My new birdy buddy

Birdy916

Banned
Banned
Oct 12, 2013
I adopted this awesome Jenday Conure over the weekend, he is such a little sweetheart.
I dont know how old she is, or whether hes even a he or a she, but Imma get a dna test soon so at least Ill know that much.

Hes got a great cage and she seems to love it here already, even likes teasing the dogs.

She has been here for about 48 hrs now, he was great the first few hrs, a little skittish yesterday, but last night before bedtime I won her over with about 3 sunflower seeds.
Now he is on me like glue today.

He eats pellets, doesnt bite, doesnt pluck, and so far has only let out about 10 total screams, my house is quiet(even with 2 dogs) and she really picks up on this, "talking" to me instead of screaming at me.

She steps up, he comes out of and goes back in the cage with no fuss, she is always in my line of sight, he doesnt scream, and she is very affectionate and comical, almost like a dog trying to please me.

I got the cage for free from a buddy, got the bird for free thru an adoption rescue, he also came with a brand new bag of pellets and seedmix, but I did spend about 120$ on toys and such.

So here is my new little birdy buddy, I call him/her Pirate now :)

And his awesome cage that she settled right into

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Welcome to the forum!!! Thanks for sharing your story and photos with us. He/she looks really good and sound like was well trained and socialized!

OP
B

Birdy916

Banned
Banned
Oct 12, 2013
Thankyou sir, and yes I did luck out!
Pirate is the most well-behaved bird ever, and she is already bonding to me and I cant wait to try my hand at clicker training him.
Im very happy with my bird adoption experience :)

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I guess it was one of those meant to be situations! Pirate is a very lucky bird to have you!!!!

KimKim

May 5, 2013
Parrots
CAG
Great pictures of her, I funny how you switch back and forth calling him she or he :)

bob1

Jul 21, 2013
California
Parrots
Chico the Cinnamon Green Conure and Malik the Congo African Grey
Awesome bird. He is so lucky to have you.

ShellyBorg

Apr 8, 2013
Redding, CA
Parrots
TAG Spirit,RLA Danny,Senegal Damon, Parrotlet Opal, B&G Paris
Love stories like this! You will have so much fun with your buddy.

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Do you live in the San Fransisco bay area?(because of your icon lol). If you're located in the south bay I can share a awesome pet store with a excellent parrot section, and two of the best certified avian vets.

OP
B

Birdy916

Banned
Banned
Oct 12, 2013
Thanks everybody I appreciate the nice comments :)

I forgot to add, one of the perks of parrot ownership is that I now have a use for all the dang junkmail and advertisements that I hate getting.... ;)

OP
B

Birdy916

Banned
Banned
Oct 12, 2013
Do you live in the San Fransisco bay area?(because of your icon lol). If you're located in the south bay I can share a awesome pet store with a excellent parrot section, and two of the best certified avian vets.

Well, Im from a few towns south of SF on the peninsula, but I live in Sac now.
But Imma 9ers fan thru and thru, season tix....

I have a great new parrot shop right about 1/2 mile away from my front door called Parrot Planet, and there is The Bird Shop about 15mins drive away.

And the rescue I got my bird from gave me a huge folder with tons of good tips and info, including the avian vets in the area, one of which is pretty close to me.

Thankyou for the offer :)

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
The Bird Shop is located in Sacramento, right off of Auburn Blvd. :)

Indeed, it looks like you've got a great new buddy! :D

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
Great pics!! It sounds like you found a bird who really fits in with you. Do you think s/he acts more like a boy or a girl? I love playing the guessing game before finding out the DNA results.

Ashleigh86

Sep 12, 2013
California
Parrots
Female Sun Conure-Indy Female pineapple green cheek-Tiki
What a beautiful bird! Sounds like Pirate is adjusting well! I also got a free cage from a friend that is huge! So great when it works out that way :) I will be DNA testing mine too, it drives me crazy not knowing what Maui is lol Good luck with the clicker training! It's working well for us. We are also working on a harness, but that is going to take a while and a lot of patience lol

OP
B

Birdy916

Banned
Banned
Oct 12, 2013
Lmao, I totally just caught my parrot chokin his chicken on his fuzzy sleeping hut!

The bird definately looked like it was "giving" rather than "recieving", does that mean its a male, or do both sexes do..... that.

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
Of course don't quote me on this. A breeder once told me the males have blockier heads and the females heads are narrower.Fun info [sometimes with their tricks their right. His head looks a little blocky :) love the palace you have him in . I have a sunconure ,but her wings will not turn yellow [their green].Starting to think Gingees a Jenday . Would explain why shes so quiet [Suns can be loud !!!]

Most Reactions

Latest posts