My Zon loves this food!!!

torrap

Jun 10, 2013
CO, USA
Parrots
Marley-YSA (hen) -hatched 07/20/2006;
Simba-DYHA (hen)-hatched 06/23/2003
Hey, I finally found something Marley likes to eat...and it's a root!!!
She loves BEETS!!!!!
http://s872.photobucket.com/user/minsk80/media/Marley/013.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0
Looks like she is wearing lipstick...LOL
I cooked beets and purple sweet potatoes tonight. I gave her just beets to try, and she went crazy. She makes this funny sound, I guess trying to tell me "hey, this is good, I like it". The only other 2 times she made this sound after I gave her something to try were when I gave her FISH and SCRAMBLED EGGS.
So 3 things so far. She also likes cooked sweet potatoes, but she didn't make this sound when I introduced it to her.....:)
The sound is actually very funny, almost like a dog bark.....:)
What your Zons like to eat?

Last edited:

iSancho

Jul 3, 2013
I tried giving my amazon beets and he wouldn't have it. So I end up eating it and I liked it. It taste like wet corn so i know my Amazon would like it if he give it a chance because he loves corn. He doesn't like sweet potato either! I tried to offer all the veggies raw, boiled, and even baked. So far I've only found he likes corn.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
If you want them to try new veggies,,, put a little butter on it. After they start liking it ,you can cut out the butter(too much fat,but good VitA). My zons eat almost anything,crab legs are a favorite.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
That is too funny about your Amazon loving beets so much. :)

My Amazon literally will eat anything and everything I put in front of them. They are SO easy and willing to try new foods, especially if they see I show an interest in it, too. :)

iSancho

Jul 3, 2013
How do you present it? I chopped it up raw at first to small tiny bite sizes. And if he doesn't eat it raw then I cook it. I really want him to eat sweet potato so I tried to string it like fries so he can hold it and I baked it. He does try anything new I put out but he won't try it again. So I guess I can keep trying.

davisn456

May 3, 2013
Saint Albans, WV
Parrots
1 B&G Macaw - Frankie
Dumb question I guess, but wouldn't that stain an amazon's beak since it's a lighter color? Beet juice is nearly impossible to get out of just about anything else...I have a couple of drips of it on my countertop that have been there for years.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Wait til you give pomegranate, hope you don't have white walls,LOL.

OP
torrap

torrap

Jun 10, 2013
CO, USA
Parrots
Dumb question I guess, but wouldn't that stain an amazon's beak since it's a lighter color? Beet juice is nearly impossible to get out of just about anything else...I have a couple of drips of it on my countertop that have been there for years.

:)....that's why I posted a picture. She looked so funny, like she is wearing some lipstick or something. But don't worry, it didn't change the color of her beak, it came right off after a very good shower. Also she would let me clean it with my fingers, so no problem with that.
It did change the color of her poop though to bright burgundy...hahaha......

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Have you tried giving her blueberries yet? That will also discolor her poop. First time I saw Sam's droppings after he gorged on some blueberries, I nearly had a stroke, until I realized what it was from. :54:

OrangeWingedKiwi

May 31, 2013
Parrots
Lily - Double Yellow Headed Amazon

Kiwi - Orange Winged Amazon

Princess - Pearl Pied Cinnamon

Chicken - Pearl Pied Cinnamon
Your amazon is a beauty

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment
Have you tried giving her blueberries yet? That will also discolor her poop. First time I saw Sam's droppings after he gorged on some blueberries, I nearly had a stroke, until I realized what it was from. :54:

Pomegranate discolors their droppings too.

OP
torrap

torrap

Jun 10, 2013
CO, USA
Parrots

Blueberries was the first thing I gave her actually. She loooooooooves blueberries. And since we are talking poop here, Marley just pooped here next to my computer....so please don't be offended anybody and I hope you don't find it super disgusting, but here is a picture......LOL
View attachment 7704
Somebody would get really worried ........... but not me.....hahaha.......I gave her beets for dinner.........LOL

Last edited:

iSancho

Jul 3, 2013
does your amazon's poop changes color for corn? or does the urine changes to yellow from eating corn?

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Blueberries was the first thing I gave her actually. She loooooooooves blueberries. And since we are talking poop here, Marley just pooped here next to my computer....so please don't be offended anybody and I hope you don't find it super disgusting, but here is a picture......LOL
View attachment 7704
Somebody would get really worried ........... but not me.....hahaha.......I gave her beets for dinner.........LOL

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! You're right, some people would freak out over that purple beet dropping. :52:

OP
torrap

torrap

Jun 10, 2013
CO, USA
Parrots
does your amazon's poop changes color for corn? or does the urine changes to yellow from eating corn?

I didn't see any significant changes in her poop after eating corn. I did check her every poop for the first few days and worried about it being too watery, too dark, too white, too this, too that, but I would see it going back to normal in a few droppings....so I decided to stop checking it all the time. Beets just made a very dramatic change in the color of her poop, I though it was funny.....

Most Reactions