my birds foot

pebbles1553

Nov 30, 2023
Media
Parrots
lovebird
hi im new here, but i wanted to know if any of you know what is wrong with my bird's foot? she has a scab on the side of her foot, and there are some of the scales on the side of her foot are yellowish and falling off. any recommendation on what i should do? thanks! i tried to get a good picture, its kind of hard sorry! its the foot that is showing.

Attachments

• pebbles foot.png
    pebbles foot.png
    355.8 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

4 way borbs

Sep 26, 2023
Media
Waukee Iowa USA
Parrots
Smokey | Athracite parakeet
Sky | cobalt, albino, yellow parakeet
Andy | Green texas clearwater
hi im new here, but i wanted to know if any of you know what is wrong with my bird's foot? she has a scab on the side of her foot, and there are some of the scales on the side of her foot are yellowish and falling off. any recommendation on what i should do? thanks! i tried to get a good picture, its kind of hard sorry! its the foot that is showing.
Looks like it's infected. go to your bird vet and get some antibionics

OP
pebbles1553

pebbles1553

Nov 30, 2023
Media
Parrots
lovebird
Looks like it's infected. go to your bird vet and get some antibionics
yeah maybe, its not bumblefoot tho, i think her feet r just dry or something, do u think it could be because of a sandpaper perch i have in her cage?

4 way borbs

Sep 26, 2023
Media
Waukee Iowa USA
Parrots
Smokey | Athracite parakeet
Sky | cobalt, albino, yellow parakeet
Andy | Green texas clearwater
yeah maybe, its not bumblefoot tho, i think her feet r just dry or something, do u think it could be because of a sandpaper perch i have in her cage?
maybe and parrots HATE those perches.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
That Red Spot on the Side of the Claw, below the nail: Looks Like a wound /cut!

There could be an infection, but they are not common in this area unless the wound or cut is deep.

There is a possibility that it was a pinch or a cut from the cage. Inspect the cage for pinch points or sharp edges and repair or cover it /them. Remove the sandpaper perch(s) until this heals!

If it does not show signs of healing or becomes worst, it will be time to rush to the Avian Vet.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
oh ok, my bird seems to like it. i put it so i could file her nails down
Pebbles is a real sweetheart to let you hold her like that without biting you!

Please get rid of the sandpaper perches. They don't help keep their nails filed because the tips of the nails aren't in direct contact with the grit but the bottom of the feet are and it can cause foot sores. Sandpaper would only file their nails if the bird walked a lot on a flat sandpapered surface and the nail tips were in direct contact or if the sandpaper perch was so wide that the bird's feet were almost flat.

OP
pebbles1553

pebbles1553

Nov 30, 2023
Media
Parrots
lovebird
That Red Spot on the Side of the Claw, below the nail: Looks Like a wound /cut!

There could be an infection, but they are not common in this area unless the wound or cut is deep.

There is a possibility that it was a pinch or a cut from the cage. Inspect the cage for pinch points or sharp edges and repair or cover it /them. Remove the sandpaper perch(s) until this heals!

If it does not show signs of healing or becomes worst, it will be time to rush to the Avian Vet.
thank u will do

OP
pebbles1553

pebbles1553

Nov 30, 2023
Media
Parrots
lovebird
Pebbles is a real sweetheart to let you hold her like that without biting you!

Please get rid of the sandpaper perches. They don't help keep their nails filed because the tips of the nails aren't in direct contact with the grit but the bottom of the feet are and it can cause foot sores. Sandpaper would only file their nails if the bird walked a lot on a flat sandpapered surface and the nail tips were in direct contact or if the sandpaper perch was so wide that the bird's feet were almost flat.
oh ok thx! btw, it was a real struggle for her to let me hold her like that, she NEVER lets me, so although she did struggle i think she might have known i was trying to help her cuz i was able to do it, in normal cases she would not let me

Most Reactions

Latest posts