My grey is finally tame!!

alfy1

Apr 17, 2013
6 months ago I have opened a thread on this forum :
http://www.parrotforums.com/congo-timneh-greys/30334-wild-caught-african-gray.html
Well , I am happy to say that he is now tame , so taming wild birds is not impossible as most people say. It didn't even take a lot of time and work for me. One month ago he didn't let me touch him and at one point we thought about putting him up for adoption , but then I started to talk to him everyday calmly for about 30 minutes and he changed completely. At first he tried to hide from me in the back of the cage but after a few days he came closer and closer to me. One day , he tried to climb on my shoulder , and he climbed on my shoulder everyday after that day. One day when he was on my shoulder , I tried touching him slowly with my head . At first he was very very scared , but then he got used to that. Two days ago , he put his head on my cheek and he let it there for some time. Today , he put his head again on my cheek but a lot more times , and I turned my head to him and kissed him on his head. After that , I tried to touch him with my hand and he let me pet him!!! And he doesn't want to go back to his cage now :D. Oh , and he also learned to say : How are you ? , Kiss you , and my mother's name.
If there is anybody else who accidentally bought a wild parrot ,like me , please don't lose your hope !

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
It is possible to tame wild birds, I know people with birds purchased in the late 80's who were wild caught, and they are very tame. But it's never something do be done, purchasing a wild caught bird, no matter how sad they are, only supports the poachers who are out their capturing them.

that is great that your grey is now tame, a much better life for a tame bird :)

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
You have done a splendid job

All it takes is love, patience, perseverance and understanding.
You have definitely proved all the above.

HIGH FIVE !!!!!

OP
A

alfy1

Apr 17, 2013
I know , I would have NEVER bought a wild caught bird , but I was bad informed and didn't now that my grey was wild caught ( and I'm still not sure if he was wild caught or not , I just thought he was because he didn't have a ring - a thing I have learned later). And I'm sorry for my English!

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Mickaboo often works with wild parrots! Although not greys, they are conures. If captured at a young age and unable to be returned to the wild flock, the birds can and do become pets! Some even learn to talk!

I've wanted one of these wild conures for years! I've dreamed of having one of these conures for years, not because they are part of a famous flock, but because these birds *know* they are birds! Hand raised birds often think they are 'feathered humans' rather than parrots! One of the coordinators for the wild flock even mentioned that these birds are easier to care for than hand raised birds, which I found interesting!

Glad you didn't give up on your grey and you have finally earned his trust! :) Well done!

faeryphoebe1

Feb 1, 2013
Media
San Antonio, Texas
Parrots
Trixie, Sunny & Gonzo♡♡♡
Alfy, congratulations on taming your grey! :jumping40 Your hard work paid off.

Do you have any pictures of him that you can share? We love to see parrot pictures.

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
CAG Quincy - BD 3/27/00. Gotcha 6/00 ~ GW Macaw Savannah - BD 6/21/93. Gotcha 4/13 ~ B&G Macaw Coqui - BD 9/3/03. Gotcha 10/13 ~ Blue Crown Conure Sidney - BD Unknown Approx 5 Years Old. Gotcha 6/15/
Kudos!! Great job on your part. You will have a friend for life!

Most Reactions

Latest posts