Tim the Catalina has a thing for me

Joi2fine

Mar 12, 2023
Soo my 20 year old rescue Tim has definitely chosen me as his person, and has recently started showing me how special I am by regurgitating in my hand 🤦🏽‍♀️.. I usually take him from sitting next to me and put him back in his cage after he does this to let him know it’s not ok and he won’t get any more attention when he does this. I only pet and scratch his head, so I’m not sure what else to do to get him to stop. Is this a phase perhaps? Here’s a pic of Tim eating his favorite fruit!
00AF2250-5B43-4A94-BB25-E4E992D88801.jpeg
00AF2250-5B43-4A94-BB25-E4E992D88801.jpeg

Cindylynn

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Apr 7, 2022
Media
Albums
I don't discourage Pancho from regurging, it's natural macaw behavior. I also don't allow it in my hand, I just pull my hand back, he keeps it in his own mouth and eats it himself. I've read some who say that it is courtship behavior, but I don't see that with Pancho. He regurges for lots of people, toys, foods, and sometimes when he's super amused/happy, like a game of peekaboo. It appears to me to be a sign of extreme happiness and comfort and friendship. I don't think it should be discouraged and certainly not punished, but simply routed to where nobody ends up with a handful of bird puke.

PrimorandMoxi

May 29, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Max (23yo) Blue and Gold Macaw,
&
PRIMOR (8yo) Red Lored Amazon,
&
ABBA (33yo) Red Lored Amazon - RIP
I think also if you shun him too much you may become a rival.

I love Tim's fire red lore

PrimorandMoxi

May 29, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Max (23yo) Blue and Gold Macaw,
&
PRIMOR (8yo) Red Lored Amazon,
&
ABBA (33yo) Red Lored Amazon - RIP
I don't discourage Pancho from regurging, it's natural macaw behavior. I also don't allow it in my hand, I just pull my hand back, he keeps it in his own mouth and eats it himself. I've read some who say that it is courtship behavior, but I don't see that with Pancho. He regurges for lots of people, toys, foods, and sometimes when he's super amused/happy, like a game of peekaboo. It appears to me to be a sign of extreme happiness and comfort and friendship. I don't think it should be discouraged and certainly not punished, but simply routed to where nobody ends up with a handful of bird puke.
Do you think we allow macaws to exhibit a bit more affection and give more to them than we would an amazon?
Don't know I just think the bond with a macaw is slightly different.
Or am I completely cuckoo?

Cindylynn

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Apr 7, 2022
Media
Albums
Do you think we allow macaws to exhibit a bit more affection and give more to them than we would an amazon?
Don't know I just think the bond with a macaw is slightly different.
Or am I completely cuckoo?
I've never had an Amazon, so I really can't compare. But I know Pancho is extremely affectionate, towards specific people anyway. Some family he only wants to play with. But to the ones he wants to cuddle, he's very very loving.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Yum. Bird puke. 🦜🤮
I have to say I'd MUCH rather a macaw puke in my hand than bite it!

OP
J

Joi2fine

Mar 12, 2023
Thank you for all the replies!! He’s pretty affectionate to me, and I’ve stopped putting him away when he does it, I just keep a roll of paper towels nearby. He also rubs his tongue down my arm.( strangest feeling since it’s dry)... lol for a Macaw, he's very affectionate.. He snuggles up and wants me to pet his head..

Most Reactions

Latest posts