My parakeet fight !!!!

Karengee

Dec 22, 2010
I have 2 parakeets one male and a female I've had the male for almost 2 years, just bout the female about 6 months ago,since Ive had her she has laid 21 eggs and they are not fertile, I've watch the male and he does not complete the mating, so she still lays eggs, I didnt know she was a hen,,,geez...:rolleyes: . Now they fight ..I dont know why, I came home today and the male is all bloody,his feet ..:blue2: so I clean him up and but him in another cage. Why do they fight ? Lil'Loo is my male and he my world so sweet and plays with us when he comes outside..I dont want him hurt.. should I give her away ? I've got a Cockatail who is 20 years old... :grey:He'll be 21 Feb 14

Crazy4Birds

Oct 20, 2010
CT and FL
Parrots
Nicky (sun conure); RIP Gracie (senegal) and Benson (cockatiel)
Just because they fight doesn't mean you should give her away. Just keep them in separate cages. Besides, it might be better for the female so she won't lay as many eggs. 21 eggs in 6 months is a lot and probably isn't very healthy for her. She was probably just frustrated with Lil'Loo. Who knows, they may even become friends once they both have their personal space.

Recently my boyfriend's cockatiel attacked his other one and they have been in the same cage for about 10 years. They live in separate cages now, but it just goes to show that any two birds can fight no matter how long they have been around each other. I would suggest keeping the female but just keep a close eye on them if they are both out of their cages at the same time.

Ratzy

Apr 7, 2010
Media
Hamilton, Victoria, Australia
Parrots
See siggie :)
Can you post some pictures of the 'male's' cere? Two of my female's sometimes mate. That could also explain why the eggs aren't fertile. Remove any nest boxes or snuggle huts. Laying eggs is NOT good and will kill them in the end.

Most Reactions