My garden....it's getting there

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
wow Wendy, she is beautiful. Did you use miracle grow potting soil when you planted it. ? It seems really happy. I can't believe how big it has grown.:)

OP
J

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
wow Wendy, she is beautiful. Did you use miracle grow potting soil when you planted it. ? It seems really happy. I can't believe how big it has grown.:)

Yes, Alison, I used Miracle Grow with Moisture Control, plus I added extra perlite and vermiculite to keep the dirt soft, easy for roots to grow, and for extra moisture retention. I also feed her at least twice a week. I alternate between fish emulsion, orchid food and regular plant food. :)

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
I am going to have to try that. I have both orchid and fish emulsian and reg plant food. I think I am not feeding mine enough., and the two yellow ones I bought need to go in a bigger pot. I will give the moisture type a try as I used regular miracle grow for the other two. Hugs Alison:)

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
That flower is very pretty!!!! I lost most of my double blooming azaleas because of my dogs....ugh....They like to pee on them so I need to plant something more hardy where they like to pee at.

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
You people are all so good at this stuff and i am a NEWB!!! Never heard of brugmansia before but it's really cool looking and i'm amazed at the growth.

I did finally get rid of all those arbor vitaes that i didn't want and want to plant roses in the spring. I'm currently obsessed with obtaining a crepe myrtle at some point too. Other people's garden photos inspire me. ;)

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
I have about 8 different blooms of crepe myrtle. I love them because of their barks, they looked decorative. Get a big one to begin with if you like the trunk part as much as I do cause the young ones takes forever!!!!

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
Even in Fla it seems to take two or three years for the crepes to get growing. I agree get a big one to start. They also take a while to leaf out in the spring so don't cut them back because you think they have had it. The brugs or also called angel trumpets are tropical but can be kept dormant in the winter. They are not bird safe plants so do not put them where the parrots can get to them. They are gorgeous plants and well worth any care:)

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
MickyTN Have you given any thought to a row of fire hydrents? They would be quite decorative and a conversation starter and the dogs would love it:D

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
LoL....that might be the wise thing to do....have to think about it....lol

OP
J

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
You people are all so good at this stuff and i am a NEWB!!! Never heard of brugmansia before but it's really cool looking and i'm amazed at the growth.

I did finally get rid of all those arbor vitaes that i didn't want and want to plant roses in the spring. I'm currently obsessed with obtaining a crepe myrtle at some point too. Other people's garden photos inspire me. ;)

I will be bringing my Brug (Angel Trumpet) indoors as soon as there is frost in the forecast. Many people over winter them in the garage, where they go dormant, but I will attempt to keep her actively growing in my dining room. We bought a dolly, so it will be easier to roll her around, lol. I also need to put a pan under the pot, otherwise I'll end up with water in the dining room.

Crepe Myrtles do GREAT for us. We have 3 of them, and they are all gorgeous! We started with small ones, but they grow at a fair rate, and the bark on the small ones peels off, too. They make VERY nice trees, not overly big, and they can be shaped, too.

OP
J

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Even though it's October, some of my plants just don't want to quit.

Here are some pictures I took this morning of what's still blooming...and the last picture is THE biggest surprise of them all....

Ok, so my water hyacinth isn't blooming, but boy is it multiplying

Teasing Georgia David Austin Rose

Fragrant Cloud Hybrid Tea Rose

Abraham Darby David Austin Rose

Clematis

Double Delight Hybrid Tea Rose

Hardy Hibiscus

My Angel Trumpet (Brugmansia "Painted Lady") FIRST YEAR plant!!!

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
OMG Wendy. that brug is unbelievable for a first year plant so pretty. I can't wait for mine to start. The roses look great as well as the others. How are fish doing in there little corner of paradise? I just bought two heirloom tomatoe plants to put in pots. The cherry type do well in the summer but now is the time to grow the bigger ones down here in Fla. That took me a while to get used to the different growing seasons down here. Hugs Alison:)

OP
J

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Thanks, Alison. :) That Brug REALLY surprised me. Remember I told you how many buds I had, and I was SO scared we were going to get hit by an early frost, but no, we've been having CRAZY warm and windy weather over here, with TONS and tons of rain. :eek: Depending on how she does for me over the winter (she's going into the dining room), I'll be getting at least 2 more Brugs next year. :D

And I dare not take pictures of my entire rose bushes because they look pitiful. Full of black spot, barely any leaves left, yet they are sending out the flowers.

My fish are doing TOO good. I wish they would stop multiplying at the rate they're going at it. :54:

We still have one tomato plant that's in the ground, and 4 hot peppers. The hot peppers LOVE this weather, they don't do much at all during the hot summer months.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
Most of my plants quit blooming outside except my butterfly bushes, roses, gardenia, and my prized camellia. I have two camellia but the younger one of the two have not bloomed yet for the past two years. I wonder why???

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
We had a really wet winter and (snif) I lost *all* my violets to drowning. I had a nice little collection of about twenty varieties and now I'll have to start again. Like you, Wendy, my roses are all riddled with black spot. BUT, the wet winter has set them up well for flowering and they've gone mad! I've got climbing Queen Elizabeth (pink) and Papa Meilland (dark red) out the front and people keep stopping their cars to take photos of them. (Which is funny, 'cause our house is pretty small and uninteresting). Then, I've got a large Double Delight (my favourite) and a Granada also out the front and blooming nicely. In the back yard, my *dear* husband built me raised beds and I've got twenty-five bushes (all hybrid teas) doing nicely.

Best of all, though, is my Rainforest Corner, which sports a tree fern taller than me, our Frog Pond (including Sgr Frogoletto, our resident bass baritone marsh frog) and six hanging baskets loaded with orchids. My D. nobile has flowered this year and she's just *gorgeous*! So happy about that!

My son loves gardening and he has his own raised bed where he grows gladioli and other bulbs. We have lots of different geraniums, ranging from white to red/black and a few native trees for the birds. I'm torn between exotic and native species, but my yard is only very small (quarter of an acre). I've got a Buckinghamia ready to put in, but can't decide where. !!! Also, my Ginkgo biloba and Fiddle-leaved fig have been surviving in large pots for years now and really need a permanent home. Where? !!!

When I ran out of trees to hang basket in, I started on the clothesline. This means I have to wash every day to be able to use what's left of it. LOL! I love gardening and flowers: like birds, they somehow make you a better person, don't you think?

Most Reactions