My scarlet macaw is lunging.

Robf1988

May 14, 2023
Parrots
Scarlet Macaw
My wife and I adopted a scarlet macaw 3 weeks ago fromarescue. He appears to be adjusting well. Avian vet said he is in great shape. In the past week, he has been lunging at my wife, the person he has bonded with. Why is he doing this and how can I help him to stop.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
You need to go to our Macaw sub =forum and read the stickies at the top of the page, written by birdman666. IN fact use the search feature and read all the threads and responses by him. He is our resident Macaw expert.

From what I know about Macaws, they bluff, a lot, as a means of determining who is the Big Bird in the house. Call his bluff or you guys are going to have a house being run by a Red Menace.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
You need to go to our Macaw sub =forum and read the stickies at the top of the page, written by birdman666. IN fact use the search feature and read all the threads and responses by him. He is our resident Macaw expert.

From what I know about Macaws, they bluff, a lot, as a means of determining who is the Big Bird in the house. Call his bluff or you guys are going to have a house being run by a Red Menace.
Correct me if I'm wrong macaw people but isn't three weeks a bit too soon for an adult macaw to develop a bond to (vs a preference for) any person

Cindylynn

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Apr 7, 2022
Media
Albums
Correct me if I'm wrong macaw people but isn't three weeks a bit too soon for an adult macaw to develop a bond to (vs a preference for) any person
I wouldn't think so, especially if he was bonded with someone in the past and doesn't have problems trusting humans in general. Trust hasn't been built completely, but they crave connection and attention.

PrimorandMoxi

May 29, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Max (23yo) Blue and Gold Macaw,
&
PRIMOR (8yo) Red Lored Amazon,
&
ABBA (33yo) Red Lored Amazon - RIP
Also, be careful of making that lunging into a game which was a big mistake I made with my B&G.
I would roll up a newspaper and have a swordfight with Max which only cemented his notion that I was the one to lunge at, and bite, and roughhouse.

Cindylynn

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Apr 7, 2022
Media
Albums
I wouldn't think so, especially if he was bonded with someone in the past and doesn't have problems trusting humans in general. Trust hasn't been built completely, but they crave connection and attention.
This is Pancho and I about 2 weeks after I got him!

Attachments

• IMG_20220314_142129214.jpg
    IMG_20220314_142129214.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 30
OP
Robf1988

Robf1988

May 14, 2023
Parrots
Scarlet Macaw
This is Pancho and I about 2 weeks after I got him!
Thanks for the help. I meant to say that Bo, my scarlet macaw, is starting to bond and be comfortable with the family. He is getting on a perch and once we get him away from his cage, he responds to us. He still lunges some at first but it's probably because he's upset about being away from the cage. It's a work in progress.

BirdieDad

Feb 2, 2020
Thanks for the help. I meant to say that Bo, my scarlet macaw, is starting to bond and be comfortable with the family. He is getting on a perch and once we get him away from his cage, he responds to us. He still lunges some at first but it's probably because he's upset about being away from the cage. It's a work in progress.
I would recommend the Avian Behavior Lab if things get worse or don't resolve to your satisfaction. They give some solid advice that may help.

Most Reactions

Latest posts