My heart is breaking

SharlenaSharlena

May 20, 2013
Portland,OR
Parrots
Skittles - Blue Mnt. Male Lorikeet
Starburst -Blue Mnt. Female Lorikeet
Kiwi - Lutino Cockatiel Male
Praying for you Mike and your family! I know its so frustrating being sick and feeling helpless! When I was going through chemotherapy a few months ago I had such a hard time taking care of the bird when they were bubs. I felt so helpless and there were times they felt it. Mac will be okay and this time at the sanctuary will give him the time he needs to relax. Maybe he is reacting to the stress of seeing someone he cares about ailing? I will pray for you and Mac and your family tonight!

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
I can only echo what everyone else has said. From your health, to your separation grief, to your decision, to Mac's new home.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Mike is am so sorry about your health issues, I am devastated no words can explain how I am feeling.
I pray there is an improvement and you recover.

You have done the bravest and most courageous thing ever, giving Mac to someone who will hopefully correct his ways.....

You are constantly in my thoughts and prayers Mike

Praying for both you and wife and Mac.
X X

Last edited:

kc_y0

Nov 17, 2011
Media
Sydney
Parrots
Eclectus Female - Audrey.
Art - Budgie.
Astro - Budgie.
Mini - Budgie, RIP gorgeous girl.
I am very sorry to hear this news. :( You did all that you could for him. I hope your health is on the mend now!

OP
mtdoramike

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
Thank you all for your prayers and responses. I didn't want to burden anyone with all this, but I have had a couple of emails asking where I have been. I'm literally crying as I'm reading your responses. My wife keeps telling me that we have done all we could do and my doctor couldn't believe what I had been doing staying up with Mac for all hours of the night and wasn't happy about this at all because it has taken it's toll on me. So now all he wants me to do is rest. But even that is hard to do when I miss my buddy so. I didn't think it would be this difficult, but I devoted quite a bit of my life for the past two years to Mac.

But there is no doubt I made the right decision, those people love him already and he seems to have taken to them as well.

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
When my wife and I went thru some hard times in our marraige a few years back my conure George and I grew closer than we had ever been. When he passed away the feeling of loss was amplified due to those hard times we both bonded thru.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
It's hard Mike having so much to deal with
At least you can rest assure that Mac is being cared and loved unconditionally.
So glad you are able to stay in contact with Mac, gives you peace of mind, knowing you did what was best for Mac.

Praying you recover quickly
Always in our thoughts and prayers
X X

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
SE Florida and Sullivan County, NY
Parrots
Cody-Blu, female Blue-Crowned Conure, Hatched - (approx) June 1, 2014, in a South Florida tree.

Pritti (Cherry-Head Conure) -- Fly in Peace my beautiful boy. Forever I'll love you.
Oh No :-((
So sorry to hear about your missing Mac. Hard decsion but sounds like the right one for Mac, you and your wife. I hope u r feeling better from your surgery and look forward to reading lots of your great posts when you are up to it.

Best,
Kacee

chippy

Feb 16, 2013
Parrots
2 Indian Ringnecks, Tiki (DH's) and Pippin (mine), 1 lovebird, Gemma (DD's) and 1 in birdy Heaven... RIP, Wilbur.
I know it was difficult to do, but I think you made the most loving decision possible under your difficult circumstances. (((hugs))

OP
mtdoramike

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
I have gotten numerous updates on Mac, for the first week, it was a might tough to read the emails and view the videos and pictures of Mac with his new family. But now it's getting a bit easier to accept. He seems very happy as do his new owners. They have been able to do things with Mac that took me quite a while to do. His feathers are coming in nicely and he seems to be leaving them alone without them having to stay up with him all night.

Now here is the real kicker: Since Mac's departure, both my wife and I have seen such a drastic change in Tiki our Senegal. My wife even commented that we can't even tell we have a bird in the house. Tiki was rambunctious to say the least when Mac was here and was constantly chattering, screaming and chirping. She also was quite moody and wanted to nip and bite quite frequently. But since Mac has left, Tiki has calmed down considerably. She is no longer moody, noisy and has been down right sweet as sugar to everyone. She has always been my baby, but some times she could make a preacher cuss up a blue streak. But for the past two weeks, she has been a complete joy.

So I figure there has to be one of a few things going on here and that is:

1. She saw Mac go out the door and not come back so she is laying low trying to be seen and not heard:)

2. She is in a honeymoon phase since she is back to being the only bird in the house.

3. or (and this is my feeling) that she didn't particularly care for Mac and she has been rebelling for the past two years and now that he's no longer around, she's happy with that.

I know Mac and Tiki didn't particularly like one another and were tolerant of each others company at best. So with Mac flourishing in his new environment and Tiki showing a complete change of personality since Mac has left makes me less sad and heart broken and figure it may very well have been the best thing for both of them.

OP
mtdoramike

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
Oh No :-((
So sorry to hear about your missing Mac. Hard decsion but sounds like the right one for Mac, you and your wife. I hope u r feeling better from your surgery and look forward to reading lots of your great posts when you are up to it.

Best,
Kacee

I have read posts to where people have received a rehomed animal only to call or show up wanting their animal back, I thought that is just crazy. But I can see how they felt at that moment. I have had to fight that urge myself.:(

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
I would go with option three as well.

It feels horrible saying this, but it does sound like you made the best decision. I know you loved and cherished Mac, but if he's doing better and Tiki is happy once again, it seems like it was a good decision.

I wonder of Tiki might have been causing Mac a lot of stress and Mac went after himself because of Tiki. Do you think that's possible?

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
CAG Quincy - BD 3/27/00. Gotcha 6/00 ~ GW Macaw Savannah - BD 6/21/93. Gotcha 4/13 ~ B&G Macaw Coqui - BD 9/3/03. Gotcha 10/13 ~ Blue Crown Conure Sidney - BD Unknown Approx 5 Years Old. Gotcha 6/15/
I most definitely think it was 3. It sounds like you did the best thing for Mac and Tiki. So glad you got your sweet Tiki back, but sorry you had to lose Mac in the process. But it really does sounds like they are both happy now. Try to take comfort in knowing that, although I know it must be hard.

OP
mtdoramike

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
I would go with option three as well.

It feels horrible saying this, but it does sound like you made the best decision. I know you loved and cherished Mac, but if he's doing better and Tiki is happy once again, it seems like it was a good decision.

I wonder of Tiki might have been causing Mac a lot of stress and Mac went after himself because of Tiki. Do you think that's possible?

Yes, I think Mac was very jealous of Tiki and that is why he would try and bite her head off every chance he got. We had to keep them separated in different rooms most of the time to make sure Mac couldn't attack Tiki. The previous owner was quite like me in a lot of ways and Mac didn't have to share him with any other bird. But here, Mac had to share me with Tiki and I think he was attacking his feathers out of frustration. I was so hoping to overcome this, but it wasn't meant to be. But at least where Mac is now, he has no other animals to compete with except some horses. I think this is why he's really improved.

Attachments

• Mac0924-5.JPG
    Mac0924-5.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 140
  • Mac924-2.jpg
    Mac924-2.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 174
  • Mac924-3.JPG
    Mac924-3.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 139
OP
mtdoramike

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
It's been close to 6 weeks since Mac has left. I still really miss him quite a bit. But he is doing wonderfully with his new family. He has been leaving his feathers alone. I'm almost done with the medical treatments. This is the last week for them. I have really been surprised by Tiki. She has been the sweetest joy since Mac has left, it's like a totally different bird. You wouldn't even know there is a bird in the house most of the time, where before, she could get rowdy and nippy quite often. She has just been a complete joy.

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
I'm happy things are working out - seems like this was 100% best for everyone involved. I'm happy you've found a family that will keep you updated, even if it hurts your heart to hear about it.

Tiki deserves a nice happy peaceful life too and now you can focus all your extra energies on this new found lovebug. You did right by Mac every single time and I'm sure his new family will do the same. The pictures of him are sweet.

Glad to hear your treatment is almost over. Hope you're feeling well.

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
I'm glad to hear that, Mike. I'm especially glad to hear your medical treatments are nearly over. Hoping you're feeling fighting fit very soon! Enjoy Tiki! :D

chippy

Feb 16, 2013
Parrots
2 Indian Ringnecks, Tiki (DH's) and Pippin (mine), 1 lovebird, Gemma (DD's) and 1 in birdy Heaven... RIP, Wilbur.
I know it was difficult but it sounds like this was a good solution for both Tiki and Mac. Glad they are both happier!

Most Reactions