Nanday Conure - wing clipping

JRG

Jul 13, 2016
Colorado Springs
Parrots
Nanday Conure
How often do you need to clip their wings? How do I know when they need clipping? Do I take him to an Avian Vet for this service and what is the approximate cost?

Thanks, guys, you're awesome helping this Parrot newby....

BIRDIGIRL

Jan 25, 2016
Mayo Ireland
Parrots
Rodney Blue Fronted Amazon
RIP Mr Biggles White Fronted Amazon , Elsa and Little Nellow the Lutino Budgies, Lady Primrose a Pied Budgie and English Budgies Houdini Popeye and Olive
Why are you clipping his wings? I dont have a Nanday but I have had a White Eyed Conure in the past and I now have a White Fronted Amazon and 4 budgies and I never clip wings...I cant answer any of your questions as I have no idea when you clip them or how much it costs have you ever considered not clipping them and allowing your bird while supervised to fly round your room and perhaps harness train it for when you bring it outside. Birds that fly are better exercised than those that dont and are also able to flee from a preditor should one ever gain access to your home.
Most certainly if you do decide to clip take him to an AV or to someone who knows what thry are doing as it is terrible and downright dangerous if they are wrongly clipped....i edited to explain what I mean by dangerous...if the wings are clipped wrongly they can fall lile rocks and injure themselves if they try to fly...a well clipped bird should be able to flap its wings and flutter slowly to the ground to land gently .

Last edited:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
1. How often? Depends on how short they are now, when the last time it went thru a molt and how fast your bird grows it's feathers. Best way to tell is observe when it jumps off the cage or stand. If it glides down, then flying is not far off. If it drops quickly, then you have some time yet before a clips is needed. Bird I girl is suggesting you let the feathers grow until the bird can fly. You must make the decision.

2. Best is to have an Avian vet, not a general veterinarian , to clip the wings. So the list, in decending order of preference should be
Avian vet
General vet
Bird store technician
Pet shop technician
You
big box type pet supply worker

Me, personally, I would only consider my avian vet

Most Reactions