My Indian ringnecks feather have changed colors

Sujevan

Apr 18, 2024
Parrots
Indian ringneck
So a couple days ago I looked at my parrots back and I saw it turning green. Some places near his head as well. I have searched it up and it may be liver problems but Iā€™m not sure. If anyone could help me out that would be amazing, thank you!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    295 KB · Views: 16

Featherii_Fids

Jan 15, 2022
Media
UAE, Abudhabi
Parrots
Yuko [M] - Yellow headed Budgie. [Healthy, Tame.]
Snowii [F] - BV dilute opaline lovebird. [Healthy, hand-raised.]
Luna [F] - Indigo budgie. [RIP,.]
I may not be a irn owner but this has happened to me with my lovebird- What is the little one's diet? how old is he?

Featherii_Fids

Jan 15, 2022
Media
UAE, Abudhabi
Parrots
Heā€™s turning 6 months old and he has a seed diet
do you think he's going through a molt? his first molt? during my lovebird, snowii's first molt, not only did her feathers look ruffled- they started falling off.

at first i thought this was pbfd and thought about the worst (pbfd means psitticine beak and feather disease, it's incurable and shortens the victim's life span, causes the bird to go completely bald all over the body.). then, i decided to go to a pet store to diagnose, the person told me its dietary issues and thats when it occured to me- her diet didn't consist of much at the time, just pellets and a little bit of greens- but when i improved her diet with more veggies and a little bit of vitamin supplements, her feathers all grew back-

I'm not saying this isn't pbfd- you can't really say what it is tbh, it seems he is missing some feathers that should soon grow back in. one way to check if the bird has pbfd or not is to take a fallen feather and look at the lower tip, if its bloody there then it may be pbfd. this could even be plucking, is he also ruffled on his head?

OP
Sujevan

Sujevan

Apr 18, 2024
Parrots
Indian ringneck
do you think he's going through a molt? his first molt? during my lovebird, snowii's first molt, not only did her feathers look ruffled- they started falling off.

at first i thought this was pbfd and thought about the worst (pbfd means psitticine beak and feather disease, it's incurable and shortens the victim's life span, causes the bird to go completely bald all over the body.). then, i decided to go to a pet store to diagnose, the person told me its dietary issues and thats when it occured to me- her diet didn't consist of much at the time, just pellets and a little bit of greens- but when i improved her diet with more veggies and a little bit of vitamin supplements, her feathers all grew back-

I'm not saying this isn't pbfd- you can't really say what it is tbh, it seems he is missing some feathers that should soon grow back in. one way to check if the bird has pbfd or not is to take a fallen feather and look at the lower tip, if its bloody there then it may be pbfd. this could even be plucking, is he also ruffled on his head?
He might have dietary issues but Iā€™m not sure

Featherii_Fids

Jan 15, 2022
Media
UAE, Abudhabi
Parrots
He might have dietary issues but Iā€™m not sure
the reason i asked was because a seed diet barely consists of nutrition a parrot needs- the seeds may have essential fats, but giving seeds as a main dish to birds are like giving your baby a diet solely consisting of bread. in the wild, the birds do feed on seeds alone but they eat varieties and actually burn off all the fat they had taken in by flying miles and miles to forage. but in captivity, it can never fly as much as its wild siblings- which is why Pellets were introduced, they contain good amounts of little fat and also contain the necessary amount of vitamins and minerals a bird needs. but just because of this, bird's shouldn't be given pellets alone- a parrot's diet should consist of 10% seeds, 30 % pellets, 20 % fruits and 40% fresh veggies.

OP
Sujevan

Sujevan

Apr 18, 2024
Parrots
Indian ringneck
the reason i asked was because a seed diet barely consists of nutrition a parrot needs- the seeds may have essential fats, but giving seeds as a main dish to birds are like giving your baby a diet solely consisting of bread. in the wild, the birds do feed on seeds alone but they eat varieties and actually burn off all the fat they had taken in by flying miles and miles to forage. but in captivity, it can never fly as much as its wild siblings- which is why Pellets were introduced, they contain good amounts of little fat and also contain the necessary amount of vitamins and minerals a bird needs. but just because of this, bird's shouldn't be given pellets alone- a parrot's diet should consist of 10% seeds, 30 % pellets, 20 % fruits and 40% fresh veggies.
Ok ty

Most Reactions