My Zu...

JenJen

May 29, 2013
Upstate NY
Parrots
Zulu, blue quaker parrot (5.30.13)
Zulu is here at long last! We had a mostly one sided conversation on the three hour ride home, but in the five days Zulu has been with me, s/he has proven to be quite the charmer. Also: so very quiet (and hopefully I'm not invoking Murphies Law by saying that). Vet appointment scheduled for a week or two from now, which was the soonest I could get in. I plan on having them help me get the blood for the DNA sexing and to do a quick check up.

Zulu, from earlier today:
jenjen-albums-zulu-picture9339-image.jpg

JJ

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
What a cutie :). Lovely baby-blue coloring on him/her

cnyguy

Apr 23, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Parrots
Quaker parrot, Ralph
Welcome home, Zulu! :) Most parrots are pretty quiet when they're first settling into a new home, so Zulu won't necessarily stay quiet. :D He could be like Ralph though, and be one of the quieter Quakers.

Poppetsmum

Jul 31, 2013
Parrots
Poppet. A Quaker.
He's adorable. :) I've had my baby Quaker nearly two weeks now and he was very quiet to begin with. Now, it gets to 6pm most days and I swear you could hear him in the next street. :D

I hope you have a great time together. Poppet is trying to talk and its just magical listening to him.

Last edited:

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment
Zulu is here at long last! We had a mostly one sided conversation on the three hour ride home, but in the five days Zulu has been with me, s/he has proven to be quite the charmer. Also: so very quiet (and hopefully I'm not invoking Murphies Law by saying that). Vet appointment scheduled for a week or two from now, which was the soonest I could get in. I plan on having them help me get the blood for the DNA sexing and to do a quick check up.

Zulu, from earlier today:
jenjen-albums-zulu-picture9339-image.jpg

JJ

Shhhhh I thought the same thing about Rio.. Hahahaha now she is a lil chatter box. And can be a pretty loud one too. :30:

You baby is adorable!

OP
JenJen

JenJen

May 29, 2013
Upstate NY
Parrots
Thanks again, everyone! I'm totally enamored of Zulu and can't wait for his/her "playtime" at the end of each day. Totally looking forward to the weekend as I'll be able to stay home nearly all day and spend that much more time with Zu. :)

JJ

OP
JenJen

JenJen

May 29, 2013
Upstate NY
Parrots
It's been...fifteen days since I brought Zulu home and I do believe s/he's finally settled in. Today, for the first time, Zulu climbed onto my hand and amidst a few soft ak's and what I think are purrs, attempted to preen my hand. Likewise, whenever I try and offer up scritches, Zu will grab my finger with a foot and make that purring noise and try to preen my hand while climbing all the way into it. It almost sounds like a growl, but there is no real indication of Zulu bring angry (no pinning of the eyes or tense posture or flared tail feathers)...and the preening efforts are quite gentle. What's more...this activity takes place inside Zu's cage. After a short round, Zu does a tail wag and shimmies closer toward me. Combined with the vibrating head thing Zulu does while preening, I'm beside myself with how darn adorable s/he is... :)

JJ

Most Reactions

Latest posts