My new baby Clara the Pineapple Conure is home **UPDATED WITH PICS**

bkbirdlady

May 16, 2023
Brooklyn
I actually picked her up last Sunday so its been a few days. It's been fun so far, although I'm feeling a little guilty that she is home alone. I pick up her brother in two weeks, since her arrival was a bit unexpected and early. I have her in a smaller cage until my SO can come by this weekend and help me assemble it (it's huge and just got delivered on Tuesday). Work has been a bit busier than expected this week so I haven't been able to get home as early as I like. So pretty much I stress all day about her being alone and bored (she has toys just not all of the ones I plan for the larger cage). I hope she doesn't end up scarred for life.

She does seem to be warming up to me. The first day as soon as I approached her cage she would move. Now she watches but doesn't seem scared.

She wouldn't take food or treats out of my hand until one day I was cooking with peppers and brought her a slice. She grabbed it right away so clearly peppers are a favorite. The day after she did that I held out some millet spray, and now she immediately takes from my hand when she sees me standing with food.

She finally let me touch her wing a little yesterday before she moved away. I've put the tip of my finger by the bars with no food just to see her reaction and she grabbed with her beak as if to eat but it was more like a gentle nibble if that makes sense.

She also has a temper. Last night her nighttime food (I put food out in the morning, then again in the evening when I get home) was topped off with pellets (seeds at the bottom since that is what she is used to eating at the breeder). She squawked for a good 10 minutes next to her food bowl. She doesn't like Roudybush.

She also knows her bed time. Even though it is still light here at 7:30 she was on the back perch closest to her favorite toy dozing off before I covered her cage.

I plan to spend lots of time with her this weekend. Any tips on next steps? I would really like to get her finger trained so I can start bringing her out of the cage.

I'll update with photos. The ones I have so far are from her first few days when she stayed in the corner.

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
Congratulations! What is her name? (Edit: I see it in the title - Clara!) It sounds like you are off to a great start and taking things slow, which is very good.

Keep up what you’re doing with giving her treats through the cage. As she gets more and more comfortable you can open the cage door and offer a treat from a distance with the door open. Wait for her to come to you - don’t grab her out of the cage just let her come to you. Once she is eating from your hand that way you can see if she will eventually step onto your hand. Millet spray is the perfect treat to use for this because it lets her take the treat without getting too close so she will be more comfortable. It will likely take a few tries before she will step onto your hand.

I’d also keep spending time on the room with her - talk to her and just let her see you.

Pictures would be great!

I would also suggest you leave pellets out for her all day long instead of taking them away. You can take away fresh food and offer that twice a day if you want but she needs pellets available all the time.

Last edited:

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Yeah I just leave the pellets out and the seeds are the treat. I realise your changing diets so not now..... but later......

Conures also like fruit and veggies, apples, cauliflower, broccoli, berries. But sparingly a shelled (unsalted) peanut is a very special treat. Or a sunflower seed.

The biggest piece of advice I can give to any new bird owner (and I'm making assumtions here) it's not "that" hand raised.....is to never show you're afraid of the bird or give off that vibe. Be as confident and secure as if your going for a rock or a toy or your phone. If you're hesitant the bird will feel that and be hesitant and "FEEL" something isn't right. Just do everything you do as casually as you would expect it to go. As if you've been together a decade. Be cheery and socia/vocall, bird lunges, be like why you do that silly. Talk a lot, read the body language..... But be CONFIDENT, no thoughts of wow I wasn't around enough in the first few days....the bird needed those first few days probably.

Your off to a good start.

Personally I'm not worried.

OP
B

bkbirdlady

May 16, 2023
Brooklyn
Thank you!! Her pellet seed mix stays out all day. I just refresh it at night in case she didn't have enough. Last night I wanted to see how she would react to a bowl with just pellets (even though the seeds were on the bottom). Not good. I have Tops and Harrisons pellets to still try. She does eat the Higgins pellets. I just wanted something a bit more natural.
IMG_1493.JPG
IMG_1496.JPG
IMG_1498.JPG

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Thank you!! Her pellet seed mix stays out all day. I just refresh it at night in case she didn't have enough. Last night I wanted to see how she would react to a bowl with just pellets (even though the seeds were on the bottom). Not good. I have Tops and Harrisons pellets to still try. She does eat the Higgins pellets. I just wanted something a bit more natural.View attachment 51603View attachment 51604View attachment 51605
Welcome home Clara, and congrats @bkbirdlady, she's a beautiful girl!! 😍

Most Reactions

Latest posts