In love with a canary?

Eleanor

Jun 16, 2023
Parrots
GCC
I have a male GCC, Chico, that we bought at a pet shop about 6 weeks ago. He was NOT at all tame or trusting but has come a long way. That's another story. I also have a zebra finch pair in a small cage and a much larger cage with a canary pair and society finch pair. The female canary is nesting in a seed dish (sigh... she does have other options) and Chico seems obsessed with her. He will cling to the side of the cage at eye level with her. She has no fertile eggs and I know she's still receptive because the male canary tries to breed her. Any idea whether Chico may know this too? There are days I have to shoo him away almost constantly. If he is not eating, or on me, he's after her!

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Welcome to the forums!

It is not uncommon for different species parrots or other birds in captivity to bond or want to bond, this often happens with same sex pairs too.
One of my male budgies is in love or would like to be with my green cheek male, and flirts with him all the time.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
I have a male GCC, Chico, that we bought at a pet shop about 6 weeks ago. He was NOT at all tame or trusting but has come a long way. That's another story. I also have a zebra finch pair in a small cage and a much larger cage with a canary pair and society finch pair. The female canary is nesting in a seed dish (sigh... she does have other options) and Chico seems obsessed with her. He will cling to the side of the cage at eye level with her. She has no fertile eggs and I know she's still receptive because the male canary tries to breed her. Any idea whether Chico may know this too? There are days I have to shoo him away almost constantly. If he is not eating, or on me, he's after her!
I have a not dissimilar situation with my Varied lorikeet, Lovejoy, and a newly acquired (as of just this last Saturday) princess parrot hen called Peach. Peach fell instantly and madly in love with Lovejoy literally at first sight, and yes they are both parrots but Peach is at least twice his size, and as species go they could hardly be more different. But there's something about him that she fell in love with, and the heart wants what the heart wants I guess! 💖

Most Reactions

Latest posts