Nearly lost Midori...

sixshades

May 19, 2011
Media
Parrots
Midori - Cinnamon GCC
I just had one **** of a scare, if you'll pardon my language.
I was holding Midori, and walking by my dogs, one hand over her back as normal, and my husky puppy decided it was a smart move to spring up and snatch her out of my hand!!!!
With how I was holding her, he got me instead, but she screamed and jumped in fear, leaving ALL OF HER TAIL FEATHERS except one in my hand....... :(

Thankfully my other dogs are NOT stupid jerk puppies, and no one else dared to make a move for her. My boyfriend snatched Niko (the puppy) up and scolded him and threw him in the crate, because I was just beside myself. I was sure she was mortally wounded.

I scurried to push the remaining two dogs out of the room, and didn't even realize Midori was toddling along right behind me till I turned back around to run back and see if I could salvage her surely wounded little body.

She's 100% fine, albeit tail-less (Except for a single feather.) Not a single drop of blood, she stepped right up, gave me kisses, and asked to go back to her cage for a drink, now she's playing with her dropped tail feathers. x_x Sooooo scary. Now I know not to trust that little husky brat with birds!

Last edited by a moderator:

merlinsmom13

Jul 27, 2010
Beckley, WV
Parrots
Merlin a Red Crowned Amazon
I'm so glad nothing happened to her. Take this as a warning, next time will be worse. The puppy will only become larger & better able to do damage. Thank goodness she's ok.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
You do not trust huskies with birds!!!!! I've got two husky and both will kill birds any chance they get. We already picked up 4 birds in the yard this year that they killed, saved a few....these are my 4th and 5th huskies, all the ones before will kill birds too....im glad everything was all right though!

OP
sixshades

sixshades

May 19, 2011
Media
Parrots
Midori - Cinnamon GCC
Oh don't worry, lesson learned. I've dealt with a lot of animal traumas (I've done rescue for 8 years, and have worked at my fair share of kennels and petsmart backrooms.) and NOTHING has stopped me in my tracks like that instant of thinking that fragile little thing was hurt.

She doesn't even seem to notice her tail nub. I gave her a nice sprig of millet and she's hopping around nibbling it up and bobbing at me contently.

Just so, so, so scary.. and the little jerk got my finger, too, so that's all sore. Bad dog! My boyfriend keeps saying how lucky he is that she's fine! Ship his little butt off! (Not really, but boy was I mad at him!)

OP
sixshades

sixshades

May 19, 2011
Media
Parrots
Midori - Cinnamon GCC
I trusted him to not snatch out of my hand, because he has never given me any reason to think he would, before. It's not like I put her on the floor for them to play together......

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
Mine jumps up and snatch them from mid-air...

OP
sixshades

sixshades

May 19, 2011
Media
Parrots
Midori - Cinnamon GCC
Mine is normally well behaved, he's just still a puppy and occasionally does stupid puppy things, like this.
Now that I know he'd do this, I know not to let him around me if I have her. Before just now, I had no reason to think he wouldn't act the same as my other two dogs.

I didn't "trust huskies with birds!!!!!", I trusted my dog, breed aside, to not jump and snatch [what he perceives as] food out of my hand.
I'm sorry that your huskies have always killed birds. None of my dogs had ever harmed another animal before, and I had no reason NOT to trust any one of them.

merlinsmom13

Jul 27, 2010
Beckley, WV
Parrots
Merlin a Red Crowned Amazon
My sister & I had a husky that we loved. He was the greatest dog, protective, good w/kids, fun. We scolded him for killing the neighbors cat, from then on out he buried the poor kitty victims. In flower beds, in the barnyard. He was smart enough to hide his misdeeds, but couldnt seem to curb his natural instinct to kill.

At least he gave you a heads up as far as Midori is concerned. They are great dogs.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
Mine are great with kids, I love them but it is their natural instinct to hunt since they're closely related to wolves!!! Mine have killed a kitten in my backyard as well, they've killed countless animals in my backyard.... none of my other dogs ever killed except huskies, like I've said these are my 4th and 5th husky. I've owned them for years, it is their natural instinct!!! I've owned German Shepherd, Springer Spaniel, Cocker Spaniel, Poodle, Sheltie, Cockapoo, Golden Retriever, Chihuahua, and Huskies.

Abzeez

Apr 26, 2011
WI
Parrots
Bean the Blue Front Amazon, Chico the Ringneck, and Ida the African grey
Back when I worked at a vet clinic, in long ago land, I seen more huskies come in to be put down then any other breed. One killed the neighbors dog, then cat, then tore the skin off the owners hand when it bit her. Everyone of them came in to be put down because they killed another animal.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
Back when I worked at a vet clinic, in long ago land, I seen more huskies come in to be put down then any other breed. One killed the neighbors dog, then cat, then tore the skin off the owners hand when it bit her. Everyone of them came in to be put down because they killed another animal.

They're being misunderstood!!!! It's their instinct, nothing you can do about that part. But the biting of the hand that feeds them needs to be addressed properly, I would NEVER put my huskies down for that reason!!!! They need to be trained strictly! Mine knows better then to bite me, they've done it before but they backed down very quickly. When they want to get at something and you get in their way, it's pretty much your own fault! NEVER stand between them and whatever they're going after, I go from the side and always protect yourself first.

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
aww so glad midori is ok! an never knew huskies to have such a killer instinct so to speak

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
Huskies are so closely linked to Wolfs that it's just expected that they can be quite... 'aggressive'. They are however fantastic dogs, just need a firm owner who knows what the animals are like. :)

So glad your baby is okay, and lesson learnt!
My lucie goose is always losing her tail feathers and she rarely notices, like Midori, I'm sure she'll manage just fine until new ones grow back in. Just give her lots of attention, she'll soon forget about this incident :p

OP
sixshades

sixshades

May 19, 2011
Media
Parrots
Midori - Cinnamon GCC
We have the husky pup, an akita (whose DNA is closer to a wolf, as similar as huskies might seem.) and a chow/husky.
I've been doing rescue and fostering for 8 years now, and have always had a husky or two, either my own or fostered that lived alongside birds, cats, ferrets, gerbils, etc without issue.
I'm new to birds, but I know my dogs. :p This was a startling puppy accident. Any breed of puppy could have done the same.

Midori's just fine today. Nothing different at all, except now she has a little nub tail. :)

Last edited:

Atwee921

Apr 22, 2011
Maine, USA
Parrots
Sprite the cinnamon green cheek conure.
Aww its good that she still likes u. but this reminds me of a horrible accident... the owner of 2 pitbulls came over to my friends house. My friend has 2 little shipoos (**** zu poodle. So that the dogs would bark and fight, the pitbulls stayed on the deck and the little shipoos stayed inside. Then when my friends mom was going inside, the pitbull ran in the door and BIT a huge piece out of 1 shipoo!!! The vet said he JUST survived.

OP
sixshades

sixshades

May 19, 2011
Media
Parrots
Midori - Cinnamon GCC
Makes me wonder why he brought his unsocialized dogs to the friend's house to begin with.

Our foster right now is an older american akita girl who has had little interaction with other dogs. Given the chance she'd most definitely kill one of our three here. Hates him for whatever reason. We're working on it, but since she's 6, the damage is probably already done by her last owner chaining her to a tree most of her life.

Unfortunately, there are plenty of people who don't understand or don't bother to actually socialize and train their dogs, and these things happen. They're powerful animals.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
I trust all the other breeds of dogs I've ever owned with my birds without an issue. They were puppies too and I never had to train them, they just did it and was good to my other animals. IF one of my birds got out of the cage, they would let me know. My German Shepherd used to help me herd the geese back into their house during night time because there's coyotes that would make a meal out of them....I used to live out on a farm house where I had Geese, Rabbits, Birds, Fish, and Dogs.

Amber

Jun 1, 2011
Oh geez! Very very lucky!

I don't let Alex out of the cage until I've scoped the room for other animals, turfed them all out and locked the door. Better safe then sorry.

The only dog I've ever trusted around my small pets was Harley, our blue heeler we had when I was a kid. She was gorgeous. We used to let our guinea-pigs out in the garden on nice days. She would follow them around and keep an eye on them. If anything came for them she'd chase them off! She used to love our cat and birds too. She was the greatest.

Most Reactions