My GCC's white eye-ring has turned yellowish. . .

cmwheels

Jan 23, 2014
Parrots
Pip, a GCC
Hello all. If anyone can answer this query, I'd be grateful:

My GCC is 4 months old, seems perfectly healthy and lively, and is gorgeously affectionate - lucky me!. Today however, I noticed that Pip's eye rings are yellowish, rather than white.

Should I be concerned? As Pip is my first GCC, I wondered if this is normal? If not, what might have caused it? Any advice / suggestions much appreciated.

Thanks,

Claire

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Birds can get bruises that appear greenish or yellowish in color.

Likewise, a vitamin A enriched diet (re: carrots, yams or other things) may cause the skin to change yellow.

Or it could be as simple as your bird rubbing his/her head on a yellow toy, a yellow perch, or a yellow mineral block, temporarily dyeing the skin.

Do any of those seem to ad up at all???

OP
C

cmwheels

Jan 23, 2014
Parrots
Pip, a GCC
Hi. Thanks for your reply. What you suggest fits with my thinking - about Pip's food - and there is yellow coloured stick that has been a favourite lately.

My worry is that the colouration is an indicator of a health issue - e.g. With Pip's Liver or Kidneys - is that a possibility or would there usually be other symptoms in your experience?

Thanks again,

Claire

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
It's highly unlikely at 4 months old. Not impossible, but unlikely, for there to be a health problem like that, unless he's been eating something that would negatively effect his health in that manner.

When in doubt, it doesn't hurt to call an avian vet and get a thorough check up done. If you haven't done so already, getting a blood panel and fecal done would be a good base to start to ensure he's healthy and would be a good reference for future exams.

WhirlyBirdy

Dec 15, 2013
australia
Parrots
Sun conure and Yellow sided green cheek
The same think happens to our greencheek his feet and eye rings turn yellow, he loves taking bathes and then rubbing his head on his yellow calcium perchy thing. So if you want to test that theory of whether it is a toy or health problem, a very reassuring way is to wet your finger and touch the toys and see if any dyes come off. I mean hypothetically soeaking it could still be a health oroblem but if dyes rub off i think you might be able to be more relaxed

Most Reactions

Latest posts