Need a Hail Mary

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Great news, Dani! I hope this upward trend continues!

I'm just seeing this thread, and I hadn't known that Kono was still sick. I think you've gotten great advice so far. (And I definitely learned something new regarding EllenD's diabetes suggestion.) All I can add is that I think you should take her to the vet once she is strong enough so that she can get that x-ray. Blood testing for PDD is unreliable at best, and an x-ray can be a good indicator if there is anything wrong on that front.

I'm hoping the best for beautiful little Kono.

Joon

Nov 28, 2016
Lotus Land
Parrots
Two adorable Yellow Nape Amazons and a Military Macaw. Double Yellow Headed Amazon (RIP)
I'd nix the bee pollen because it is bound to contain some level of residual pesticides/herbicides even if the manufacturer claims it to be pesticide free.

OP
SilverSage

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Thank you all for your help, suggestions, and support. After 2 months of vet visits, tests, medications, etc, Kono passed away tonight. I will let you know if the necropsy turns up anything of value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Oh so very sorry for the loss of Kono, so dearly wanted to find the answers with you.

May your flock console you in your grief.

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
Oh, I'm so sorry. There is no way to assuage the pain, nothing I can scrounge up words for anyway. I do understand what it's like to loose a parrot, and it's not an ordinary loss because it's not an ordinary love. May the good memories soon begin to outweigh the sad ones.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
OH I am so sorry to hear this, after the engcouraging news on Tuesday. Your efforts o Kono's behalf was abve and beyond, and there is no fault to be laid here. Some of us have experienced the loose of a fid before, and we know it always leaves a mark. Both Geri and I offer our condolences to you.

Some day Avian veterinary science will catch up with the knowledge about other kinds of pets and companion animals. I have decided that every time we hear on this board about one of our fids passing away, I will make a donation to our local Veterinary college, with the express wish that it be used to advance avian veterinary science programs. It may be small or large but every thing helps. Here is the link for our local one, Cornell,
Making A Difference

Making A Difference

Fly free Kono

Nicky76

Apr 17, 2016
UK
Parrots
Archie the Patagonian Conure and Chilli and Doris the Kakarikis ❤️
So sorry to hear about Kono, hugs to you [emoji17]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
I am so sorry to hear this, Dani. Sending hugs your way. You did all that you could have for her.

I hope that the necropsy gives you some answers to what exactly happened, here.

Fly free, sweet Kono.

SilleIN

Aug 18, 2016
Denmark
Parrots
Lots of parrots, most of them rescues
Ohh NOOO :smile016: :smile014:

I have so been hoping that little baby would get better. Every time I hear about someone losing a parrot, it makes me weep. I unfortunately know the pain of loosing one and especially if it's before their natural time to go.

I wish there was anything I could say or do, that would lessen the pain. Maybe that she's flying and is happy now :smile024: :smile015:

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
Oh no, I am just so sorry. I was very optimistic that because Kono was so young he would make a full recovery. I was sure between your team of avian vets and experienced bird people here giving suggestions you'd figure out what was going on with him...

I lost my young cinnamon-turquoise green cheek conure this past year to a freak accident. I immediately took him to the emergency hospital, and then followed up on Monday with his regular certified avian vet. He had a bad concussion but he was slowly getting better, and was getting constant care and treatment. He had started eating normally, sleeping normally, and even talking, playing, and flying normally. I thought she was fully recovered and had stopped worrying about her concussion at all. She wasn't a year old. And then one night I kissed her, told her I loved her, put her to bed, and she climbed into her sleep hammock. The next morning her cage was silent, and she wasn't waiting for me to let her out of her cage. I called for her and there was no movement or sound, and I immediately knew she was dead. There she was, peaceful in her little hammock...it was unexpected and shocking. It broke my heart, and I cried for a week on my other birds. Just cried and cried and cried. I still miss her so much...

Nothing at all makes this easier when it happens, but know that we all know how you feel and are here for support. If you ever need someone to talk to about it we're all here...

I'm glad you're doing a necropsy, hopefully they figure out what was wrong with the little baby, and we can learn from his passing.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Donation made, in Kono's name, to Cornell's Veternarian College, for avian science programs.

Most Reactions

Latest posts