Nearly Lost - Don't Get Complacent!

dhraiden

Jul 14, 2015
Queens NY
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure (Mochi)
Gold Capped Conure (Mango)
Mochi flew out through the front door as I was bringing in a large furniture package last night - me and the miss chased her around the corner one way, then the other, as she flew about the chilly night (it had snowed earlier in the day) only half-illuminated by the street lights (I hate the new bright ones, but will never complain about them again). Our home is in front of train tracks - if by chance she'd blindly flown further south over the pedestrian overpass that crosses them, instead of back towards our voices, things would've turned out very badly. By luck, fate, good spirits, familiarity and recognition, we kept calling her name, she kept squeaking loudly, and we triangulated her to a second-story window-sill of a house half a block down on the same side of the street. I crossed my two flashlight beams on her as she swooped down to perch upon a fence, then SO had her step up, and clamped firmly between her two hands, we hustled her right back in. What a scare!

A little patience could've prevented this - I hadn't made sure SO had actually returned to her cage before I put the front door open; if I'd just confirmed, we wouldn't've had this little panic-inducing run-around, yikes! She just wriggled free and flew either towards me or just into the night because she was curious. We're actually debating a wing clipping for her, since being fully-flighted was definitely a detriment in this scenario. What's even more worrisome to consider is that Mango just follows her everywhere, generally. Again by luck he remained atop his cage playing with toys during the whole mishap. But he's not vocal at all, and in fact LIKES to hide in dark hidey-hole spots. Not a good combination for a lost bird on a cold winter night.

Fortunately they're both safe and warm and well, happily munching away at work with me. PHEW. :bigeyes:

Moral of the story, I guess, is be vigilant, don't get lazy, and never underestimate how quick these creatures are.

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Whew! A great save by your determination and a bit of luck. Thank you for posting this as another reminder of how close we are to the hostile outdoors!

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Phew! So pleased all safe and well now. A good reminder to all that read this I feel.

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
This is so terrifying! Same thing happened with my JoJo, I was hysterical for an hour after I got him back in the house!

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
Thank you.
I honestly appreciate a good scare (with a happy ending, of course) now and then. Keeps us sharp.
Whew!!!!

JohnH

Dec 23, 2016
Parrots
Sulphur crested cockatoo
My heart is pounding reading your story.
So glad you got her back.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I'm so glad to hear Mochi is back safe and sound! Big relief. I always try to be double careful, but you have to hope everyone in the same household does the same.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Indeed..PHEWWWWFF!

We had one of our members awhile ago loose his little 'teil :(

Dusty was on Wade's bed in the bedroom,and Wade opened his front door for whatever reason,and in a blink of an eye,Dusty was up,and out the front door.
Wade later said Dusty was a mile up in the air and flying like a 787 :17: never to be seen again.
Count your lucky stars my friend! maybe it's lotto time for you? lol.

Jim

TexasWade

Mar 13, 2016
Denton Tx
Parrots
Mumble Quaker, hatched 5/25/16
Indeed..PHEWWWWFF!

We had one of our members awhile ago loose his little 'teil :(

Dusty was on Wade's bed in the bedroom,and Wade opened his front door for whatever reason,and in a blink of an eye,Dusty was up,and out the front door.
Wade later said Dusty was a mile up in the air and flying like a 787 :17: never to be seen again.
Count your lucky stars my friend! maybe it's lotto time for you? lol.

Jim

Yep. My birdy got out once. ONCE. He never would follow me from one room to another. It was like doorways were shoulder only zones for him. Until one day I had to run out to the parking lot for something and I trusted him to stay in the other room like always. Then zoom, he was out of there forever.

Now I have another birdy. And he's a clipped birdy.

Most Reactions