Need Help Our Macaw

BrendaC

Apr 10, 2012
Hi .. Im new to this forum and would like to ask a few questions. I we have a miligold half military and half b/g macaw .. I dont really know its age but I do know that its in its teens .. You see the breeder did not want her anymore and was just gonna let her fly away so rather then see that happen I took her and have had her for at least 8 years now. She is very tame to me hubby he can pick her up and pet her on the back.. She will once in a while allow me to pick her up as long as he is not around to put het on her T Stand .. If he is around she wants nothing to do with me .. even when she lets me pick her up she will not allow me to pet her but yet she lets him? We have her in a big cage in another room .. I was wondering if we moved her to the room that we are all in mostly and let her sit on her T Stand and see me all day long do you think that might help her get closer to me? Im with her home all day long .. Hubby goes to work at 1:30pm and gets home at 11:30pm .. What do you think? I really want her more then semi tame with me. Oh forgot to mention that she will take food from my hand like a banana bisquits or anything.Waiting to hear back

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Bribe her as much as you can with treats. Don't let your hubby give her treats, you be the one that give her treats! Then work slowly with her. She's chosen your hubby as her mate and it's really not easy to stop that. Keep doing what you've already been doing and see how it goes. She may never allow you to do certain stuffs like she allows your husband. My B&G tolerates my partner since I'm never the one that gives him treats. Willie behaves better when I am not around. But as long as he knows I am home, he is super mean towards my partner. I give up trying cause my partner refuses to get close to Willie period....We have quite a few birds so we each have our own bird and most will be fine with either one of us, but they do have their favorite person. So it's usually their favorite person holding them cause that's what they prefer. We both are busy with our own birds so it doesn't bother us if they choose.

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
All pets should be with their family in the room where the family spend most of their time...

My birds sleep in my office at night, but during the day, they're out in the lounge room... Max is out of his cage, when I'm home, and just flies to where ever I am...

Yes, I think you should move her into the room, where you spend most of your time...

A lot of parrots pick one person in the house they're more bonded with, but if you spend a lot of time with the bird, while your hubby is at work, he may bond a bit more to you. Just remember that he needs at least 12 hours sleep at night, preferable in the room he's already used to.

Most Reactions