend to like head scratches... so I feel like that's a happy medium. Their size is much more comforting as well, sure they still have one hell of a beak but it's not nearly as huge as a U2 beak, so it's not AS frightening. Because we've already had a Grey we already know and understand a lot of their body language so even if we were to go with an older one we'd "understand" him (if that makes any sense at all?). The only real negative I can see with Greys is that they tend to be more one-person birds.

melissasparrots

Feb 15, 2012
Iowa
Parrots
Goffin's Cassie
Cosmo Hyacinth
Linnie the lineolated
+5 parrotlets
"understand" him (if that makes any sense at all?). The only real negative I can see with Greys is that they tend to be more one-person birds.

If a CAG is too close to your other grey, why not look into a TAG? I really like timnehs myself. The one person bird issue I think is exactly why so many couples have multiple birds. His birds and her birds. LOL

RescueMe

Mar 28, 2012
King George, VA
Parrots
"Sparky" the Blue and gold macaw, "Jax" Red fronted macaw, and "Little Bird" peach faced lovebird
I am all for you getting exactly what fits for your family, but I also wouldn't count out the large conures. They are great birds, that tend to be way more interactive than a CAG. Just don't rush, that $700 doesn't have an expiration date, does it?

OP
ClaireBearx3

ClaireBearx3

Feb 20, 2012
San Diego, California
Parrots
Congo African Grey, Dexter (RIP); Breeding pair of Green Cheek Conures, Bonnie & Clyde; Three Budgerigars, Joe Jonas, Taylor Swift, and Bruce Willis
"understand" him (if that makes any sense at all?). The only real negative I can see with Greys is that they tend to be more one-person birds.

If a CAG is too close to your other grey, why not look into a TAG? I really like timnehs myself. The one person bird issue I think is exactly why so many couples have multiple birds. His birds and her birds. LOL

I am all for you getting exactly what fits for your family, but I also wouldn't count out the large conures. They are great birds, that tend to be way more interactive than a CAG. Just don't rush, that $700 doesn't have an expiration date, does it?

I actually mentioned the TAG to my hubby but he's not 100% sure. I've always loved Greys, the second I saw the PBS Nature "Parrots: Look Who's Talking" documentary when I must have been 7 or 8 years old I decided I wanted (read: needed) a Grey. My hubby is just worried about seeing me as depressed as I was after losing Dexter again so he's taking this very cautiously when it comes to thinking about another Grey. It's completely understandable but I just don't know if I'll be happy with anything else.

I've looked into some of the larger conures but I'm pretty sure my GCCs are enough conures for me! You're right though, we probably will end up getting two larger birds, I don't know if hubby and I will ever be able to agree on just one! The $700...well I guess soon to be $600 has a 2 year expiration, so we do have plenty of time to think about it, I guess we were just very excited about the prospect of being able to bring a little companion home so we definitely rushed and shouldn't have. =/ We're gonna go to the other shop early tomorrow to see whats there and see what else they can do for us.

bumblebec

Jul 2, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Lola the Sun Conure & Mimi the Nanday Conure
I would never recommend a big cockatoo to anyone... While they can be very cuddly, cute and endearing when they are babies, they grow up and can become very aggressive, unpredictable and bitey. They are also INCREDIBLY loud... they don't just scream in the morning and night like other birds, they scream when they're mad, they scream when they're happy, they scream when they're excited, they scream when they're scared, they scream when they're playing... they scream a LOT. I'm sure the people who own well trained and adjusted cockatoos love them, but I would never, EVER, recommend one to someone as a pet... Even here in Australia, where cockatoos are about $150 H/R and found almost everywhere in the wild, hardly anyone owns them. They can be lovely birds, they are beautiful, smart and hilarious to watch, but not something that everyone can handle.

From what I have read, you are looking for a bird that is going to be less of a one-person bird then your grey, a cockatoo could not be worse for that. SOME cockatoos like the whole family, but most only like one person, and will aggressively attack other family members. From the sounds of things, you're home almost all the time with the bird. I don't think it's realistic for your husband to want any bird to bond to him and yourself, if you're home with the bird twice as much as your husband, it doesn't matter what type of bird you have, it's not going to be interested in him. Unless it bonds to your husband first... and then you're going to have to deal with a bird that pines for him while he's away and you're home, and may show little to no interest in you.

It seems you are looking more for a big bird as you were also looking at amazons (also not a bird I would quickly recommend to someone, especially a couple), if you're set on a bigger bird, have you looked at macaws? They are less prone to the issues cockatoos have and make better family pets.

If you are really wanting a grey, why not get one? It sounds like they really are your favourite. If you're worried about it being a one-person bird again, maybe your husband could get his own bird. Some birds are more or less prone to bonding to just one person, but you can't ever 100% guarantee it. You could find a friendly sun conure that would attack all but it's bonded person, or you could find a cockatoo that loves every single person it meets, it really depends on the bird and how it's raised. I know plenty of greys that happily enjoy the company of each person in the house, but I also know plenty that will only tolerate their chosen person, it just really depends on so much different things.

Last edited:

melissasparrots

Feb 15, 2012
Iowa
Parrots
Goffin's Cassie
Cosmo Hyacinth
Linnie the lineolated
+5 parrotlets
It seems you are looking more for a big bird as you were also looking at amazons (also not a bird I would quickly recommend to someone, especially a couple), if you're set on a bigger bird, have you looked at macaws? They are less prone to the issues cockatoos have and make better family pets.

I wouldn't recommend a macaw as necessarily that much better than a cockatoo. They still can be one persony at maturity. When in doubt I'd still go for a girl as the best shot of not having so much aggression against the least favorite. My macaw is the resident screamer for attention and percieved injustice. The cockatoos are quiet as mice by comparrison. Macaws tend overall to be less likely to come across the room and attack the least favorite person, but that dosn't mean they won't nail them if they stick their hand in the cage or get pushy trying to make friends. Any large parrot is prone to the same stuff a cockatoo will be prone to. Cockatoos just take it up a notch. Males might take it up a couple notches.

bumblebec

Jul 2, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Lola the Sun Conure & Mimi the Nanday Conure

I wouldn't recommend a macaw as necessarily that much better than a cockatoo. They still can be one persony at maturity. When in doubt I'd still go for a girl as the best shot of not having so much aggression against the least favorite. My macaw is the resident screamer for attention and percieved injustice. The cockatoos are quiet as mice by comparrison. Macaws tend overall to be less likely to come across the room and attack the least favorite person, but that dosn't mean they won't nail them if they stick their hand in the cage or get pushy trying to make friends. Any large parrot is prone to the same stuff a cockatoo will be prone to. Cockatoos just take it up a notch. Males might take it up a couple notches.
You are right in saying that, definitely!

I would be more inclined to recommend a macaw over a cockatoo to someone completely determined to get a big bird, though.

PortaPerch

Apr 28, 2012
SurfCity, SoCalif
Parrots
Chewbaca, F. Galah, h10/10;
Greybeard, M. Congo AG h03/09
We think Greybeard is just about the perfect bird. We keep his wings trimmed. He's bonded to wifey, and I am his rival. She pets and cuddles him; I carry him on a perch. He talks to her in my voice. I put him on the toilet for his morning do, feed him, etc., without ever touching him. He lets me know he's hungry when he waddles across the room to me in search of toes.

portaperch-albums-perch-picture4059t-hpim1369-medium.jpg

OP
ClaireBearx3

ClaireBearx3

Feb 20, 2012
San Diego, California
Parrots
Well we went to both parrot shops yesterday and cancelled our deposit on the U2. After several serious talks with my husband we decided that we should just get two birds since neither of us are going to be happy with each others choices. I'm always going to want a Grey, and he's always going to want "his own bird" of some kind. I looked at the TAGs at the shop but I really, really want a CAG, so we've been added to the waitlist (yay for being bumped up to the top!) so they'll call us in a few weeks when they get babies in again. We transferred our deposit on the U2 over to a 9 year old Caique (hubby's choice) and he's a total darling! Funny thing is I've been trying to get my hubby to look at Caiques for AGES because I thought he'd love them but he was always against it... when he met "Raphael" yesterday it was love at first sight! LOL! I think we'll be much happier with this decision than we would have been with the U2. Who knows, maybe one day we'll wind up with another large bird... but I highly doubt it'll be a 'too!

RescueMe

Mar 28, 2012
King George, VA
Parrots
"Sparky" the Blue and gold macaw, "Jax" Red fronted macaw, and "Little Bird" peach faced lovebird
Good for you on making the decision thats right for you family. You will have a much better chance of success this way!

terry52449

Feb 11, 2012
Media
The Villages, Fl
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo: Cameo
I am an owner of a beautiful female U2 and wouldn`t trade her for anything but for someone without experiece and to get a male U2 is not a wise move. Young male toos are adorible cuddley creatures until they get to mating age and then they can become your worst nightmare. If you insist on a too then get a female. Much less hormonal issues although they do get moody during they`re mating time which can seem always.
My Cameo loves my wife and I the same which I believe is a miracle. They usually bond to one or the other and an be very possessive.
Even though I love cockatoos I can`t advise someone to get one without experience with large birds and has no fear of them. Cockatoos are not for everyone.
Good luck and choose wisely.

terry52449

Feb 11, 2012
Media
The Villages, Fl
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo: Cameo
I recommend staying away from a male cockatoo due to they`re hormonal mood swings. You`ll have a sweet fun filled baby much like a new puppy but then he will mature into a stubborn screaming jealous devil in white. Only an experienced owner should keep a male. They need alot of training and patience with perameters or they will run your life ragged. Just when you think he`s under control he`ll give you something else to think about.

Most Reactions

Latest posts