near Death experience today

Boysmom

Nov 17, 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
Parrots
Ruby- Solomans Island Grand Eclectus ***
Flora- Panama Amazon
I was in the back yard and smelled something odd. I found my 17 YO son spary painting bike parts on the front porch. I instantly scolded him and walked inside and smelled fumes inside. 10 YO son said Ruby had just flown down the hall and he replaced her on her cage. Ruby began making an awful sound ( I can only describe it as a sound of imminent death, not loud but eery) , I searched for any blood ( she is always clipped and has never flown ) no blood found. within a second she went quiet, her feet were locked to cage and her body was rigid, eyes half open. I pryed her feet off , wrapped her in a towel,and rushed her to nearby woods for fresh air. 10 YO followed with bottle of water and eye dropper, we gave her small drops of water in lower beak, as I called Vet sobbing uncontrolably, vet was in surgery. After about 10 minutes Ruby began to swallow the water. A few minutes later she began to move around. Vet has made it out to check her now, and all is fine, but we will have to watch her all weekend for any wheezing or distressed breathing. We really dodged a bullet !
I dont allow any sprays or cleaners in my house. I only clean with vinegar for safety's sake. Teens never listen, but I bet he will from now forward.
All or this happened within the past hour, so please excuse any spelling errors as I am still quite shaken.

BreannPearlLang

Banned
Banned
Jul 3, 2012
wow..count your blessings! AND have a sit down talk with your sons. make sure that they understand how sensitive your bird is.

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
OMG.. Lucky you were there and able to act quickly ! That is both of us that have had a scarey experience today!!

I was shaking too and have probably also done some tying errors in my post, but I am sure everyone will forgive us for that under the circumstances :)

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
Oh my, thank goodness you caught it in time. But your not out of the woods yet. Like the vet said, keep a close eye on your baby over the weekend. If it were me, I don't think I would be getting much sleep for the next couple of nights. Matter of fact, it might be a good experience for the young one that was spray paint parts. Staying up all night keeping a close vigil on your eclectus might make him think twice next time.

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
i'm so glad it worked out ok. it's always your biggest fear that something like this will happen. i can imagine the panic you must have been in.

lexx510

Mar 13, 2011
Bay Area, CA
Parrots
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
I am so glad everything turned out to be okay. I can only imagine how frightening this must have been for you and Ruby.

kc_y0

Nov 17, 2011
Media
Sydney
Parrots
Eclectus Female - Audrey.
Art - Budgie.
Astro - Budgie.
Mini - Budgie, RIP gorgeous girl.
How horrifying :( Glad she is okay, and hope she will be in the next few days!

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
wow that is very scary and considering he was outside

OP
Boysmom

Boysmom

Nov 17, 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
Parrots
Flora- Panama Amazon
Thanks everyone for the kind words. Ruby is doing great today, breathing is normal and she is playing and chatting away. Both Son's did sleep in the den with me last night so we could monitor her well. It really shook him up and was a reality im sure they will never forget. She seemed to sleep well, even a couple hours longer, as we didnt wake her as early as usual. We thought her body could use the extra rest to heal. It was truly the most frightening thing I have ever been through with a pet.

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
SE Florida and Sullivan County, NY
Parrots
Cody-Blu, female Blue-Crowned Conure, Hatched - (approx) June 1, 2014, in a South Florida tree.

Pritti (Cherry-Head Conure) -- Fly in Peace my beautiful boy. Forever I'll love you.
You did doge a bullet. Thank heavens for that. And kudos on the quick thinking and response to save your baby's life.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Count your blessing.. thank God you reacted quickly.
I am sure you son had a wake up call, got the fright of his life and learnt a valuable lesson.

Keep the bird very close by, sleeping near one another, you with one eye open.

OP
Boysmom

Boysmom

Nov 17, 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
Parrots
Flora- Panama Amazon
Today my son and I were hanging out with Ruby just watching TV. She began chattering away, and we realized she heard every word we said to her during that traumatic near death experience. As her body was rigid and she was unresponsive with eyes half open/closed and breathing oddly, we were saying "Oh my God Ruby please be ok. God help Ruby, Ruby I love you baby, im so sorry, no no dont die Ruby please be ok " and crying hysterically . As she was just chattering away to us today, she started saying these exact words in a paniced voice. Such a good example of how our birds pick up words we say with strong emotions.

Most Reactions