My Suns & Learning Words

PickleMeDickles

May 17, 2015
Southern California
Parrots
SassyByrd (DYH Amazon) JoJo (GCC) Betty (GCC) DEARLY LOVED fids lost to “Teflon Disaster� 12/17 RIP Pickles (GC),RIP Winston (Sun), RIP Lady PLEASE TAKE 5 MINUTES &TOSS OUT ALL YOUR TEFLON NOW!
I have discovered something really helpful with my Suns and learning different words and phrases. They really pick up words/phrases when they are excited. For example, mornings are very exciting in our house. Lots of stuff going on. When my Suns get hyped up I have been detracting them with different words, such as "good morning!". It took them less than a week to start imitating that phrase.

As a side note, I have noticed there is a sort of word extermination during the learning process. When they learn new things they will temporarily stop offering already learned words and pretty much concentrate on the new words. Once they have it down everything comes back.

Other examples are, "bath time" when I give them a bath, "want out" when they really want out. They even seem to be picking up on the meanings of the words. They only say "good morning" in the mornings, etc.

My GCC is still silent. She hardly makes a sound. When she flies around a lot and lands on my shoulder she will make a bunch of muttering sounds but nothing I can pick up on.

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Sun Conure - Ollie- Hatched 08/18/16*

Nanday Conure -Finley- Hatched 10/07/17*

Turquoise Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Paris- Hatched 03/03/18*

Black Capped Conure -North- Hatched 10/10/18
Ollie never has talked so far and all I do is talk to him! I hope one day I can use this wonderful advice. He's 9 months old.

DoubleTake

May 31, 2017
South Orange County, California
Parrots
2 Sun Conures.

R.I.P Lily 3/1/2018 - You were my sweet baby.
I wish I could get my guys to talk but they are too distracted with each other and they are inseparable. They love to play with me but i will start talking to one and one of the others will interrupt by scratching the other's head. If I separate them, they start calling for each other. Ah well, at least I have a happy bird family.

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
Syd is just the opposite. He talks last thing at night. As soon as I start to put his cover on he goes all coy, eyes me intently and then starts practising really quite quietly. There are odd moments in the day when I can see him concentrating but nothing comes out until bedtime.

I guess it's just then when he's thinking up more diversion tactics to delay bedtime!

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
Syd is just the opposite. He talks last thing at night. As soon as I start to put his cover on he goes all coy, eyes me intently and then starts practising really quite quietly. There are odd moments in the day when I can see him concentrating but nothing comes out until bedtime.

I guess it's just then when he's thinking up more diversion tactics to delay bedtime!

Sunnies are notorious for delaying bedtime. Skittles has his own diversion tactic. When I get near his sleep cage he climbs inside my shirt. He know I won't remove him. lol.

OP
PickleMeDickles

PickleMeDickles

May 17, 2015
Southern California
Parrots
SassyByrd (DYH Amazon) JoJo (GCC) Betty (GCC) DEARLY LOVED fids lost to “Teflon Disaster� 12/17 RIP Pickles (GC),RIP Winston (Sun), RIP Lady PLEASE TAKE 5 MINUTES &TOSS OUT ALL YOUR TEFLON NOW!
If it makes you feel better my Suns were at least 1 before they said a word. Then they started adding to their vocabulary like crazy. I handfed both of them for at least 4 weeks so they are super attached to me. They would much rather be with me than each other, although they are housed together and male and female. My Suns are super sweet and have never even laid a beak on me, although my GCC will bite my ear fairly hard when she has to go potty.

It's funny how much I hear about Suns and bedtime. My two are like little timers. At 7:00 pm they are out (asleep). My daughter just graduated high school and had over 30 people over past 1:00 am and the Suns slept through the whole thing as it went on around them.

My GCC is the bedtime delayer. She just mutters and hangs on to the side of her cage. Which is another thing, she sleeps hanging on to the side of her cage. Is this normal?

DoubleTake

May 31, 2017
South Orange County, California
Parrots
2 Sun Conures.

R.I.P Lily 3/1/2018 - You were my sweet baby.
Sunnies are notorious for delaying bedtime. Skittles has his own diversion tactic. When I get near his sleep cage he climbs inside my shirt. He know I won't remove him. lol.

I wish I had a problem with my guys. When 8pm hits all 3 can't wnt to get into their cat bed and settle in for the night. If I wake them out and lay in bed with them. They will give me a kiss and jump back to their bed. In the morning they can't wait to get back into my bed and cuddle under the blankets... bunch of wierdos.

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Sun Conure - Ollie- Hatched 08/18/16*

Nanday Conure -Finley- Hatched 10/07/17*

Turquoise Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Paris- Hatched 03/03/18*

Black Capped Conure -North- Hatched 10/10/18
At 8 pm like clockwork every night Ollie starts getting antsy and flaps towards the upstairs and screams. If we keep him up past 8 he will generally freak out until I put him in his sleep cage. However, when I put him in his cage he then runs around like a crazy bird as I'm covering him. No one would think he's tired..

Most Reactions