My parrot - budgie is sick, Please help me ASAP

Vendamne

Apr 24, 2020
Hello. I'm writing to you this thread because my budgie is sick. I have big house, and the seperate room for the 2 parrots- budgies. Two days ago budgie started to move where sunshines are. She could sleep and sunbath for a few hours in a day, But today she started to feel sick. She is weakened and she has climbing problems. Moreover she has dried feces on the anus. I cleaned it, she released feces and began to eat. I'm writing this haotically, but please try to understand me. HELP ME ASAP PLEASE :(.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome, sorry to hear your budgie is unwell.

You mention two parrot-budgies, is the other acting normally? Trying to get an idea if the problem is something in the environment or just the one you describe. Birds try to hide illness for survival, so by the time you observe a problem they may have been sick for a while. A good idea to isolate the sick budgie from the other to prevent spread. Keep a comfortable temperature and ensure access to food and water. Are the droppings normal color and consistency?

Weakness can be caused by illness or lack of eating. If you have a small scale sensitive to grams, try to weigh and compare each budgie. Or you can feel the breastbone area and get a sense of tissue/muscle mass.

Do you have access to an avian vet? A consultation may be the best you can do if sickness and especially weakness persists.

Hope she improves, please keep us updated!

OP
V

Vendamne

Apr 24, 2020
Other one acts normally. The other one is male, the sick one is female. Droppings have rare consistency, I mean they are mucus, and they are light green or dark green. I think that she might eat a bit plant called Dracaena. The problem is that in my area there is no any Bird vet. I'm desperate, I hope she will feel better. She eats now. I will keep you updated :'(

OP
V

Vendamne

Apr 24, 2020
https://imgur.com/a/T2jVmLM

^ Here are the photos of her. I think that she might be trying to born an egg. I don't know :((( She is shaking all the time. Can someone look at my post? Please you people are my only hope.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

Dracena is a plant listed as non-toxic to birds by a reputable veterinary clinic: https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/plants-safe-for-birds

The images present as a bird clearly in distress. Are the markings to left side of her face normal or dried blood?

Please understand none of us are veterinarians or vet-techs, but what you describe may be an attempt to pass an egg. For many reasons, birds have difficulty that results in "egg binding." A potentially lethal event that requires skilled veterinary care. Can you examine her vent (anus) and observe it enlarged compared with the other? An egg that cannot pass will break or leak internally causing infection.

If you absolutely cannot see a veterinarian and have evidence of egg-binding, there are some home-remedies that may help the egg to pass. Generally involve placing the bird in a warm, humid area. I'll be back in a few after searching.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

This thread discusses symptoms of egg-binding and remedies. [URL]https://www.petcoach.co/article/egg-binding-and-dystocia-in-birds-risks-signs-treatment-and/[/URL]

Check out the section "How is egg binding treated" and note most of the methods require an avian vet. Raising temperature + humidity, often in a bathroom with the shower running hot will help. I am not sure about lubricating the vent, perhaps with a small dab of Vaseline? Please note I am not a vet nor recently experienced with this situation.

Other references:
https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/egg-binding-in-birds
https://www.lbah.com/avian/egg-binding/

Please know your budgie may be ill for a variety of reasons other than egg-binding, but your suggestion seems logical. Keep us updated as you can, hopefully other members will join the conversation.

Last edited:
OP
V

Vendamne

Apr 24, 2020
Her Markings are normal. I'm glad that you are helping me out. I can't see the vet, there is no any in my area :((((, and others might be closed due to situation with virus.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

Understand, are you able to check her vent area for clues of possible egg-binding? Larger than normal vent, mucous or other fluid. Difficulty breathing? Please know this can be urgently life threatening, also possible she is having a bit of trouble and may expel the egg normally - if this is indeed the cause.

OP
V

Vendamne

Apr 24, 2020
As my mum told me now, parrot's anus was unnormally bigger. After we cleaned parrot's anus from the droppings, she immadiately made another droppings, but their consistence were rare.

OP
V

Vendamne

Apr 24, 2020
Understand, are you able to check her vent area for clues of possible egg-binding? Larger than normal vent, mucous or other fluid. Difficulty breathing? Please know this can be urgently life threatening, also possible she is having a bit of trouble and may expel the egg normally - if this is indeed the cause.

She has quick, maybe dif***ult breathing. I could notice that she was shaking. Moreover her droppings were and are watery, slightly mucous. I made her a nesting box, but she doesn't want to sit in it too much.

OP
V

Vendamne

Apr 24, 2020
Sorry, my english might be sometimes wrong, Im writing everything haotically. I'm from Poland. I will read your articles

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

Difficulty breathing has many causes, particularly egg binding. If you are absolutely sure no vet is available even under emergency circumstances, you might have to make a decision to treat as egg-binding. That would involve following the first link, placing her in a comfortable location in a small bathroom, elevating the temperature and humidity by running the shower with hot water. Ensure she has access to food and drinking water. The idea is to help pass the egg before it breaks internally.

Again, this is the least best option if you are convinced she is egg-bound. An enlarged vent is somewhat confirmation. Please keep in mind this is a potentially life threatening situation and time is critical.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

Sorry, my english might be sometimes wrong, Im writing everything haotically. I'm from Poland. I will read your articles

No worries, your English is excellent and you communicate clearly!

Do you know any bird breeders or even a knowledgeable person at a pet shop?

OP
V

Vendamne

Apr 24, 2020
I just started to reading your article Scott, and my parrot behaves as this parrot in this movie. She breathes quickly, and she closes here eyes. Just like in this video. [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdLyezPqoU8"]A budgie in respiratory distress. - YouTube[/ame]

OP
V

Vendamne

Apr 24, 2020

No worries, your English is excellent and you communicate clearly!

Do you know any bird breeders or even a knowledgeable person at a pet shop?

Well, I created one from carton box, I was trying to call the shop from where I bought her 5 years ago, but due to virus they couldn't respond. Someone on other forum told me to give her carbon. I will be looking tomorrow to get breeder. In a minute I will send you a photo how I created this, temporarily.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

That sort of breathing is dangerous and a sign of deep distress. Honestly, if there is absolutely no chance of a vet visit and if you do not have access to advice from a knowledgeable breeder or pet store, might have to make the decision to treat as egg-binding, especially if the vent is enlarged. Unfortunately, if this is the case, time is extremely critical. And I want to stress we are going down a path that might not be accurate. That is why it is preferable to have treatment by an avian vet.

OP
V

Vendamne

Apr 24, 2020
I really want to thank your Scott for your help. I wrote so many posts today, and you are the only one who helps. I really appreciate that

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

My pleasure, wish our conversation was under better circumstances. What do you plan to do?

OP
V

Vendamne

Apr 24, 2020
Mum says to me that now her anus is a bit smaller. Tomorrow I will be heading to pet store, and I will try to ask them for advice. In my area the nearest avient vet is 150 kilometres from me (93 miles away from me).

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

Understand, hope she will be well. Please note that if she is actually egg-bound, distressed breathing is a symptom of the egg constricting the lungs and other organs. My desire is you have enough information to make the best possible decision!

Most Reactions

Latest posts