May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
So I have a 40gal that I'm looking ti stock with saltwater fish. I currently have a freshwater goldfish aquarium, but I've always loved the beauty (and challenge) of saltwater aquariums. I'm doing a lot of research, and saving up enough money for the initial purchase (I'm starting an Etsy shop, so I'm hoping to have a somewhat steady income). I won't be starting the tank until the summer, when I have time away from school to get used to the care and keeping of whatever species I get.

I am interested in clownfish, small eels (particularly morays), seahorse, and sea urchins. Obviously, I won't be getting them all, nor will I be co-habing species that don't do well together. I also would rather understock than perfectly stock, but I'm fine both ways. I know some members are saltwater aquarium keepers, so any tips?

Last edited:
OP
π•Ύπ–™π–”π–—π–’π–žπ•»π–Žπ–ˆπ–†
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
I am not much help seeing as I only have a freshwater tank, but I hope someone will come along to help you out some more!
Thanks! I'm also a freshwater fish keeper, what fish do you have? I have a cory (I'm gonna get him some friends soon, but he does well in my school of minnows), an oranda, a black moor, a fantail (severly inbred with deformities), and a small school of 3 minnows.

Theo_the _best_birb!!!

Sep 22, 2021
Thanks! I'm also a freshwater fish keeper, what fish do you have? I have a cory (I'm gonna get him some friends soon, but he does well in my school of minnows), an oranda, a black moor, a fantail (severly inbred with deformities), and a small school of 3 minnows.
I have a small 10 gallon with some guppies I got from a friend who had some extra in tank to avoid overstocking so I took them and my tank is also planted we have some glow fish as well. Looking into getting a larger tank but having to do upgrades on other animals currently. I’ll attach a picture in one minute

Theo_the _best_birb!!!

Sep 22, 2021
I’m wanting to get some more plants and what not but here it is for now😁

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    346.4 KB · Views: 78
OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Pretty cool! Can't do cool planted tanks with goldfish, since they're basically water cows and eat EVERYTHING. *sigh*

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Yeah. Seems I can't do morays unless I'm willing to spend 400+ USD on a dwarf golden moray.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
So I have a 40gal that I'm looking ti stock with saltwater fish. I currently have a freshwater goldfish aquarium, but I've always loved the beauty (and challenge) of saltwater aquariums. I'm doing a lot of research, and saving up enough money for the initial purchase (I'm starting an Etsy shop, so I'm hoping to have a somewhat steady income). I won't be starting the tank until the summer, when I have time away from school to get used to the care and keeping of whatever species I get.

I am interested in clownfish, small eels (particularly morays), seahorse, and sea urchins. Obviously, I won't be getting them all, nor will I be co-habing species that don't do well together. I also would rather understock than perfectly stock, but I'm fine both ways. I know some members are saltwater aquarium keepers, so any tips?
I used to have several salt water tanks, and they are definitely a lot of work. Once it's established it isn't as bad, but you still have to test it frequently (we checked mine every day) and fix whatever issue you may find.

There are very few species that seahorses can live with, and most aquarists recommend keeping them in a tank by themselves. Their needs are different than other salt water creatures, and they are fragile.
Clowns are relatively hardy fish, and the really need an anemone to make them happy.
Eels are escape artists. You need to have the entire top closed in so they can't escape.

Salt water tanks are gorgeous, but they can break your heart. We had a 40 gallon reef tank set up, and we bought a new piece of coral and put it in. When we woke up, it had died and fouled the tank The only thing that survived was an arrow crab. Just like that, $3000 of coral was gone:(
We had our 125 crash and lost several big fish that we loved.

But it is still worth it, I miss having a tank now.

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
So, I'm looking into dwarf lionfish at the moment, and I really don't want something that needs a lot of coral, anemonies, etc, for the reasons Terry just stated. I don't think I'll be getting an eel (due to lack of space), but here's some stuff I would currently stock with:
1. Dwarf lionfish
2. Clownfish
3. Some sort of crab
4. Sea urchins (I am fascinated by them, and will probably be getting one of a smaller variety)

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Ok, here's what I think I'm going to do:

1 fuzzy dwarf lionfish
1 Purple Short-Spine Pincushion Urchin
And a small colony of dwarf hermit crabs (haven't decided on species yet)

According to my research, these guys are pretty compatible (though the lionfish may eat some hermit crabs), and this is actually a pretty cool combo that's not super expensive. I've always love lionfish, but had no clue you could keep them as pets until recently!

Now, off to do more research!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Lionfish are amazing, one of my favourites in a tank. Yep, he may eat some crabs for sure.
I never had a dwarf, found this website with some info.

https://www.saltwateraquariumblog.com/dwarf-lionfish-care-guide/
Thanks, I'm doing a ton of research, and the best part is...
THEY'RE COMPATIBLE WITH SEA URCHINS!!
Oh, and also SUPER COOL!

But I need to make sure I can juggle school, a part-time Etsy shop, 4 birds, and 3 tanks (July, my red Eared Slider will be living mostly outside, and honestly doesn't need a ton of care, so more like 2 tanks). I think I can (school work during the afternoon, tanks during the evening, Etsy shop restocks on weekends), but I need to be absolutely sure, because I want to give all my pets the best care possible.

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Here's the plan:
March/April: Move July out of the 40gal
April/May: Buy stuff and set up tank
June/July: Start adding inverts (mainly hermit crabs)
July/August: Add lionfish if possible (once the inverts are settled in and the tank is established)

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I was into saltwater and seahorses.

It's a lot of work and time to get them up and running before you can add any live creatures. Then you have to add them slowly like only one or two and wait and test. Low live stock , as you can keep less than you think you can. The water quality goes down quickly with creatures.

Its a fascinating hobby, an expensive hobby, and they are very delicate creatures. They can only survive in the strictest and narrowest parameters. So like Terry mentioned lots of testing water quality, ph, salinity ect. Usually daily. A lot of interesting and frustrating pests and hitchhikers can show up. In this picture that green fuzz is hair algea one of the frustrating ones....the white specs are harmless little creatures but they can take over and have to be scraped off.
fiefishx (1072 x 804).jpg

I ended up buying several books, joined online and in person aquarium clubs. Befriended staff and like you heck o lot of research...and more research as new issues pop up.

At my peak I had 4 tanks plus a hospital/quarantine tank going, 2 were seahorses , 2 community fun tanks.

I recommend using r/o water not tap water for both mixing and top off. Quality frozen food and powder and liquid food soak supplements depending on your species needs. The best lights and back up equipment like pumps, filters, heaters and 2 salinity testers, for accuracy .

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
I was into saltwater and seahorses.

It's a lot of work and time to get them up and running before you can add any live creatures. Then you have to add them slowly like only one or two and wait and test. Low live stock , as you can keep less than you think you can. The water quality goes down quickly with creatures.

Its a fascinating hobby, an expensive hobby, and they are very delicate creatures. They can only survive in the strictest and narrowest parameters. So like Terry mentioned lots of testing water quality, ph, salinity ect. Usually daily. A lot of interesting and frustrating pests and hitchhikers can show up. In this picture that green fuzz is hair algea one of the frustrating ones....the white specs are harmless little creatures but they can take over and have to be scraped off.View attachment 36632
I ended up buying several books, joined online and in person aquarium clubs. Befriended staff and like you heck o lot of research...and more research as new issues pop up.

At my peak I had 4 tanks plus a hospital/quarantine tank going, 2 were seahorses , 2 community fun tanks.

I recommend using r/o water not tap water for both mixing and top off. Quality frozen food and powder and liquid food soak supplements depending on your species needs. The best lights and back up equipment like pumps, filters, heaters and 2 salinity testers, for accuracy .
Alrighty, thanks! I'll keep that in mind, and get a r/o system if possible (thankfully they're not too expensive for my size tank).

It seems both expensive, and difficult... but I'm willing to give it my best shot, as I love saltwater aquatics!

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Ok, I'm able to afford an r/o system for my tank (thankfully), and the more research I do, the more I fall in LOVE with saltwater fish!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Many aquarium stores sell R/O water . I don't know what the system runs these days? Wasn't to expensive to buy , I stored in 3 gallon jugs. Used a large plastic trashcan to store my mixed up saltwater with a pump running. I changed out my tank water a lot with seahorses

Reef Aquarist

Dec 31, 2021
Libby, Montana
Parrots
None yet
Hello @Stormy Bica I've kept reef and FOWLR (Fish Only With LiveRock) for over 25 years. I highly recommend spending time researching on REEF2REEF.COM community forum: asking questions on the beginner forum, meet members who would love to give advice/help on Meet & Greet. I will post some links to websites with beginning saltwater content and videos. You are wise not to get a Morey. I highly do not recommend them to beginners. They all harbor filthy bacteria in their mouths and can easily bite causing a severe infection. Let me know if you have any questions. Here you go:

The Beginner's Reef:

Here's a plethora of Beginner's Guides from BRStv:

Here's a great website with content and videos: My First Fish Tank: Beginner's Guide to Saltwater Tanks:

Most Reactions