My new baby blue-throated Macaw!

OP
Mmock4

Mmock4

Aug 15, 2019
Parrots
Blue-Throated Macaw
So this may be a silly question, but that’s why I joined. Lol

He’s in his baby tub now, around when and how do I introduce him to perches and perching? At the moment of course he’s un-coordinated, and wobbles when walking etc. like you would expect of a baby.

But in planning for his progression, how do you introduce a big, chubby unbalanced baby to perching? And how do you know when it’s time?

Thanks in advance!

Flynhigh

Jan 19, 2019
Murrieta California
Parrots
Apollo (CAG) , Kona (Pineapple conure)
You can start by mounting a natural perch in the tub , maybe 2-3 inches from the bottom of it.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Squeekmouse

May 31, 2017
Illinois
Parrots
Yoda, Green Cheek Conure - Trigger, Congo African Grey
Yup, give him something short and perch-like for him to climb onto, or a very low-mounted perch, and once he is able to balance on it reliably, graduate him higher. :)

Yoda was clumsy and hesitant with perches at first also, as was Trigger.

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
Congrats! I love blue throat macs, they are the mechanics of the parrot world. You will see when he gets big - the cage better be a welded one, cuz any one that is screwed together will quickly be dis-assembled. And creatively closed cage doors will be a must.

Copy that, if it ain’t welded I will make sure it is!(Welder by trade) I look forward to making puzzling toys for him, sounds like just the parrot for me!

He’s getting a very noticeable blue caste to him this morning! He’s going to need a larger baby tub pretty soon, lol. This guy is a full body eater, when the syringe touches the corner of his mouth the wings flap, the legs move, the head bobs, the most herky-jerky feeding response I’ve ever seen. Lol

Lbx8WC9.jpg

Oh my goodness, isn't he the sweetest. :heart:

I may have missed it, what is his name?

I agree with the above posts, a low perch he can step up on.

OP
Mmock4

Mmock4

Aug 15, 2019
Parrots
Blue-Throated Macaw
Update picture time!

5SUt2Zj.jpg

wV1HbhH.jpg

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Cuteness overload!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
Mmock4

Mmock4

Aug 15, 2019
Parrots
Blue-Throated Macaw
Loves his scritches and playtime!

4u6ad1D.jpg

uTTla6x.jpg

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
BTM's are one of my all time favorite big macs...

Probably the smartest of all of them.

One of the best fliers... and the goofy factor is off the hook....

So is the take your entire house apart the second you turn your back factor...

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Mark meet Mark !

Birdman666 is the macaw guru here, read everything he has ever writtenon this forum pal, its pure gold!
Mark please keep an eye out on this fellow, his BTM is precious to us all at this point.

Mmock4, even tho he like the scratching under his wing, its not a good place to do tha once he grows uo - its a stimulation trigger for mating behaviour. Head and neck only.

He s so darn cute, un believable!!

NAME, please???
Name,pleease
Oh what's his name,PLEASE!!!

OP
Mmock4

Mmock4

Aug 15, 2019
Parrots
Blue-Throated Macaw
Thanks for the heads up Birdman, and wrench! I have since read about the “erogenous zones” and will avoid them as he/she matures. Lol

He’s starting to become quite goofy and playful now! Loves to back up and “pounce” at me and snake his head around, and enjoys a “rough” play session. Lol

I am glad that they are known to be very intelligent, I do plan on training him lots of tricks, I have always wanted a very interactive and affectionate bird.

10-4 on the destruction, he will be showered in plenty of toys, and somebody will always have an eye on him.

Pics to follow!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I finished hand feeding one of these for a friend of mine whose breeder let the bird go to an inexperienced hand feeder way too soon. She called me, and I took the bird and finished feeding it for her.

I kid you not. This bird still a baby. Not even all there yet. Put her back in her cage. Closed the door. Latched it. And about the time I sat back down upstairs that bird had (1) unlatched the cage door. (2) climbed down. (3) crossed the bird room (4) navigated the stairs, and (5) was right back on my lap in two seconds flat...

OP
Mmock4

Mmock4

Aug 15, 2019
Parrots
Blue-Throated Macaw
I finished hand feeding one of these for a friend of mine whose breeder let the bird go to an inexperienced hand feeder way too soon. She called me, and I took the bird and finished feeding it for her.

I kid you not. This bird still a baby. Not even all there yet. Put her back in her cage. Closed the door. Latched it. And about the time I sat back down upstairs that bird had (1) unlatched the cage door. (2) climbed down. (3) crossed the bird room (4) navigated the stairs, and (5) was right back on my lap in two seconds flat...

Funny story Mark! Speaking of which he’s getting switched to a larger baby tub soon because he’s figured out between using his beak, and really stretching that leg, he can almost get his foot up onto the edge of the tub.

I can tell already he’s going to be a smart, and fun character.

WakaWaka

Supporting Member
Jun 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Baltimore Maryland
Parrots
Arika - Blue & Gold Macaw
It sounds like you are going to have a very cute and active "flying toddler" to deal with :) You're also going to have your hands full. LOL

Mark's shared wisdom in his posts are the best.
Actually we would read his (and others) posts to Arika. Sitting by her condo with a laptop, she would go to the bottom or hold on to the side and just listen. It was a great way to get her comfortable to her new home and also for us learn from others here in the forums.
Please keep the adorable pics coming :)

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Somewhere on this site is a picture of that bird plus my two... sitting outside under the tree. The zons and the CAG were playing in the tree. All three of the macs were being velcro birds.

DO NOT SET ME DOWN!

Don't know where it is now, but it was many years ago. Six? Seven? I've lost track. Might have been purged.

petwaitress

May 27, 2017
My BTM is very smart and devious! His name is "Indigo" but lately he's being called "Destroy-O". Right now his favorite saying is "BROKE IT!".

While I was out of town, he couldn't get his cage unlatched so he took the door off!

Get ready for mayhem!

OP
Mmock4

Mmock4

Aug 15, 2019
Parrots
Blue-Throated Macaw
My BTM is very smart and devious! His name is "Indigo" but lately he's being called "Destroy-O". Right now his favorite saying is "BROKE IT!".

While I was out of town, he couldn't get his cage unlatched so he took the door off!

Get ready for mayhem!

Wow! Took the door off, really? I have a feeling I’ll be doing some security updates on his new cage lol. “Broke it!” Haha

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Can't stop laughing cuz it brought back memories....

My RFM did the exact same thing at that age... disassembled her door!

Oh yes they can!

Most Reactions