My lovebird is biting his 'feet'

BirdyBrain

Nov 1, 2016
Fellow Wing Flappers,
My lovebird has been biting his feet (or whatever "feet" are called in bird lingo) on a fairly regular basis for the last two weeks or so. I don't see any sore spots on his feet, and I'm certain he's not biting his nails -- definitely his feet. He's far more apt to do this when he's relaxed and just hanging out.

Is this normal?
Could this be a sign of an underlying medical problem?
Maybe a new diagnosis: Lovebird OCD?

I'm not worried, but I'd be remiss in not tossing this out to the experts in Planet Lovebird.

Thank you,
Yoda's Daddy:green1:

ParrotLover2001

Dec 20, 2016
In my parents house
Parrots
A cockatiel, a bourke, and three budgies
Jordan does that too, so do my other birds. I believe it is part of preening. Just trying to clean their feet. But if there is blood, sore spots, mites, and other things out of the ordinary, a trip to the vet is a must.

Sent from my Galaxy s8

OP
B

BirdyBrain

Nov 1, 2016
Thank you for your feedback.

Another 'bird person' elsewhere suggested that, in addition to considering a trip to the vet, I first try putting a little olive or coconut oil on his feet. How does that sound?

Much appreciated!
:rainbow1:

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Coconut above olive IMO. AV visit if it's constant chewing like a definite irritation. Do look for sores etc.

Plum has/does do this from time to time, accompanied with some funny noises. Funny birds.

So we are not the one and only forum then? ;-)

Last edited:

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Cheeky my whiteface tiel bites his feet. He actually appears to have a "fight" with them.
He makes noise like he is angry at them.

Most Reactions

Latest posts