Nanday conure humping? Maybe?

pixelandmort

Nov 16, 2015
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Nanday Conure
My Nanday Mort has started rubbing her bum on everything (humping, I guess). Her toys, perches, food bowl... Everything. Is this something I should stop, or be concerned with? I usually try to distract her, but she has started doing it more and more. Any advice is helpful, I'm a newbie! :green2:

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
My two cents... yeah, sounds like hormones!!!

Ever since the Rickeybird hit sexual maturity at about 3-4 years of age, I've had to manage his hormones! If kept on too steady a long day, and too much light, he stayed "in the mood" (aggressive, even louder than usual, pleasuring himself on my neck ) year round. If I keep him on a natural light schedule... up with dawn, down with dusk, year around... THEN he's only a little monster rooster from July to September). He has his own room, so I can do that easily.

Most people think that petting a bird on its back is also stimulating...

tlfisher

Apr 28, 2013
Iowa
Parrots
Cockatiel (daughter's bird)
Rare Parakeet(daughter's bird)
My gcc is always trying to put his but in or near my face. Hormonal?

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

snowflake311

Jun 7, 2016
Tahoe
Parrots
Sprinkels, Black capped Conure/
Olaf, male, Budgie/
Sweetpea, female, Budgie/
RIP Kiwi, female, Senegal
Oh yeah horny bird. Mine will grab my hair and hump my head. He is not allowed on heads. I also try and redirect him to other stuff. Like something to chew on or eat. A bath helps cool him off too.

I need to try the light thing that sounds like the best way to deal with it.

OP
P

pixelandmort

Nov 16, 2015
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Nanday Conure
My two cents... yeah, sounds like hormones!!!

Ever since the Rickeybird hit sexual maturity at about 3-4 years of age, I've had to manage his hormones! If kept on too steady a long day, and too much light, he stayed "in the mood" (aggressive, even louder than usual, pleasuring himself on my neck ) year round. If I keep him on a natural light schedule... up with dawn, down with dusk, year around... THEN he's only a little monster rooster from July to September). He has his own room, so I can do that easily.

Most people think that petting a bird on its back is also stimulating...

Is it a bad thing to let it continue to go on, do you know? She already has a pretty natural light sleeping schedule

OP
P

pixelandmort

Nov 16, 2015
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Nanday Conure
Oh yeah horny bird. Mine will grab my hair and hump my head. He is not allowed on heads. I also try and redirect him to other stuff. Like something to chew on or eat. A bath helps cool him off too.

I need to try the light thing that sounds like the best way to deal with it.

Is it bad to let contine if I cant get her to stop? Even if I can distract her I'm sure it happens when I'm at work or out of the room/house

snowflake311

Jun 7, 2016
Tahoe
Parrots
Sprinkels, Black capped Conure/
Olaf, male, Budgie/
Sweetpea, female, Budgie/
RIP Kiwi, female, Senegal
Don't punish her for this behavior it is normal and not a bad thing. You want to distract it. Try to not let it happen. Yes petting birds on the back is said to get them in the mood. Also feeding warm soft food can cause breeding behavior. The types of food you give can also trigger breeding. Longer periods of light can cause breeding behavior.

Maybe make a wried sound that makes her stop. Or find toys to give her. As long she is not doing it to you its not a big deal. When they think of you as the mate things can get complicated.

It should just be a phase. one she might out grow or do less with time.

How long are the lights on for?
What kind of food do you feed her?
how many toys does she have?
how long is she allowed to play out of the cage?
Do you know the age?

Last edited:
OP
P

pixelandmort

Nov 16, 2015
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Nanday Conure
Don't punish her for this behavior it is normal and not a bad thing. You want to distract it. Try to not let it happen. Yes petting birds on the back is said to get them in the mood. Also feeding warm soft food can cause breeding behavior. The types of food you give can also trigger breeding. Longer periods of light can cause breeding behavior.

Maybe make a wried sound that makes her stop. Or find toys to give her. As long she is not doing it to you its not a big deal. When they think of you as the mate things can get complicated.

It should just be a phase. one she might out grow or do less with time.

How long are the lights on for?
What kind of food do you feed her?
how many toys does she have?
how long is she allowed to play out of the cage?
Do you know the age?

Well, while I was at work this evening she laid an egg (unfertilized).
As far as lights, I work 2nd shift so I assume she goes to bed when it gets dark out, when I come home I cover 3/4 of her cage (since I usually sleep in later than her it let's her be able to be up when she wants). She's sleeping at least 12 hrs, I think.
She's on mixed pellet and seeds, trying to introduce fresh food but it doesn't seem like she knows what's food or if she does she refuses to try it.
She has plenty of toys that I rotate, maybe 3 out to use at a time. She has access to a desk next to her cage at all times other than when she's covered, that's usually where she plays the most.
She does a kind of baby bird feeding motion to my dad and I, usually on our fingers. She's been doing it since we got her (she's a rescue so we have no clue of her past), I never know how to interpret it, but other than that we don't do anything "confusing" like petting her back

Most Reactions

Latest posts