My GCC has learned to talk!

Kokihi

Aug 11, 2010
Santa Barbara county, California
Parrots
One Green Cheek Conure: Tori
If any of you have seen my thread about my beautiful baby birdy Tori, you'll know the fun we've had teaching him to step up and be nice. Well, my baby birdy is growing up! Hes learned to say "Hi Tori!" and "Hi Tori Bird!" for a GCC, he speaks pretty clearly most of the time. He will occasionally try to say it too fast, and it will just sound like chirping, but when he slows down, and is quiet about it, he is extremely clear! I've been trying to get a video of him talking nicely, but haven't been too successful because he is afraid of my camera.

I'm not super sure how he picked this up. I do great him with "Hi Tori Bird!" When I approach his cage some times, but not all the time. Anyone have an idea how he picked this up, or any stories of their pretty birdies talking to them?

birdiemomma

Dec 2, 2010
California
Parrots
My Hahn's Macaw Bella <3
I talk to Bella 24/7 when I am doing stuff. It all started with a simple: Hi, Hello & Step up.. now she says Hi, Hello, Step Up, Good Night,No, Mine & Bella. She also laughs, clicks & makes kissy noises. Basically what I have done is leave the tv on where she is at while I am gone, talk to her all the time, & "praise" her and give her scratches when she says stuff. I am so proud of her :)

Beilana

Jun 14, 2010
Calgary, Ab, Canada
Parrots
Chia!!!! Cinnamon GCC
Aw that is adorable! Go Tori!!!! Chia makes kissy noises and says "Chia" but it isn't clear at all and someone who doesn't know her well wouldn't know what she is saying lol.

He probably picked up "Hi Tori Bird" from you greeting him when you approach his cage, sometimes things don't need to be said often for them to pick it up :)

OP
Kokihi

Kokihi

Aug 11, 2010
Parrots
I just am blown away by how parrots can learn to speak our language. Some even know what the words mean. Such smart creatures! Both of your birdies sound adorable! ^_^

miss-A

Dec 4, 2010
Media
belfast, northern ireland
Parrots
Alexandrine, Archie & Blue and Gold Macaw Vincent & blue fronted amazon, lewis
i couldnt believe it when archie said his first word, i was lying in bed one morning and heard this 'hello!' from his room it was amazing he now says loads of things, hello archie, go on archie, he laughs, ur a good boy what you doin and when i say gimme a kiss he does a big mmmmwwwahhhh! he picks up new things every week

Adz

Jan 9, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
How long did it take for your birds to learn to speak?

How did you train them?

Loco is about 4 months old and he's starting to make a lot more noise, I'm trying to train him to say 'Birdie' and then 'num num', just like the Peter Sellers movie 'The Party' hahaha.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ov5fvCHmxo]YouTube - ‪Peter Sellers in The Party doing the Birdie Num Num scene‬‏[/ame]

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Congrats with your bird starting to talk, it is so exciting when our birds start saying little things like hello hi There is no stopping them now.
Remember your bird hears everything that is being said, and they never forget.
Last week I took Mishka to go shower and said come on lets go shower now
Earlier this morning I thought he was saying flower, then asked him what did you say, he replied come lets go shower now

Keep talking all the time, as long as you are talking they are busy learning

wildheart

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
I just am blown away by how parrots can learn to speak our language. Some even know what the words mean. Such smart creatures!

If you look at it from my upside down world then animals are much more intelligent in a complete different way than what we are. We cannot speak or understand their language and we are only guessing when we try and figure out their behaviour. Yet, I have taught a lizard with only a point of finger and the word toilet that he must go and poop and he obeys every single time.:D

Now Kokihi where is the Tori video!
4chsmu1.gif
It is a memory that you need to capture and keep forever.:D

OP
Kokihi

Kokihi

Aug 11, 2010
Parrots
How long did it take for your birds to learn to speak?

How did you train them?

Loco is about 4 months old and he's starting to make a lot more noise, I'm trying to train him to say 'Birdie' and then 'num num', just like the Peter Sellers movie 'The Party' hahaha.

YouTube - ‪Peter Sellers in The Party doing the Birdie Num Num scene‬‏

I got my Tori Bird a few months ago. I didn't really train him on purpose to talk, I just repeated the words to him. I say them back to him and tell him "Good Bird!" when he says the words clearly so that he will keep saying them.

Now he doesn't stop saying it! its like whenever he opens his beak hes saying "Hi Tori!" Especially when he wants attention.

OP
Kokihi

Kokihi

Aug 11, 2010
Parrots
I just am blown away by how parrots can learn to speak our language. Some even know what the words mean. Such smart creatures!

If you look at it from my upside down world then animals are much more intelligent in a complete different way than what we are. We cannot speak or understand their language and we are only guessing when we try and figure out their behaviour. Yet, I have taught a lizard with only a point of finger and the word toilet that he must go and poop and he obeys every single time.:D

Now Kokihi where is the Tori video!
4chsmu1.gif
It is a memory that you need to capture and keep forever.:D

lol, I need to get him familiar with my camera! He is scared of it, so he doesn't talk to it, he just flies away...well...tries to fly away. His wings were clipped when I got him, but I'm letting his flight feathers grow back. They haven't all come in yet, but he is able to cover the distance across my tiny bedroom. He flew from the top of his cage on one side of the room to my bed on the other side of the room today, and seemed quite pleased with himself. :)

OP
Kokihi

Kokihi

Aug 11, 2010
Parrots
I just realized Tori has also picked up "Good Bird!"

I was having him take a bath (unsuccessfully) and he flew down to the ground. I offered my hand and told him "Step up." He did so very nicely and before I could say it, he said "Good Bird!"

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old

I was having him take a bath (unsuccessfully) and he flew down to the ground. I offered my hand and told him "Step up." He did so very nicely and before I could say it, he said "Good Bird!"

Wow he sure is learning quickly, congrats

Add on two new words now to good bird "clever boy"

Continue saying good bird in the same tone you did, but when saying clever boy now, say clever boy, using another tone, emphasizing the boy to boooy

You will be surprised how quickly he will catch on and be saying it soon.

Keep up the great work

OP
Kokihi

Kokihi

Aug 11, 2010
Parrots

Wow he sure is learning quickly, congrats

Add on two new words now to good bird "clever boy"

Continue saying good bird in the same tone you did, but when saying clever boy now, say clever boy, using another tone, emphasizing the boy to boooy

You will be surprised how quickly he will catch on and be saying it soon.

Keep up the great work
I'll try that! :)

Robert Gift

Oct 9, 2010
Denver, Colorado USA
Parrots
Liang Zai "pretty boy" in Mandarin Chinese.
3-year-old Jenday supervisor!
Canary: Johann Sebastian Bird
Alarm conure

Years ago, Princess, blue-crowned conure, would open her cage, come out and poop, then hop onto my bed next to her cage.
Cinder, my black cat, would attack.
Even though I got home from work after midnight, squawks and attacks played out on top of me would awaken me every morning at 6 a.m..

Last edited:
OP
Kokihi

Kokihi

Aug 11, 2010
Parrots
Re: Alarm conure

Years ago, Princess, blue-crowned conure, would open her cage, come out and poop, then hop onto my bed next to her cage.
Cinder, my black cat, would attack.
Even though I got home from work after midnight, squawks and attacks played out on top of me would awaken me every morning at 6 a.m..

Uh oh! :eek:

OP
Kokihi

Kokihi

Aug 11, 2010
Parrots
Mwahahaha! I managed to catch Tori saying "Hi Tori" on video! Hes trying to say it too fast, so he isn't saying it as clearly as he usually does.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFcRzTweYWw]YouTube - Tori talks[/ame]

Most Reactions