Napping 14 week-old GCC?

AngelaB

Jul 19, 2011
Annapolis, MD
Parrots
We have a male yellow-sided Green Cheek Conure and a female Maroon-bellied Conure.
So, my new GCC (just came home on Sunday) seems to be afternoon napping. Is that OK?

I took him to the vet to get checked out yesterday and the vet said the bird was healthy... But, in going over signs of illness to watch for, the vet mentioned that a sleepy bird is the first sign that they are sick.

Hopefully, I'm just being totally paranoid and it's OK for a juvenile bird to be tuckered out during his first week of adjustment!

IolaniAviary

Aug 2, 2011
Parrots
Lovebirds- Mango, Spyros, Ele, Aonani
Cockatiels- Pineki
Quakers- Maggie
Conures- Paco
My birds all take naps, I think your vet was trying to get you to watch for a lethargic bird. The bird would not move much, "nap" all day long, and not be very responsive.

Bobioden

Jun 27, 2011
Denver
Parrots
Maxx & Emma -Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conures (Male & Female)
Maxx a 16 week old YSGCC loves to take an afternoon nap. He climbs into his happy hut a few times a day for naps. He then climbs in it at 8p for the night.

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
Most parrots have a few naps through the day which is normal. However I would say your baby is still getting used to his new home. He will come around. Is he eating plenty of food? Thats a good indication he is fine.

OP
AngelaB

AngelaB

Jul 19, 2011
Annapolis, MD
Parrots
We have a male yellow-sided Green Cheek Conure and a female Maroon-bellied Conure.
Thanks everyone! Good to hear that an afternoon nap is OK. :)

He's eating well... Seems like he's constantly munching on pellets.

I have a tent that he's been sleeping in his night time cage. Perhaps I should get one for the day cage too, so he can nap in peace.

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
Angela. Don't forget the fruit & veggies my GCC just love them as well as sprouts.

OP
AngelaB

AngelaB

Jul 19, 2011
Annapolis, MD
Parrots
Pedro -

I've been giving him a little bit of whatever veg & fruit the family is eating. He tastes it or even eats a bit, but not much.

Today I hung lettuce around the cage and made him a fruit kabob. I put a tiny wedge of lime on the kabob and he liked drinking the juice from that.

I'll keep trying and hopefully figure out what he likes! My canary used to just love to eat apples and baby lettuce. :)

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
I've heard that giving them lettuce isn't actually good for them as it holds little nutrients etc. for them. However if thats the only reason and you're just trying to get him accustomed to new foods, I'm sure it wont harm him.

Can anyone clarify if the lettuce being bad for birds is true or not? :)

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
Iceberg Lettuce isn't recommended for parrots as it can give very runny poos, however cos lettuce is a better choice. Also silverbeet, celery, any healthy food you eat is also good for your parrot except of course the known foods that are toxic to birds.

I try to wean all my babies onto a varied diet before they go to their new homes that way they don't turn into fussy eaters.

Kokihi

Aug 11, 2010
Santa Barbara county, California
Parrots
One Green Cheek Conure: Tori
Tori takes naps ALL THE TIME. He loves snuggling up with by his little cozy and snoozes after a good rowdy play with his favorite bell ball. I'm glad that he does this, actually, because he occasionally gets woken up during the night because a few people I live with have graveyard schedules at work and Tori gets EXTREMELY grumpy when he doesn't get his beauty sleep. After a good nap, he's as sweet as candy.

Most Reactions

Latest posts